Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: 2007 SEC Football Thread

The main reason ESPN gives the SEC the screwjob treatment as far as Gameday visists are concerned is that the premier SEC game is usually broadcast on CBS, and Gameday is 95% about hyping whatever game is on ESPN or ABC.

Even if UK and LSU are undefeated, the game will be picked up by CBS and GameDay will go to Rose Bowl to hype up USC vs. Opponent on ABC
Old 09-27-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

http://therealests.blogspot.com/2007...aded-home.html

[/ QUOTE ]

As an LSU grad, this pissed me off:

[ QUOTE ]
No one in the mainstream media will say this, but it's a cold, hard fact: Baton Rouge is a dump.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's certainly a lot worse now than it was before Katrina. Too much population growth too fast. It will eventually get back to normal, or at least the infrastructure will catch up. Unpleasant? Slightly. A dump? No way. There's dumpy areas, just like there are in any other town that size. Big deal.

And yeah, no racists up north, noooo sir.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The main reason ESPN gives the SEC the screwjob treatment as far as Gameday visists are concerned is that the premier SEC game is usually broadcast on CBS, and Gameday is 95% about hyping whatever game is on ESPN or ABC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. But that's a relatively recent development, a result of the total integration of ABC sports with ESPN. Before the 2006 season, Gameday went wherever the biggest game happened to be that week, regardless of who was covering it. Last year, they started off by going to wherever ABC primetime coverage would be (so Kirk could do both Gameday and analysis on the primetime game), which quickly turned into a joke when they showed up for the Nebraska/Iowa State game.

Now they just make Kirk fly out as soon as gameday is over, but they still pick ESPN/ABC games over games that aren't shown "in-network".

[ QUOTE ]
Even if UK and LSU are undefeated, the game will be picked up by CBS and GameDay will go to Rose Bowl to hype up USC vs. Opponent on ABC

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I'd say gameday has jumped the shark, but I think that actually happened when then went to 90 minutes (was that like 4 years ago now?). Now they're at 120 minutes, with 85% of that either stupid Lee Corso commercials or "Human Interest" stories like "Colt McCoy saved my dogs life!" Who cares?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 PM

Gameday will be at UF @ LSU so it's not like they totally spurn the most obvious best game in the country but they are just not likely to go back when they have already been to a few SEC sites.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

http://therealests.blogspot.com/2007...aded-home.html

[/ QUOTE ]

As an LSU grad, this pissed me off:

[ QUOTE ]
No one in the mainstream media will say this, but it's a cold, hard fact: Baton Rouge is a dump.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

having visited both places and wanting to like Baton Rouge more,
I agree. Baton Rouge is a dump compared to Ann Arbor. But, Ann Arbor is a whore.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, Ann Arbor is a whore.

[/ QUOTE ]

LAWL HILARIOUS
Old 09-27-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A piece about Miles leaving LSU for Michigan after the year. Any LSU fans want to comment on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a vast majority of the fans want him to stay. He seems to finally be getting credit for winning instead of most people saying he's winning with Saban's talent. Only he knows if he will leave, but I think there's a good chance he stays. Even though some (a lot) of people would prefer to be in other cities than Baton Rouge, the head coach job has to be one of the top coaching positions and I believe that we would get a top notch coach to take his position if Miles left.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:30 PM

This week's schedule:
Sat., Sept. 29
LSU at Tulane (12 p.m. ET / ESPN2)
Mississippi State at South Carolina (12:30 p.m. ET / LFS)
Ole Miss at Georgia (1 p.m. ET)
Florida Atlantic at Kentucky (1 p.m. ET)
Alabama vs. Florida State (5 p.m. ET CBS - from Jacksonville, Fla.)
North Texas at Arkansas (6 p.m. CT)
Eastern Michigan at Vanderbilt (6 p.m. CT)
Auburn at Florida (8 p.m. ET / ESPN)

A couple of interesting games. SC and MS State might be a decent game. It's not nationally televised but will be on Yahoo sports. Of course the Alabama-FSU game is a big deal. Good chance for Bama to beat up the ACC and open the door a little wider for LSU poaching top Florida HS recruits [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Auburn is pissed and thinking upset. Florida will be ready though IMO.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:43 PM

Auburn is pissed? I'm sure they were after USF too. That's overrated. If anything revenge is on the Gators' mind.

FSU has arrests and now academic fraud involving their players, interesting to see how they perform.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Auburn is pissed? I'm sure they were after USF too. That's overrated. If anything revenge is on the Gators' mind.

FSU has arrests and now academic fraud involving their players, interesting to see how they perform.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty standard for FSU. They don't call them the Criminoles for nuttin.