Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Beginners Omaha book? :)

Hi! I'm all new to Omaha, and would like a book to start off with.

I'm currently building my bankroll from scratch through bankroll management, and i am playing NL5 with a $125 bankroll.

I would like to start PLO5 og PLO2 (cause of the variance) Since i've heard that the play there is horrible.

I know the rules, like 2 cards from the hand etc etc. but dont know any basic strategy, like starting hands for example.

So would like a "Omaha for dummies" book or something like that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Beginners Omaha book? :)

No need for a book if you can beat NLHE. A couple of pointers:

Use position. Play out of the blinds as little as possible, you should be very selective with the hands you play there. As a beginner I'd reccommend folding the crappiest of AA UTG and about half of KK.

Hands where all the cards are connected are what you want to go for. T987ds is much nicer than KK62 no suits, and can be raised from any position.

Draw to the nuts. There are obvious exceptions, like where the pot is too big to fold, or you're *sure* you're not up against a better/bigger draw.

AA is the nuts preflop but only the nuts postflop ~ 1/8 of the time. Raise and reraise AA pre if you're doing so with other hands, otherwise play them slow unless you can get at least 25% of your stack into the pot pre or if they're lovely and co-ordinated like AAJTds.

Don't be afraid to stack off with big draws, and remember that without a pair, you're often an underdog, so getting a fold from villain is always +EV.

And....... GO!
Old 06-24-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No need for a book if you can beat NLHE. A couple of pointers:

Use position. Play out of the blinds as little as possible, you should be very selective with the hands you play there. As a beginner I'd reccommend folding the crappiest of AA UTG and about half of KK.

Hands where all the cards are connected are what you want to go for. T987ds is much nicer than KK62 no suits, and can be raised from any position.

Draw to the nuts. There are obvious exceptions, like where the pot is too big to fold, or you're *sure* you're not up against a better/bigger draw.

AA is the nuts preflop but only the nuts postflop ~ 1/8 of the time. Raise and reraise AA pre if you're doing so with other hands, otherwise play them slow unless you can get at least 25% of your stack into the pot pre or if they're lovely and co-ordinated like AAJTds.

Don't be afraid to stack off with big draws, and remember that without a pair, you're often an underdog, so getting a fold from villain is always +EV.

And....... GO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wazz, I must say that your posting credibility is diminished because you have a "*". It kind of indicates that you jump into situations that you don't think through. This is kind of like a life tell that may leak into your poker playing abilities.

OP, sounds like you have a good plan. If you really want to master PLO, just start playing lots of hands and read Ciaffone's Omaha book (you can email and order from him via paypal). Analyze your play on all streets using propokertools.com and twodimes.net to see if you are getting your money in good. Also, try and develop hand reading skills of what you think your opponents are playing.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:14 PM

Fair point; I got the * for posting in OOT.

Your posting credibility is diminished by being troll, but I don't bring that up everytime you post.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:19 PM

No flaming in this thread, if you wanna takes shots at each other, do it on PM or MSN. Thank you.

Thanks i really apreciate it, but i am interested in a book. It seems like everytime i try, i lose...

And also i am going on a vacation to greece in about 2 weeks, and would love to get a book to read (on Omaha)

So as said, could you recommend one?
Old 06-24-2007, 01:21 PM

LOL screw you, don't tell me what to do, ungrateful bastard. Troll already gave you a good book to buy, maybe you lose everytime you try because you can't read.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL screw you, don't tell me what to do, ungrateful bastard. Troll already gave you a good book to buy, maybe you lose everytime you try because you can't read.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

OP, I like Wazz, but I also like to flame Wazz, why can't I do it in this thread? And if you want to play PLO $2 with a $125 bankroll, you really think I'm going to suggest that you also buy Slotbloom's book and buy Pokertracker? That will cost you 40 buyins.

Ciaffone's book is the least expensive:

to thecoach@chartermi.net
date May 14, 2006 10:48 AM
subject Omaha Poker
mailed-by gmail.com

Hello,
I'd like to order the new edition of Omaha Poker.

I can pay by paypal or neteller, whichever is easier for you.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:55 PM

*sigh* i guess Omaha players ARE cranky. =)

Thanks for the answers...
Old 06-24-2007, 02:45 PM

whats the name of slotboom's book, and how much is the ciaffone's book(and can it be shipped in the netherlands)?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

aaaahhhhsss hooooooooolllllle