Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 07:38 AM

Default Official Review Thread, Willd $4/180

Hey guys, here's a $4/180 win from Willd to be reviewed. You guys know what to do.

Here's the link: http://www.pokerxfactor.com/HA85923/...0win%20HH/8550
Old 09-26-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Official Review Thread, Willd $4/180

14. I usually just fold preflop. As played I like it
55. I pretty much always cbet here and probably fold to a raise
63. Bit frisky pre but I like it I guess, in a $4 I don't think you really need to play these pots at these blinds with your stack since the steal doesn't add a lot to your stack and it is often a tricky hand to play post flop
74. Might be inclined to check call the flop then fold to a second barrel. As played after 2 callers I would fold to any action
76. I'd raise 575-600 or less since it does the same job and costs less chips (like hand 108)
82. Good fold, vs adept villains i'd 3 bet very wide here obv, vs your avg 4/180'er I think it's an easy fold since there are a lot of passive monkeys
95. I fold the turn
96. I fold pre, as played fine
99. I like it
120. lol, I like it
128. I call pre
130. I raise more pre, like 3.5k
142. I don't mind flat calling his raise, pretty gay hand
143. Pretty close, I guess if KTs is in his range then good call
148. I probably lead the flop and fold to his c/r or double barrel the turn (meh you lost less chips than I would have [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
149. I bet the turn
160. I fold to his 3 bet -- I very much doubt you are getting 3 bet with a hand worse than KQs. As played I probably check fold the flop though I suppose the stop and go isn't too bad.
161. I fold the flop, as played probably bet the turn, river is fine obv.
162. Read dependant, in this tourney I lean towards fold
164. Prolly just shove but its fine, obv calling a raise
168. Woulda preferred to have shoved the AJo a few hands ago than this, although this shove is actually ok since he is raising every hand and there is no players behind you
178. Don't like attacking the big stack as well as the SB liable to stack off (not to mention the other two shorties), I just fold pre
188. If it checked to you I would have checked behind due to the BB cold calling the 3 bet, with the mini bet, I flat call it. I really don't like the shove
196. You can just flat call since 55 doesn't really flop well when called. I like the flop check but bet the turn
198. Prolly just fold pre but I like it
220. I just fold pre again. I like it as played
221. Again, I tend to prefer a flat call here, I raise to something that is at least 10k if i'm 3 betting though, not a lot is folding to 8k and you don't exactly want action.
227. Cbet, he has missed this a lot and you won't get bluffed a whole lot. It's not a great turn to raise but I still put him on not a whole lot so probably do raise [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
234. In a raise 1 caller line pre, I always always cbet when an ace flops
238. I shut down on the turn
240. I like
247. Bah, probably fold pre, don't mind a squeeze here but calling seems bad since they are both pretty short for a raise that size. As played fine
256. 94o might be a good spot to give him a walk. It's fine though
257. I like
259. Nooooooo fold pre or shove if you think he's doing that a bit too light. Calling is bad
265. I probably just fold since he's looking to get it in fairly soon
272. Again I fold preflop, as played fine imo
280. lol, I might fold after the 3rd bet but I suck heads up so it's probably ok

Overall I think you play way too good for a 4/180 and should move up or something. Also I don't claim to be any sort of authority on MTTs [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Congrats on winning
Old 09-26-2007, 02:56 PM

Hand 3: Not a big fan of the limp here, too early position.

Hand 35: Im not real sure this kinda play really works in 4.40s, people call too much and I think it will just lead to some fairly bad spots. I could be wrong.

Hand 55: Why no cbet here? Seems like a perfect spot for one.
Hand 63: I really dont like the pf raise here, you are too early and not much to gain but alot to lose. U got lucky and hit a great flop here but I could easily see in a reverse situation where you get outkicked or other bad things.

72: This is a risky raise too, I might just openfold here because you get in a lot of [censored] spots, you like never like the flop unless you hit a set and half the time ur oop.

74: This is a spot on the flop that I like to check now, this board is more drawy so a bet is probably more ok than if it was Kragrag rainbow because the only worse hands taht will call you here are draws and when you get called you wont know if its abetter hand than yours like KJ or if its a draw, so you wont know whether to go ahead with it on the turn. Plus checking allows them to bet their draws and tens which you call making you money or if it checks through and no club comes you can bet and they wont really put you on a King so you will get paid by other stuff.

