Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 09:51 AM

Default KK- sick turn card against bad aggro villain

Have lots of history with villain before getting pokertracker, only have 530 hands on him after, he's 32, 19,1.85. His name is Donkbet11, and he is a baaaad regular.
His stats doesn't look to bad, but he's floating a lot and bluffing a lot in awkward situations.. At this point it's no doubt he wants to stack me bad.
Few hands before I've seen him pull an overbet ai against a shortstack and showed a terrible bluff.. This, I thought at the time made it less likely he wud bluff into me here... Unsure abt the turn check as well..
This might seem as a trivial fold to most of u, but a special situation because of the table dynamics...

Full Tilt Poker (6 max) - $0.10/$0.25 -
Seat 1: CO($89.35)
Seat 2: BTN (Hero)($28.85)
Seat 3: SB ($24.75)
Seat 4: BB ($65.65)
Seat 5: UTG ($7.80), is sitting out
Seat 6: MP (Villain) ($27.70)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to dizzyphantom [K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Villain raises to $0.85
Co folds
Hero raises to $2.50
2 folds
Villain calls $1.65
*** FLOP *** [8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Villain checks
Hero bets $4
Villain calls $4
*** TURN *** [T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Villain checks
Hero checks
*** RIVER *** [8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Vilain bets $21.20, and is all in

Hero
Old 11-02-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Re: KK- sick turn card against bad aggro villain

raise more preflop
I fold as played. That's really a sick board for KK
Old 11-02-2007, 10:01 AM

really scary board. just think that even a 6 beats you. fold.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:43 AM

I realize this hand gets to trivial. Hopeless for people not sitting at the table to give advice on this hand... I folded, he showed 93 of hearts...
Old 11-02-2007, 10:47 AM

Regardless of the results, youre calling here to split a bunch of times and lose the other times. So either you lose a little to the rake by calling, or lose alot by calling and him showing you the straight. Just fold and find a better spot.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:05 PM

Grunch.

If the villian has a tendency of calling 3-bets, I would charge him more pre-flop. I'd also bet even closer to pot on the flop. After the turn I check/fold.

If he is that terrible you'll find better spots (and boards) to stack him than making hero calls. You are also more likely to tilt when you make the hero call and it turns out you are wrong.

Every hand he likes to play is on this board. This will be a -EV call in the long run (especially if you incorrectly hero call and tilt off some additional chips in a subsequent hand). He just has way too many hands that connect up (and crush your KK) way too often.

It's easy to think, "finally I picked up KK, I'm going to stack this donk". Don't, however, let that blur the board texture. The texture completely sucks for your hand regardless of his aggressiveness.

Yes, you could be right this time, but there are better boards to pick off bluffs. Additionally, the key to picking off bluffs is identifying betting patterns, hand ranges, and placing them in a context. You've indicated his player tendencies (aggressive, bluffy) but you haven't pointed out any betting patterns/lines that indiciate strongly that this is a bluff. You also indicate you felt it was less likely he was bluffing this time (because of some earlier bluffs).

Of course, finding betting patterns from an aggressive bluffy monkey can be tough. Pay particular attention to his river stats. I have several agrro-lags that like to play aggro on the flop and turn, but only get their dough in on the river when they are winning. Ridiculous river stats like WTSD 20 W$SD 80.

Fold and pick a better spot. Work on taking notes on his bluff lines and distinguish them from his "I have the nuts" lines.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize this hand gets to trivial. Hopeless for people not sitting at the table to give advice on this hand... I folded, he showed 93 of hearts...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd actually take this as an opportunity to learn from his play. It's a great bluff. Your hand is face-up. You either have overcards or an overpair. Unless you've shown a propensity for 3-betting with 76s or PP < TT, he knows exactly what you have. He couldn't ask for a better board to bluff at. If he knows you are capable of laying down an overpair, this is a great spot for him.

Look for similiar opportunites against your tighter-aggressive opponents. Can they lay down AA on a 3 flush, straighted, paired board? If so, you can take advantage of a board like this one.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
youre calling here to split a bunch of time

[/ QUOTE ]
we won't be splitting here - it's either lose, or snap off a bluff