Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Soreness after working out

Ok I wanted to put this in the beginner lifting thread but I only have a min before I leave for class, so I dont have time to find the thread. Anyway I dont really have a spare $30 to drop on protein powder so I dont have a shake after working out but I worked out monday and I did squats, bench and deadlifts and today my hams and glutes are still just slightly sore if I use em. Should I continue with my workout tonight with squats, press, rows? I am a noob to weight lifting, should I get protein powder asap?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Soreness after working out

You need rest, go at it again on Wednesday. Your muscles are going to be sore any time you start doing something new with them.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:53 PM

Never work out a sore muscle group.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:53 PM

Don't do the same exercise 2 days in a row, but I do find that I'm less sore when I exercise on that 2nd day after.
-Sam
Old 02-07-2007, 02:06 PM

Get protein powder if you want to add bulk. But if massive bulking isn't your goal just eat some high protein food within 45 mins of working out (eg. fish, meat, cheese, soy etc)
Old 02-07-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get protein powder if you want to add bulk. But if massive bulking isn't your goal just eat some high protein food within 45 mins of working out (eg. fish, meat, cheese, soy etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, no.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:59 PM

get soem glutamine, and take it before you go to bed
Old 02-07-2007, 03:02 PM

I don't lift as much as I used to but my friend who works out frequently says it is bad to work out a sore muscle group. Just wait a day or 2 and do it again. He said your 'fast-twitch fibers' will not react correctly when they are sore.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did squats, bench and deadlifts

[/ QUOTE ]

Try not to work more than 1 major muscle group per session, if you do your body will wear out faster and you won't benefit as much. Generally try to combine muscle areas that tend to get worked together (i.e. bench press works pecs and triceps, squats work hams/quads/calves, etc)

so for example don't try to work pecs and quads in the same session. try maybe 1 day of chest/tri's/abs, 1 day of back/bicep/forearm, 1 day of quads/hams/calves, and another day of delts/traps. You can tweak it how you like, but you get the idea.

Other than that you should really get some whey protein supp. but if you can't for now just make sure you're eating plenty of tuna, chk breast, egg whites, any source of lean protein and of course drink lots of water and get plenty of rest. If you don't already, check the nutrition labels on everything you eat. Regardless of whether you're cutting or bulking you should aim for a bare minimum of 1g protein/lb. of body weight.

hope this helps
Old 02-07-2007, 03:40 PM

Bad advice, OOT.

Unless you are an intermediate to advanced lifter, you should continue to work out if you are slightly sore. The only time you should scale back a bit is if your muscles are still so damaged that their performance is impacted. Or if you have severe soreness (which might be an injury).

Hendricks, your workout sounds good -- keep doing what you're doing. A bit of soreness between workouts is expected, and it'll get better as you get stronger. As long as you're giving yourself 48 hours to recover between workouts and are a beginner, you should be able to add small amounts of weight to the same core lifts every workout.