Hand 95: The flop bet is probably fine cuz you just wanna take it right there if at all possible. Once Im called though Im done with it pretty much. I dont see much you can beat at all that hes betting the turn with.

Hand 96: I dont really like the pf limp as the hand just sucks pretty much and a flop like the one you got is very unlikely, wp after that tho.

Hand 120: I probably raise preflop as you have position and hes probably limping a ton of garbage in. As played you played it fine I think.

Hand 142: I think I just call here, I mean the guy didnt raise you with Q10 earlier so his range is probably fairly tight here plus he is a bigstack so he can hurt you alot worse. SO i would just call and try and play a small pot or get a really good flop. Once he 4bets you I think you should just fold evern tho the odds are greatcuz almost every flop sucks for you.

Hand 148: Why no bet on the flop? Im betting nearly ATC here and shutting down if called and I dont improve.

Hand 160: I think you can fold here when he reraises you, you raised UTG and he reraised and theres not gonna be alot of flops you like and some of the others that you do you might lose a lot of chips, liek what happened.

Hand 161: I think your draw sucks here really, your flush is likely to be no good so that leaves you with a gutshot and an over. I think I just fold and dont get involved.

Hand 162: Id be tempted to push over this raise but I dunno if thats right.

Hand 168: Good push I think since hes been active and raised with A6 in ep a min ago.

Hand 178: I dont really like this raise, your hand is really weak, you have 3 shorties behind you that might easily push, two of which you would have to call for sure and a big stack which might look you up. Just openfold I think

Hand 180: Might be a good spot to resteal here

Hand 188: Nice hand I guess, not real sure. I dont know if I like this messing with the chipleaders limp with 67s cuz you get called like everytime I think and have a weak hand.

Hand 196: I probably just limp behind here, you can play position and setmine with some good odds and it keeps you out of some bad spots where you get called by the chipleader or more than one person.

Hand 198: I think I raise his flop bet here as theres a decent chance you have the best hand and hes probably just probing and you wanna knock out the guy behind you. I dont know if like pf really.

Hand 211: I might just limp this one but raising is fine
too.

Hand 221: I like reraising more here. Wp otherwise

Hand 227: I prolly cont bet here, seems liek a good board to do it if hes not aggressive with checkraises.

Hand 229: Starting to get a lil too aggresssive maybe and priced urself in.

Hand 234: I like a cont bet for sure here, if hes aggressive he might be able to take it away from you since you give him the chance.

Hand 238: I dont like the two barrel here, there are no draws that he coulda called you with and he doesnt seem the type to float you with nothing.

Hand 239: Id be tempted to resteal here.

Hand 247: I dont know if I call the flop bet here, the board is only gonna get worse for you and you have the pf raiser behind you which could raise and make you waste your 4K. After the flop its fine.

Hand 252: Resteal here too maybe

Hand 256: I hate your raise size here, you have a garbage hand and you are giving him great odds. EIther fold or raise larger.

Hand 259: Why do you call here? I hate this.

Hand 276: I might actually check this flop cuz the board is god awful and I think u get called/raised alot.

Hand 280: Cant say If i woulda called this myself as it really appears he has you beat when he goes over the top of your checkraise which really I see as at least top pair and all Kings beat you. nh though i guess

Overall I would say you played pretty well. Get back to me on these hands.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:28 PM

Just a couple of comments, not as comprehensive as the other excellent reviews here:

Overall, really good aggression. Agree with Rupert. You're play seems good enough for higher buy ins.

160: Fold to RR here. KQs plays well vs. no aggression only, imo. You especially get into trouble when you flop something, as you did here.

161: fold flop. Even though you won a lot here, you're FD is -ev.

168: Not a bad play at higher buy ins, but I've had no success at this level re-stealing. They don't let go of PP's, and will even call you with crap like KJ, A9, etc. (in other words, their raising range is too close to their 3-bet calling range.) It's only a good play if you can get enough of the race hands to fold to compensate for the times you get called with a higher PP. imo

196: The other comments are good too, but I was thinking I don't like the river call.

238: The double barrell too costly here, esp. since it's a perfect slowplay situation (e.g. with 9x) vs. an aggro player like yourself.

