Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Re: WiFi

NERD FIGHT!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

An SSL certificate is between your connection(the wireless router since that is your internet connection) and the secure website. If the router is unsecure and a hacker can get in hes is inside your network(using the same connection). The SSL certificate is now between you, mr.hacker and the secure website. I am not saying it is easy but a skilled hacker can do it. I did a quick google search for ya.

http://www.nellis.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123035765

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would the SSL certificate be stored in the router? That defeats the whole purpose of SSL.

From the article:
[ QUOTE ]
"Any information that travels over a wireless network can be accessed by anyone on that network," said Steve Carlson, 99th Communications Squadron wireless security manager. "Even if you're accessing a secure Web site, your information is only secure between the Internet and your wireless router. Everything traveling between that wireless router and your laptop is visible."

[/ QUOTE ]

The statement from this article is incorrect for properly implemented SSL, which includes accessing secure web sites. SSL will not allow the data to be visible between the router and the computer.

My assertion is that even if the router is unprotected, your data is safe if SSL is implemented properly.

SSL is part of the Application layer, which is above the Transport layer that the router could be considered a part of.

Re: The multiple router issue.

Your statements seem self-contradictory on this subject. The other poster's original statement was correct, and you tried to issue a correction where one was not needed, which appears to confuse the issue.

Anyone else who knows how SSL works want to chime in on this issue? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2007, 09:30 AM

This is getting pretty stupid. I might be wrong but over the last 3-4 years I don't think I recall one incident where the person was hacked just because they used a public wifi connection. Go ahead and use it you will be fine.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:52 AM

If anyone asks say it's Play Money. I mean who's going to give enough of a [censored] to hack you unless they know you are multitabling 1000nl? Keep it on the down low and you'll be fine.