Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: I will mentor you for free

1. How you are currently improving your game

Learning how to Choo Choo better, dinking around with pokerstove, etc. I don't exactly have anyone to talk ss strat with, soooo yeah.

I've been considering adding real poker to my repertoire, so i'm applying.

2. Your poker goals

Don't stress out and hate life, and hopefully make money doing that. 100bb poker was so stressful for me, which is why I switched.

[b]3. Your current stakes and past earnings [b]

2/4-5/10 shortstacking. Used to play 1/2 6max and FR, was about 2ptbb/100 at those.

4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made

Maybe if there was a shortstack forum?

5. A little about yourself

I'm a math guy. I did bonus whoring for a long time (before it was nuked for US) and loved it because my edge was really clear. Shortstacking is the same way. I never got to that point with 100bb poker, hopefully I can get there, and learn to deal with all the swongs.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:00 PM

I watch a lot of CR vids and read a decent amount of strat posts. I don't feel I have improved at all over the last year and that may be the result of not having a coach/mentor. It has been frustrating to say the least.

2. Your poker goals.

I would love to be able to play 5/10NL to supplement my income. I am a senior in college and am going to graduate in May. I will likely be working in the financial industry.

3. Your current stakes and past earnings

I currently play 50NL-100NL. I have made ~25K prior to the poker legislation and have made less than ~5K since. I know it is possible to beat the games for much more than that so it's clear I have a lot of learning to do.

4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made.

Not many posts but I read 2+2 every day. Most of my posts are in the investing forum.

5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply.

I have been very successful at pretty much everything I put my mind to. I was a top ten dueler in North America in ut2k4 after hooking up with the best clan in the US and training with them. I played on the JrPGA and have a low signle digit handicap due to extensive work with a former PGA pro who coached me. I guess the bottom line is that if I have someone to show me the way, I'll get there. I also have a successful investing track record.

I work out regularly and like to stay active.

I am fairly compulsive and like to explain things to others. If I can build my poker confidence up I will be back to playing 6 hours a day like I did when I was winning at a decent clip.

I used to design websites in highschool and have a decent knowlege of php which I learned when creating an app for facebook. I should be able to put a workable site together for your students.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:04 PM

stealing my avatar makes me sad [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

jay mentor meeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 11-19-2007, 02:40 PM

This is a really exciting idea and I definitely would love the opportunity be involved. Here is a little bit about myself:

1. How you are currently improving your game?

Right now, I have been limiting myself to four tabling at nl400 in my desire to improve my game. I have been working on loosening up my opening ranges and getting more aggressive postflop, by taking each hand as it comes and getting second opinions when in doubt or faced with a new situation. I do this either through AIM or by posting or reading in the strategy forums. I am active in absorbing all that I can from the strategy forums, cardrunners, and other player's opinions.

2. Your Poker Goals

The concrete goal I am working towards right now is to become a winning player at 5/10 by the beginning of next April. A previous goal of mine was to become successful enough with poker to be able to rely on it solely for income. I am on pace to accomplish this by the end of the year. Further goals of mine include continuing to challenge myself with new stakes and goals as I progress.

As of the beginning of this month I am playing nl400. I have played poker as a second source of income for the last year and have made 56k in that time, starting from NL25 last fall.

Looking back through some of my most recent posts, I think you can find me making some decent contributions with both of these posts in the last few days and plenty more if you look back throughout the year: post 1 post 2

5. A little about yourself.

I am 22 and have taken what looks like it will be a permanent leave from the University. I have a good part time job right now that is easy and pays well that I plan on quitting sometime in the next four months due to my interest and success relating to poker. I like to go out and have fun on the weekends and I feel like I'm very motivated to put in time and effort with poker. Well I think that about sums up most of what I wanted to say.

Edit: To add, I have played an estimated 600 hours (around 40k hands/month) of poker in the last 5 months and made in the area of 32k.

Cheers.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:05 PM

1) I subscribe to both Stoxpoker and Cardrunners. Both have helped my game considerably. I have every 2+2 book money can buy and there's always one in my hand when I'm lying around the house. Lately, I've been toying more with PokerStove because I have a newfound understanding of equity. Funny how we think we know something and it turns out we didn't. That acceptance allowed me to start retooling my game six months ago and switch exclusively to NL cash.

2) I have several poker goals. One is to become the best player I possibly can and play stakes that will allow me an early retirement. Not really retirement, but allow me to switch careers, I guess. To do that would require me to beat the game consistently for an awful lot of money, but I am confident I can do that especially if the current state of online poker changes for the better with new legislation.

3) 50NL is what I currently play. I've become a BR nit and grinded to 50NL from a 5NL roll that was just left over from my departure from online poker when the chit hit the fan a year ago. I came back in March this year and have been propping on a small site to get where I am now.

4) I don't post strat much because when I used to, I just got laughed at. Long ago, I tried to post on the beginner forum, but there were posters doing that better than I could, so I left. There was a long stretch in '05 - '06 where I posted strat in the STTF forum back when I was grinding SNGs, but certainly not respected by anyone nor good enough for me to give any advice. I even made a couple stupid strat posts where I misread my hand and didn't realize it until it was too late and the embarrassment sent me to lurker status for a long time. So, sorry, this may not get me accepted to the program, but I haven't posted much strat this year. Would it help if I said I'd change that?

