Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: How Kenny Tran Rates Internet Players

i know an internet board where the stupid clueless morons gets banned and their posts are deleted. They should do that here too. ANd ip ban them.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To us it's absolutely obvious that the best online players are better than the live ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats because you are all deluding yourselves. You guys are so pathetic you dont even realize that online poker is NOT poker!
The fact is personalities count a lot. You can be a ruthless bully online but live you are scared of all those guys and you play like a complete nit.
Jman - do I need to say more.

Patrick does not count because he made the TRANSITION from online to live.
People who continously play online and say they are making millions - they are online poker players not real poker players.
The online scene will dry up soon too ..

Good luck believing you are the greatest when NO ONE even knows who you are!

[/ QUOTE ]

i refuse to believe this is not a level.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personality, looks, charisma, etc. does not count. All that matters is if you can play.

Another example of something like this is in basketball, if we compare the Harlem Globetrotters and the Charlotte Bobcats. Who's better? According to some of you the Harlem Globetrotters are a better team because they entertain me. Right? Nevermind the fact that they would get blown out in a real game...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an absurd statement. In live games all of these traits can have a positive influence, not only on your game, but on your game selection.

Many of the best pros gravitate towards a relaxed, friendly, easy going attitude and demeanor.

It may help you in a game setting where it may cause a player to relax with you and give information or to trust you or to "like you" and not want to target you or to bluff you.

Not only that, but these are the types of people that whales like playing with. The Daniel Negreanu and Sammy Farhas, etc. These players and others have mastered the art of taking people's money, while leaving them satisfied and entertained. There is something to be said for that.

I remember even Jannifer Harmon in the HSP saying something to the effect of, Sammy F. is the only player I can lose a pot to and not be mad. or something like that.

Either way, to discount an ability like Daniel's to befriend people, talk with them , learn about them and then use that to his advantage is absurd.

I would imagine that the majority of top online players, like said earlier are more "technically sound", however, I would find it hard to believe that most "internet" players would not have a difficult time during the transition period from Online play to Live. I also think the same would be true for most live players making the transition to online play, though I do not think it would be as drastic for them.

I doubt anyone can deny, no matter how solid you are, bluffing someone out of a pot Live, is much much different, than online and this alone takes a certain amount of time to grow confortable with.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:25 PM

I'm not a big fan of that Kenny Tran Roasters place, the chicken is kinda lame.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To us it's absolutely obvious that the best online players are better than the live ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats because you are all deluding yourselves. You guys are so pathetic you dont even realize that online poker is NOT poker!
The fact is personalities count a lot. You can be a ruthless bully online but live you are scared of all those guys and you play like a complete nit.
Jman - do I need to say more.

Patrick does not count because he made the TRANSITION from online to live.
People who continously play online and say they are making millions - they are online poker players not real poker players.
The online scene will dry up soon too ..

Good luck believing you are the greatest when NO ONE even knows who you are!

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you are the best person to judge since you once finished 202th (sic) out of 10,000 people in a freeroll!! And you weren't even playing well, must be rigged!

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post8720155

[ QUOTE ]
Its definitely.... When I first played their free roll tourney (10000 entries).. I busted out a few times not getting any hand. Then, on my 3rd try, I managed to place an incredible 87th place out of 10000. I thought at this point that not only was this site legit - (because most of my wins were through good play and not suckouts). I debated on putting any money in the site and decided against it. Instead, I played another free roll and I could not believe it! First hand pocket Aces. A few hands later I flop a full house.. In fact, even junk hand I folded were the best hand if I played right through - the run of good cards was just too much - I knew it had to be rigged - All i had to do was just call and I would get the card on the river -ridiculous. Eventually I busted out (surprise cough cough) to someone who was even luckier at the table - this guy was flopping the nuts almost every hand..
202th place with horrendous play and incredible luck.

I keep my account active (since I have no money in it) for a laugh ..I can be the worst player in the world - but I will definitely flop a full house next time I play - guaranteed!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-19-2007, 05:33 PM

lol pwned
Old 11-19-2007, 06:35 PM

Getting Larry Flynt to fly you to play him poker on his jet is definately not a quantifiable skill.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personality, looks, charisma, etc. does not count. All that matters is if you can play.

Another example of something like this is in basketball, if we compare the Harlem Globetrotters and the Charlotte Bobcats. Who's better? According to some of you the Harlem Globetrotters are a better team because they entertain me. Right? Nevermind the fact that they would get blown out in a real game...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an absurd statement. In live games all of these traits can have a positive influence, not only on your game, but on your game selection.

Many of the best pros gravitate towards a relaxed, friendly, easy going attitude and demeanor.

It may help you in a game setting where it may cause a player to relax with you and give information or to trust you or to "like you" and not want to target you or to bluff you.

Not only that, but these are the types of people that whales like playing with. The Daniel Negreanu and Sammy Farhas, etc. These players and others have mastered the art of taking people's money, while leaving them satisfied and entertained. There is something to be said for that.

I remember even Jannifer Harmon in the HSP saying something to the effect of, Sammy F. is the only player I can lose a pot to and not be mad. or something like that.

Either way, to discount an ability like Daniel's to befriend people, talk with them , learn about them and then use that to his advantage is absurd.

I would imagine that the majority of top online players, like said earlier are more "technically sound", however, I would find it hard to believe that most "internet" players would not have a difficult time during the transition period from Online play to Live. I also think the same would be true for most live players making the transition to online play, though I do not think it would be as drastic for them.

I doubt anyone can deny, no matter how solid you are, bluffing someone out of a pot Live, is much much different, than online and this alone takes a certain amount of time to grow confortable with.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed completely
Old 11-19-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i also think cts, sbrugy, pa, and durrrr and other internet nl players should take turns playing kenny tran hu and see what happens

[/ QUOTE ]

does it escape all of you that HU is totally different than 6 or 9 handed?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:58 PM

Fwiw i dont think Kenny is miles off thr truth - in that live poker is not online poker (and visa versa).

But i think it is hard to argue against this statement:

"An online player will find it easier to transition from online poker into live poker than a live player going in the opposite direction"

I call its Phill's Theorum and i think there is a LOT of evidence of the truth of it - note i openly admit it is a gross generalisation and to every rule exists an exception.

I think its hard to argue against the assumption that online players will have better fundamentals than live players - again, im not saying live players all suck because of this, in their games having solid fundamental skills isnt nearly as important as being friendly enough to get in a game and getting the bad players to give up action.

But when it comes to learning to adapt to live play - ie give up some equity here and there to generate action, plus learning to read opponants to make correct laydowns and razor thin calls. You need to be willing to engage opponants and get the upperhand in a war of information and that is why Negreanu is so good at reading people.

Then throw in the fact that the big live games are generally deep stacked and overall the dynamics are different as they are more passive and loose so you have to adjust to that.

Again, i go back to my theorum:

"An online player will find it easier to transition from online poker into live poker than a live player going in the opposite direction"

So right now, Kenny Tran MIGHT be right about who the best 20 live full ring yada yada small print players are - but if the online players took the time to adjust they would be a much better player all round because the foundations are there. They havent learnt bad habits which are compounded by them working enough of the time to seem acceptable whilst the live player doesnt have a tool like pokertracker to analyse these situations right to the minute detail.