280: I hate this spot, but hard to fold tp even with no kicker. I like to play these more passively if possible, but maybe not deep enough to do this.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:03 AM

Well played and standard. I don't know what you are doing playing $4/180s.

9. I don’t like betting close to pot on the dry flop in a $4. I would check the flop, even with 3 opponents. You could also bet about half pot.

221. I prefer a flat call to a 3-bet with 77. You are losing the chance to stack JJ+, AK if you make your set.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:30 AM

55. I pretty much always cbet here and probably fold to a raise
I like not cbetting QQ on the Kxx flop. In fact, I wouldn't bet the turn either.
96. I fold pre, as played fine
I wouldn't fold suited cards in the SB in a limped pot.
143. Pretty close, I guess if KTs is in his range then good call
Easy call.
162. Read dependant, in this tourney I lean towards fold
I like the push of AJo against a mid position raise. I think you have a lot of FE late in a 4.
234. In a raise 1 caller line pre, I always always cbet when an ace flops
When you have KK, not cbetting an ace high flop is OK.
259. Nooooooo fold pre or shove if you think he's doing that a bit too light. Calling is bad
I don't think calling with the suited cards in the BB with pot odds is terrible.
265. I probably just fold since he's looking to get it in fairly soon
265 was taken down preflop with raise with KK. You must mean another hand.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:12 AM

234: whats your plan if he bets? check/call one street?
265: Oops yeah meant 264
Old 09-27-2007, 09:10 AM

I only just noticed this was put up as I haven't had a lot of time the last few days but I've replied to as much as I can so hopefully you can see my thought process and point any any errors in my thinking.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3: Not a big fan of the limp here, too early [position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't always limp here but I think 4/180s are passive enough that I'll see a cheap flop often enough to make this ok.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 35: Im not real sure this kinda play really works in 4.40s, people call too much and I think it will just lead to some fairly bad spots. I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again not something I will do too often but I like to raise a few non premiums from early position. Probably don't need to do that at these low buy ins though.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 55: Why no cbet here? Seems like a perfect spot for one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend not to cbet in these spots, where either I'm behind or they normally have at most 3 outs to catch up. By betting I'm almost turning my hand into a bluff as I rarely get called by worst. Checking can sometimes get value from smaller pocket pairs on later streets. In position this is an easy check, oop it's slightly closer I think.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 63: I really dont like the pf raise here, you are too early and not much to gain but alot to lose. U got lucky and hit a great flop here but I could easily see in a reverse situation where you get outkicked or other bad things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again not something I'd do every time and after I get called in 2 spots I'm not going far unless I flop 2 pair or the flush draw.

[ QUOTE ]
72: This is a risky raise too, I might just openfold here because you get in a lot of [censored] spots, you like never like the flop unless you hit a set and half the time ur oop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I possibly shouldn't be raising this with these stacks. Open folding might be better under ~30 bbs deep

[ QUOTE ]
74: This is a spot on the flop that I like to check now, this board is more drawy so a bet is probably more ok than if it was Kragrag rainbow because the only worse hands taht will call you here are draws and when you get called you wont know if its abetter hand than yours like KJ or if its a draw, so you wont know whether to go ahead with it on the turn. Plus checking allows them to bet their draws and tens which you call making you money or if it checks through and no club comes you can bet and they wont really put you on a King so you will get paid by other stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think in a 4/180 I can get called by worse that isn't a draw on that flop. I will normally bet and give up to any action unless turn improves my hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 95: The flop bet is probably fine cuz you just wanna take it right there if at all possible. Once Im called though Im done with it pretty much. I dont see much you can beat at all that hes betting the turn with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know why I called the turn and I agree I'm virtually never ahead there.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 96: I dont really like the pf limp as the hand just sucks pretty much and a flop like the one you got is very unlikely, wp after that tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally only limp Qxs in cash games where players are slightly better but in tournaments, especially this low, I will limp most suited cards as the play is a fair bit worse.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 120: I probably raise preflop as you have position and hes probably limping a ton of garbage in. As played you played it fine I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will often raise here pre as well. Post flop the guy had been pretty horrible so call down seemed reasonable.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 142: I think I just call here, I mean the guy didnt raise you with Q10 earlier so his range is probably fairly tight here plus he is a bigstack so he can hurt you alot worse. SO i would just call and try and play a small pot or get a really good flop. Once he 4bets you I think you should just fold evern tho the odds are greatcuz almost every flop sucks for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy had been bad/agro which is why I reraised but looking back at the other bvb you're probably right. After he 4 bet I wasn't pushing hard without at least pair+flush draw so I'm not entirely sure if I was getting the correct implied odds for that or not.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 148: Why no bet on the flop? Im betting nearly ATC here and shutting down if called and I dont improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again the guy had been very agro so the check was a little suspiscious. Bet/fold might have been better than the line I took though.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 160: I think you can fold here when he reraises you, you raised UTG and he reraised and theres not gonna be alot of flops you like and some of the others that you do you might lose a lot of chips, liek what happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I should have folded to the reraise.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 161: I think your draw sucks here really, your flush is likely to be no good so that leaves you with a gutshot and an over. I think I just fold and dont get involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree again but I have a sf draw [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 162: Id be tempted to push over this raise but I dunno if thats right.
Hand 168: Good push I think since hes been active and raised with A6 in ep a min ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he'd been in slightly later position I would have pushed. He hadn't been very active up to this point, although obviously he had just loosened up a lot, which led me to pushing the 33.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 178: I dont really like this raise, your hand is really weak, you have 3 shorties behind you that might easily push, two of which you would have to call for sure and a big stack which might look you up. Just openfold I think