5) About me? 44 year old fat guy getting overpaid in the IT industry. Kids are all grown and out of the house so I can play poker live or online whenever I feel like it. Came into poker with the Moneymaker crowd. Limit for a while. Made a bit of money up to 3/6. Switched to SNGs and made a bit up to the 30+3s. Gave up online for live after legislation, made a bit of money. Came back online in March this year to exclusively play NL. I've always been either a small winner or a breakeven player. I've never lost at whatever it was I was playing at the time over decent samples. I just need to continue my growth in NL.

Also, I can run the website and forums. I'd angle to use something like WordPress or something similar.

Anything else? I've got zero attitude, tons of potential, listen well, teach well (when I know the material), and have been at this long enough to prove I'm not in poker for the short term. If I can get to mid stakes online and 5/10 live with the help of a support group, I'd give much back to the group.

Onaflag..........
Old 11-19-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. How you are currently improving your game 2. Your poker goals. 3. Your current stakes and past earnings 4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made. 5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply. Please apply ONLY in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Currently, I've been browsing SSNL. I used to post quite often but somewhat sporadically. I just finished reading PNL (Professional No Limit), and discuss poker with real life friends.

2. My goal in poker is to create a sustainable income that eventually exceeds my expected income in my field (Econ Major). I want to be a solid and clear winner at stakes above 5/10 NL. Shorter term goals are ~5k/month playing 30 hrs/week.

3. Currently, I am rolled for NL50/NL100. I choose to play NL50 for bankroll stability. My past earnings is mid 4 figures total.

4. Post on Risk Aversion This is a post I made that I think is interesting but didn't garner much interest. If you look me up, I haven't been posting for a while, but I'd say almost 90% or more of my posts are on strategy/advice on bankroll or other side topics.

5. I'm a University of California, Berkeley graduate with an Economics degree, but no job right now. I am definitely willing to help out with a website, but don't have hosting. I looked over the list of requirements/qualifications, and I believe I meet all of them.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:30 PM

jay, you rock, <3. thats is all.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. How you are currently improving your game 2. Your poker goals. 3. Your current stakes and past earnings 4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made. 5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply. Please apply ONLY in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I am currently improving my game by reading a ton of strategy on 2p2, sometimes up to 8hrs/day. I also have a buddy list full of 2p2ers and other respected players, whom i discuss hands with daily.

2) My goal in poker is to build a roll playing full ring that would allow me to afford a 6 max coach. It seems as there is a point in full ring games where they just stop running(5-10 on stars and 10-20 on ftp).

If i had to sum up my goal it would be to find my niche. There is so much money to be made in this game and i want some.

3) When i first got into poker i played 1-2nl live. I had no idea what variance was and thought winning 5 buyins in a day should be no problem as long as i could rebuy if i lost. =) Needless to say this attitude caused me alot of headaches and also led to the inevitable bustoing of my roll.

After this i found 2p2 thanks to a friend and made a promise to myself to never go broke from poker again. I redeposited a few different 100$s and finally had a small cash (700$) in an MTT. With my new found wealth i hit the tables ready to try out 6 max.

Looking back i was probably never playing winning poker. I had tilt issues. Also, after going broke i started to value the money perhaps a bit more than being a winning 6 max player allows. So i read more on 2p2 and looked for ways to reduce variance (lolonit) and decided to switch to full ring. After all that is where i started playing live, cant go wrong. =)

Cliffs notes: i am a 6max fish who can beat full ring @ a small stake

I have been playing on 3 diff cpus so it is hard to keep all my DBs together but here is the last graph i made for a dif thread. Filtered for 25nl, 9max....

here are my stats

4) I am terrible at articulating my thoughts and am also pretty self conscious or i would reply to more threads. My best example of a strategy post comes from the STT forum ironically since the situations @ FR 25nl all seem to garner the same "TPTK ARRRR EEEEN"- esque replies. Here is one link

5) When i first started playing poker i was a cocky young teenager, much like some personalities i read on these forums. After playing this game for so long with nothing to show it teaches you to be humble. Not only has it taught me to be humble it has also taught me how to interact with people on a respectful and mature level.

I am 21 years old from california. I like baseball and music. I have recently ventured into a section of the real estate market. A family member got me into this and it could not have come at a better time for me. The majority of the work is done from home on my cpu. I have nothing but time to learn and improve in poker. I just need to find the right atmosphere and i think i have.

It would be cool to help with the website, although i wouldnt be much help since i have limited experience. Anything i can do to help just ask.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:40 PM

Jay's posts years ago as 1800GAMBLER about game theory and mathematics of limit holdem had a profound effect on my game. There really weren't many , if any, posters talking about the kind of stuff that he was talking about. He surely has a great understanding of poker fundamentals and how it all fits together. I think anyone would be really lucky to do this.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:17 AM

I am very interested in this

read/post here at the forum, watch cardrunner video, chat with poker friends, and use various software to review/analyze my own plays

2. Your poker goals.
be able to beat 5/10 consistently in 1 year

I started playing poker seriously from the beginning of the year. First 4 months I played almost exclusively SNG, moved through the level fairly quick from $6.5s turbo to $114 turbo. Winning about 13k along the way. However, I find the SNG a little too boring after a while so decided to try cash. Started at 25c/50c to learn the game, moved up to 1/2 within 2 months. Since then, I have played fair number of hands from 2/4-5/10, but mostly not very successful while still winning at a decent rate 5ptbb/100 at 1/2. My earning in last 5 months probably is around 30k.

1/2 line check with AK (big draw) against likely set

3/6, AA on bad turn card, somewhat deep

5. A little about yourself.
I am 30 years old and a full time software engineer, poker is a hobby to me but I am very serious about improving my game and wish one day I can win enough so I can choose to work or not.
Closed Thread