Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Re: The Office 11/1

[ QUOTE ]
Dwight wanting to blow up the branch with Molotov cocktails seemed a bit out of character to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

There were a few moments this season that seemed out of character. Dwight plays a computer game during work hours? Andy needs woman advice and asks... Dwight?

Early in the series, Steve Carell felt that his character hated Toby, so the writers made it a recurring joke.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:47 PM

in the 2nd episode of the first season michael kicks toby out of the diversity meeting remember....
Old 11-03-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There were a few moments this season that seemed out of character. Dwight plays a computer game during work hours? Andy needs woman advice and asks... Dwight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the Second Life video game stuff was obviously related to his depression after breaking up with Angela.

Of course, Dwight is pretty nuts in general but I just wouldn't have expected him to try and do violent [censored] like burn down a building or stab someone in the eyeballs with chalk.

There have definitely been some weird moments for a lot of the characters this season. Either way, still a very funny show.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There have definitely been some weird moments for a lot of the characters this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most television shows run into this problem. 22 episodes a season is a lot more to maintain than people think. As a result, continuity of character is going to suffer. Without a finite end date for a series you need to continue to stretch the mythology of the show in order to generate fresh episodes.

The UK office was just over 14* episodes. Gervais then did 13 or so episodes of Extras.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is cut something short. Very few series can pull off 3 or 4+ seasons and maintain any semblance of the original intent.

Not the I'm saying I want to see The Office bow out. I loved the most recent episode and thought it was one of the best of the early season. But for those who did not enjoy it you better get used to it because things are likely to become more far fetched from here.

I'm reminded of an interview with Jerry Seinfeld. He stated they were struggling to come up with new ideas for the show. They rolled the dice and produced the episode where Kramer hits the golf ball into the blow hole of a whale. George, pretending to be a marine biologist, saves the whale.

Jerry stated that once they got away with that they knew they could get away with anything. Most series do not get away with it. The question is that as The Office begins to stretch in the same manner, will they be able to pull it off as Seinfeld did.

Edited for the number of UK Office episodes - thanks JMa.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There have definitely been some weird moments for a lot of the characters this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

The UK office was just over 50 episodes.

[/ QUOTE ]

the UK office was 14 eps
Old 11-03-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The UK office was just over 50 episodes.

[/ QUOTE ]

the UK office was 14 eps

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. Not sure why i typed 50. 2 seasons of 6 (not 22) then 2 others. My fingers get ahead of my brain.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:13 PM

I just watched it right now. Meh. I must not have been in the right mood, cause I didn't enjoy this episode much at all. Gonna watch it again tomorrow or something.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most television shows run into this problem. 22 episodes a season is a lot more to maintain than people think. As a result, continuity of character is going to suffer. Without a finite end date for a series you need to continue to stretch the mythology of the show in order to generate fresh episodes.

The UK office was just over 14* episodes. Gervais then did 13 or so episodes of Extras.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is cut something short. Very few series can pull off 3 or 4+ seasons and maintain any semblance of the original intent.

Not the I'm saying I want to see The Office bow out. I loved the most recent episode and thought it was one of the best of the early season. But for those who did not enjoy it you better get used to it because things are likely to become more far fetched from here.

I'm reminded of an interview with Jerry Seinfeld. He stated they were struggling to come up with new ideas for the show. They rolled the dice and produced the episode where Kramer hits the golf ball into the blow hole of a whale. George, pretending to be a marine biologist, saves the whale.

Jerry stated that once they got away with that they knew they could get away with anything. Most series do not get away with it. The question is that as The Office begins to stretch in the same manner, will they be able to pull it off as Seinfeld did.

Edited for the number of UK Office episodes - thanks JMa.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very well put. I think the reason why a lot of long-time Office fans feel that this season's episodes weren't as good as other was because of: 1. the slight changes of character among the cast and 2. the fact that more and more segments take place out of the actual office. For me, one of the best things about the earlier seasons was the fact that the show did an awesome job of resembling an office environment. Now, you have a ton of unrealistic story lines and it also seems like all the characters know one another as if they were eachother's friends rather than co-workers. Don't get me wrong, the show is still great, but definetely different from earlier seasons.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:54 AM

Joss Whedon directed this episode...didn't notice that until I watched it for a 2nd time yesterday. I wonder if that's why this episode was so OWNAGE
Old 11-04-2007, 12:15 PM

He also directed Business School, I think. Both good eps. Unsure of his impact.