Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Limbaugh: Valid Point Made or Personal Attack

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im not a huge Rush fan either, but AS SOON as I saw the ad, i felt Fox may have been off his meds. He has been on TV and in public many times recently, and I have NEVER seen him shake that badly.

As to the stem cell thing, I am not talking about that. Only pointing out that I too saw the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't he admit in his book he goes off meds for drama?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he did. From the hardcover edition (I used the search function on Amazon.com), pg 247:

"I had made a deliberate choice to appear before the subcommittee without medication. It seemed to me that this occasion demanded that my testimony about the effects of the disease, and the urgency as a community were feeling, be seen as well as heard. For people who had never observed me in this kind of shape, the transformation must have been startling."

He then follows that statement with a description of his physical actions that he saw while he watched the broadcast on C-SPAN.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what I am learning, its the meds that cause the shaking. If you are off the meds you are stiff and unable to talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again I believe this is incorrect. Where did you learn this?
Old 10-25-2006, 03:20 PM

I don't know for sure. This is a doctor, but he gets money from Fox's foundation:

"What you are seeing on the video is side effects of the medication. He has to take that medication to sit there and talk to you like that. ... He's not over-dramatizing. ... [Limbaugh] is revealing his ignorance of Parkinson's disease, because people with Parkinson's don't look like that at all when they're not taking their medication. They look stiff, and frozen, and don't move at all. ... People with Parkinson's, when they've had the disease for awhile, are in this bind, where if they don't take any medication, they can be stiff and hardly able to talk. And if they do take their medication, so they can talk, they get all of this movement, like what you see in the ad."

http://www.tnr.com/blog/theplank?pid=51219
Old 10-25-2006, 03:45 PM

Anatta,

If you read the excerpt that I posted, Fox follows his state
ment with a description of the movements he was making while he was off his meds. It doesnt quite square with what you are saying.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what I am learning, its the meds that cause the shaking. If you are off the meds you are stiff and unable to talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was Fox diplaying the "shaking" behavior when he was off his meds testifying to Congress? It's well documented that Fox has written that he has purposly gone of his meds when testifying.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Limbaugh attacks Michael J. Fox

[ QUOTE ]
I didnt see the ad. Was MJFox petitioning against the government (legalize research) or for the government (steal my money for his own personal benefit)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael Fox add
Old 10-25-2006, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Limbaugh attacks Michael J. Fox

IMO limbaugh is the one of the most pathetic individuals to exist. I believe he is like most republicans. Loud mouthed, quick to point a finger, not good at rational thought
Old 10-25-2006, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anatta,

If you read the excerpt that I posted, Fox follows his state
ment with a description of the movements he was making while he was off his meds. It doesnt quite square with what you are saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was Fox diplaying the "shaking" behavior when he was off his meds testifying to Congress? It's well documented that Fox has written that he has purposly gone of his meds when testifying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quoted a doctor who is supposedly a Parkinson's expert. What he says about the meds and Parkinson's is pretty straightforward. So we appear to have a contradiction between this doctor and Fox's statements.

I am not sure about any of this. Its possible that Fox goes off the meds in a sacrifice of some auditory proficiency, and in return he doesn't shake as much. This would jibe with his statement regarding wanting to see the true effects of Parkinson's, which, evidently isn't this shaking behaviour, but rather stiffness and inability to talk.

But as you point out, he describes his shaking, and implys its related to the being off the meds. Maybe the actor is being vain, he goes off the meds to lessen the shaking, but wants us to think its the reason he is shaking. Is there a doctor in the house?

And since Fox is quoted as saying he goes off the meds, I can see why Rush made his quote. Perhaps Rush is merely negligent here.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:14 PM

Heh, I just talked to somebody that has Parkinson's and is against embryonic research. He thinks Fox was out of line and his commercial was likely to confuse those that don't know the difference between ASC and ESC. I have to agree. So I change my verdict to Fox was a little out of line but Limbaugh was way out of line.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Personal Attack : The man has no shame

[ QUOTE ]
Lol the republicans roll out Jesus and a godawful QB in response

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nguJQ_dRPXw

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that must have cost at least $35 to make...