Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 04:47 PM

Default AA 400nl checkup

I'm running 30/25/4 but villian has only played 9 hands with me on stats, so basically we're unknown. effective stacks 400, 6max. 2/4nl

UTG+1 with 20% pfr opens to 16, I repop on button to 50 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], SB (villian) INSTA coldcalls, UTG thinks and folds.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (pot 120, 350 behind)

SB pauses for a second and checks, I get a horrible feeling about his timing and check.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (pot 120, 350 behind)

SB bets 95, I call 95.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (pot 310, 255 behind)

SB pushes for 255, I fold.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:49 PM

Default Re: AA 400nl checkup

barf
Old 11-16-2006, 04:53 PM

Oh. My. God. I very much dislike every street except preflop.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:56 PM

Getting over 2 to 1 dont know if I can fold this.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:14 PM

so you are going to lay down the nut flush to under a pot sized bet. The only thing that you are beat by is KK and 99. Most players will make the third bet with KK and will fold 99 to the re-raise. He has something like AK or AQ. He doesnt bet the flop because he wants to see if you will bet. Since you didnt bet with a flush draw out there he thinks that dont have a K. When the turn comes he makes a small bet to see what you will do just in case you raise him there. When the river hits he knows that the only card that you wont call with is the As which you have. I think that he has the Qs and dosen't mind a call in this spot because only KK and As have him beat and the best play on the river is to move in youself and not let your oponent do the same and put you in the situation that you are in. Your mistake was letting the hand get that far. A $120 pot is better than folding in a $300 pot without seeing that you are beat.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:33 PM

just because you got shown KK dont pretend like you folded
Old 11-16-2006, 05:35 PM

yea, this fold sucks.....obv nh
Old 11-16-2006, 05:36 PM

Your flop check is random FPS. The turn you need to raise. The river is actually the worst, you set up an elaborate trap then don't spring it when he bites.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:02 PM

Man I must really suck.

Ok so he insta calls preflop. This probably means he was clicking call anyway and it was a no brainer call, or he was planning on calling utg, and accidentily cold called.

So basically for me his range here is 22+, AQ+, and he probably isnt very good, seeming not even to remotely t hink about the possiblity of UTG reraising. Either he didnt think or he was hoping for it.

He has no idea I 3-bet light, and no read.

Flop has a K on it, lots of players might check AK behind in my position here. He checks, I check. To him my range could now be <blanks, AK, 10-10-QQ, KK/99 (unlikely), AA (very unlikely)>, and his range to me is still <22+, AQ+>.

Turn brings a spade. If he is to bluff he has to consider that I almost certainly have a pair at least, and possibly AK, and also quite possibly a big spade. It seems unlikely he has a spade that he would bet here. To me when he makes this bet his range is <AK no spade, AQ no spade (unlikely), set>.

When I call, I EITHER have a big spade, or a pair of queens or better, or both.

River brings a spade and pairs the bottom card. My possible hands to him here are <QQ one pair, Q high flush, AK no spade, set, A high flush>. His range is <pair of kings no spade, ace high, rarely the Q high flush, set>

I don't think he's ever value betting a pair of kings on this river, value betting the Qs is unlikely, and that would require a total turn bluff which is also unlikely so altogether very rare for Qs here. I dont think he's bluffing my range. So to me this is a set 90% of the time.

That combined with the fact that I felt strength from his flop timing made it a fold.

I agree raising the turn is good.

I think calling this river is horrible. Those who say call what do you expect to get shown ?
Old 11-16-2006, 06:07 PM

If you're saying villain is really bad and is just clicking the call button, I wouldn't expect him to look much past his own hand.