Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 07:07 AM

Default raise preflop facing a donk bet

One situation that keeps coming up lately, is that I raise preflop lets say with AKO from the button and the SB and BB call. Let's say the flop comes J95 rainbow. The SB donk bets and BB calls. SB is generally fairly passive Aggro factor of 1 or so. My default play is to raise and then go for the free card if turn misses me. Is this a bad strategy?

Also, many times the donk bettor leads out the turn and I feel like I need to fold if turn totally misses me. I have noticed more good players donk betting as of late. Has there been a strategy propagated lately, that you should donk bet the flop into a preflop raiser?

Thank you in advance for any answers.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:19 AM

Default Re: raise preflop facing a donk bet

[ QUOTE ]
My default play is to raise and then go for the free card if turn misses me. Is this a bad strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is you own answer

[ QUOTE ]
many times the donk bettor leads out the turn and I feel like I need to fold if turn totally misses me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop raising donk bets with A high.

Stop raising for free cards when you cant be sure that you will get the free card since it will often be either donked again on the turn or 3-bet on the flop.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:25 AM

Against two players, peel and fold the turn UI.

The decision becomes less straightforward when you're up against one player. It's very player dependent. Against an unknown, I usually take it to the river if the board is semi-coordinated, since the chances are greater that the Villain is on a draw.

Getting a line on your opponent's donking tendencies is a must in these games.

And stop raising AK for freecards [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2007, 07:57 AM

Thanks guys for responding...I am going to stop doing this.

Oink-if you are heads up, does your strategy change?
Also, in the original example, I assume you peel one on the flop and fold to a donk bet on the turn (as pulp says)? If you run into a player who donks about everytime against your preflop raise, I can't see folding the turn unimproved everytime. Would it be best to raise on the flop or just call down? It seems to me if he is donk betting almost everytime (80% or more)in this situation on average you have him beat.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys for responding...I am going to stop doing this.

Also, in the original example, I assume you peel one on the flop and fold to a donk bet on the turn (as pulp says)? If you run into a player who donks about everytime against your preflop raise, I can't see folding the turn unimproved everytime. Would it be best to raise on the flop or just call down? It seems to me if he is donk betting almost everytime (80% or more)in this situation on average you have him beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just call down and let him donk air into you.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Look at it this way. When villain donks you HU you are either

- ahead.

Do you want to raise the flop if you could see villains cards and you knew you had the best hand? NOT NECESSARILY!. If he has a complete bluff you would rather have him bet again on the turn and river than have him fold. The pot is not big enough for you to want him to fold.

- behind. Its pretty simple that you wouldnt raise the flop if you were behind. You are not going to get a fold often enough.

However this changes in a real hand where you cant see his cards. Calling the flop and folding turn is not the optimal play when you are ahead (duuh!). So you are going to make som bad folds sometimes from a FTOP point of view.

So if he keeps donking you need to get a read on what he is donking and then evaluate whether taking A high to SD is profitable.

But dont raise flop donks with A high!

If he donks a lot with random hands you should consider raising his flop donk with a good draw for folding equity.

BTW, FTOP = Fundamental Theorem of Poker.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But dont raise flop donks with A high!

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless he does it all the time, it's multiway and you can use it to protect your hand.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:33 AM

Like LuckySAAL [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]