Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Online Poker Security: Virtual Machines, Bluetooth, and RF Wireless

So I just got a scare that my poker computer may have a virus, trojan, or whatever. To avoid all the headaches that go along with this, I would like to make sure it never happens again.

I know the best way to do this is to buy a machine dedicated to only online poker that runs just the poker apps and PT/PAHUD. However, it seems more cost effective and practical to use a virtual machine to improve security.

First, I am wondering whether it matters if I use the host machine or guest machine as the poker-only computer? I am thinking that if the host machine gets infected, it is possible for the problem to spread to the guest machines, but not vice versa (assuming proper precautions are taking). For example, a key logger running on the host would have access to all keystrokes on all machines, but if a keylogger were running only a guest machine, it would not have access to keystrokes entered on the host machine. Am I correct in my thinking? Does it matter which I run as my poker-only, "completely secure" machine?

Also, how big of a security risk is it to use Bluetooth if I turn discovery off and do not let bluetooth devices automatically connect to my computer? What about wireless RF technology? Does that present any security issues?

Any help with these questions is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Online Poker Security: Virtual Machines, Bluetooth, and RF Wireles

Be careful with virtual machines because you have a limited number of PAHUD licenses. This is an interesting setup and should work as long as you can keep your security updated on the host machine and just use your guest(virtual machine) one for day-to-day web stuff. Just make sure not be surfing while you're in your host or playing poker in the VM.

Bluetooth and other wireless things aren't a risk unless you're in range of someplace that your packets can be intercepted (coffee house, street ect.) and even then, if you're encrypted, put on your tinfoil hat to be that concerned about a properly encrypted residential WLAN. It still may be a good idea to turn off your bluetooth if you're not using it though.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:32 PM

You really don't need to setup a VM. Run your computer as a limited user. This is a way to make sure this never happens again.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an interesting setup and should work as long as you can keep your security updated on the host machine and just use your guest(virtual machine) one for day-to-day web stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply.

Does your opinion of this setup change if I must put the IP address of the virtual machine in Zone Alarm's "Trusted Zone" on the host machine - in order for the virtual machine to access the internet?

Or is there another firewall product that would be easier?