Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Things to help a 24 hour flight go faster?

I'm 6'2" and fly alot. If I'm to late for an upgrade to first class, I feel I'm screwed. My legs never have enough room and always in pain unless I get lucky with seats in front of coach. I found the best trick for this is to arrive at airport real early and don't do computer check in. Explain to counter person your problem, It could be bad back, being too tall or whatever. I have been given free first class upgrades as well as they have changed peoples seats and gave me roomier ones by the escape hatches and such.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:41 AM

Default Re: A Faster Plane

[ QUOTE ]
Get there early (or pre book) a exit seat. Will give you ton's of leg room. So worth getting to the airport three (or more) hours ahead of time to get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arent those seats usually reserved for preferred costumers with a higher level membership in the frequent flyer program?
Old 11-02-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also snowbank, dont you crush msnl? for a flight this long, if its not too long, definitely look into upgrading to business class. will make the flight 10x more bearable.

[/ QUOTE ]

i looked into that but the price jumps from a little over $1k to over $7k.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats so weird. for me, when i was looking for tickets to go to seoul (from dc, so about a 20 hour flight), it went from ~$800 coach -> ~$2400 business -> ~$4400 first. and that actually wasn't the cheapest first, i did research to find the one of the better first class cabins around.

i think i wouldnt upgrade in your situation either, kinda sick though. flying that long in economy would be a bummer (although i might have to do so on the way home, as im prolly gonna be busto by the end of this trip).

what would your ceiling be for a business/first class upgrade? might be worth going to a travel agent or something just to look into it.

also, are you going to bangkok with tufat and those guys? if so, i'll see you there -- i arrive the night of the 14th at like 11pm or something like that.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:06 AM

If you can get a plane with a power point, bring along a laptop loaded with movies and interesting things to read.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

thats so weird. for me, when i was looking for tickets to go to seoul (from dc, so about a 20 hour flight), it went from ~$800 coach -> ~$2400 business -> ~$4400 first. and that actually wasn't the cheapest first,

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this is a more accurate estimate of the costs. Business is usually 3x, while 1st class is 5-6x.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 11-02-2007, 11:33 AM

hookers & blow
Old 11-02-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get there early (or pre book) a exit seat. Will give you ton's of leg room. So worth getting to the airport three (or more) hours ahead of time to get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I have flown on multiple carriers and they had them available. In the begginning I was'nt a preffered member and still recieved the exit row seats.

Arent those seats usually reserved for preferred costumers with a higher level membership in the frequent flyer program?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-03-2007, 12:30 AM

i booked a flight on thai air direct bkk-jfk round trip 17 hours for $1700 premium economy (one step up from economy, one step down from business). shop around more next time if you want an upgrade (although i dont think 24 hour 2 stop flights are all that bad). 7k instead of 1k is way dumb.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I have flown on multiple carriers and they had them available. In the begginning I was'nt a preffered member and still recieved the exit row seats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Northwest is the only airline with that policy then.