Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 12:06 PM

Default Do I wuss out and just call down?

Villian here was initially tight (and predictable), maybe 18/10, but had lost a few big pots and had noticeably loosened up. We are fairly deep at over 230bb's.

I felt he had more than an overpair when he raised the turn, and had a bad feeling about this hand. Is just calling the turn raise and looking to check/call the river awful?

Edit: I should add that I was active at the table at that stage and probably running about 28/17 or something. Also, I'd won an all-in against villian a few orbits ago, if that means anything.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $5/$10
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $2369.50
Button: $463.65
SB: $748.85
Hero: $3427.89

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $40</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($85, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $75</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($235, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $145</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $390
Old 07-27-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Do I wuss out and just call down?

I don't play this high, but it sounds like this guy could be getting kind of frustrated. I think you're ahead here more often then you're behind (behind 3x88, 1x99, 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]), although I can't see what he'd flatcall that scary coordinated flop with. Seems like an overpair or two pair would raise to charge all the draws. I think something like T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] could play this way.

Maybe reraise him here? Stacks are pretty deep and I think a push is probably only going to get called by something that beats you.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:40 PM

I definately think I'm ahead more often than behind and that he was frustrated. Also, pushing is just not an option here.

I thought at the time I'd just call and check the river - thhoug I guess I could try to block the river somehow. I'd not expect him to raise a river bet with anything other than a hand better than mine, but he was getting twitchy.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:44 PM

Very easy reraise. 88/99/89 beat you, of which there aren't that many combinations, and you would expect them to raise on that flop the majority of the time. Tons of scare cards can come on the river that will limit or kill your action vs trips, and I'm not expecting a tilting opponent to fold with them to a reraise on the turn. You want the money going in now.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very easy reraise. 88/99/89 beat you, of which there aren't that many combinations, and you would expect them to raise on that flop the majority of the time. Tons of scare cards can come on the river that will limit or kill your action vs trips. You want the money going in now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was the standard 100bb then yes for sure, but if I put a big bet in I can't see how I win at showdown againt him very often. I actually thought he had effectively nothing more often than just an overpair, especially as I thought he was out to get me after losing the all-in earlier. I'd feel much better about raising if the straight was more likely, or/and a lower set.

But I don't know, maybe you are right.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:19 PM

I had a response typed and it all sucked. Basically I don't think it really matters what you do cause it's all thin, as long as you're not folding. I want value though, and don't want that river checking through. I think if I smooth call this turn, I'm betting any river (and calling a raise), but I think a 3b here is fine as well.

- C -
Old 07-27-2006, 01:34 PM

i think he has something like T9 or A9 far more often than he has 98/99/88 given flop action
Old 07-27-2006, 01:38 PM

What's your image and history with villain? If your donkbet on the flop is a sign of semi-big strength, and the turn bet is a further indicator of this(that is, do you have a tight postflop image?) then I'd be more inclined to call and maybe c/c river. However if you've been 2nd (&amp;3rd) barreling alot etc, then I think this is a clear 3bet to ~1100 or so? Probably call a push or push river.

If he has a draw(T9?), you want to put in money now and not on the river when he misses most of the time, unless you think he'll bluff when he misses so you can check and let him do that.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:09 PM

I think I would reraise here given your image, your read on villain and because he's most likely to have raised 88/99/89 on the flop, unless you've only been donkbetting with monsters (and/or haven't been double barrelling) and he's aware of that.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:15 PM

Hi CopTHIS,

With a tight opponent, this board, and the preflop action, calling down is way too weak. Definitely reraise.