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a habit of getting a little carried away with stealing blinds on a tight table without checking stack sizes behind me. I agree this should be a fold with the shortstacks behind.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 180: Might be a good spot to resteal here

[/ QUOTE ]

I will often resteal here but the raiser had declined a few previous chances to steal and stacks were a little too deep to resteal against a tight raiser with 44 I think.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 188: Nice hand I guess, not real sure. I dont know if I like this messing with the chipleaders limp with 67s cuz you get called like everytime I think and have a weak hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a reasonable read on the chipleader and knew he would give up on a lot of flops (he would normally minbet with not much). When bb called as well I was slightly more worried but that flop made it easier to play. I wouldn't do this against a random.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 198: I think I raise his flop bet here as theres a decent chance you have the best hand and hes probably just probing and you wanna knock out the guy behind you. I dont know if like pf really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop is probably close but I think stack sizes are better for it than the raise with T9 earlier. I'm not sure if I achieve anything by raising this flop. I don't think the guy behind me folds anything better if I raise and he might call behind with hands like 66 or 77 if I just call.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 211: I might just limp this one but raising is fine too.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hand is so far ahead of the limpers range and calling will often put me in a bad spot after the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 227: I prolly cont bet here, seems liek a good board to do it if hes not aggressive with checkraises.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had been far too tight for 5 handed play so I was a little worried about a c/r. However betting probably gets him off all his unpaired hands so it would probably still have been better.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 234: I like a cont bet for sure here, if hes aggressive he might be able to take it away from you since you give him the chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is another spot where it's an easy check in position and much closer out of position. I still think that check/call 1 bet is probably best as it's a WA/WB situation.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 238: I dont like the two barrel here, there are no draws that he coulda called you with and he doesnt seem the type to float you with nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree this was bad.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 247: I dont know if I call the flop bet here, the board is only gonna get worse for you and you have the pf raiser behind you which could raise and make you waste your 4K. After the flop its fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

As was seen before, villain had a tendency to make weak bets with weak hands. The pre-flop raiser also hadn't been particularly tricky so I had no reason to think he would come over the top without a hand that was beating me and would fold most hands I was ahead of. This was another read based play and I would normally fold this against unknowns.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 259: Why do you call here? I hate this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know why i called here, it's obviously pretty bad.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 280: Cant say If i woulda called this myself as it really appears he has you beat when he goes over the top of your checkraise which really I see as at least top pair and all Kings beat you. nh though i guess

[/ QUOTE ]

I know at the time I felt he was getting impatient with the tournament so thought he could be coming back over the top with a pretty wide range. Looking back at it now I'm not sure what made me think that so it might be bad.

[ QUOTE ]
Overall I would say you played pretty well. Get back to me on these hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks (to everyone who's said it looks good), it's good to know that my play in general seems pretty solid. I don't play a huge amount and as such haven't built up much of a bankroll. I only have about $800 on stars which is why i'm playing 4/180s, although at the time I played this I had even less. The comments have given me enough confidence to take some shots now though so hopefully I can get a decent score and move up properly.