Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Sklansky Hand Rankings Destroyed! >=)

[ QUOTE ]
Where do you play I would like to go heads up and test your theory, LOL. I see at least you are putting effort into thinking about the game so that is a good thing. I have to believe in the method of Pros, the ones who make a living at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play at Poker Stars. What do you want to play heads up with? Play chips? Because that's all that I have.

Thanks for not totally dismissing my theory. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let me show you an example, backed by a real life event.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're killing me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
My brother and I like to play heads up poker against one another...

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever play HU not against each other...like on the same side as each other?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. We are very competitive with each other. It runs in the family, on the weekends we'll sit around and play HU against each other, sometimes our Dad or my cousin James will play too.

[ QUOTE ]
So let's examine the final hand:

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The *final* hand. No more poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was extremely angry that he had called me with Jack high and I went on a cussing rampage. Haha. I asked him why he called me with J*4 when I pushed on the flop, and he simply responded "Because I didn't think you had sh*t". Good answer.

[ QUOTE ]
Why did he win? Here is the reason (and the basis of my hypothesis). I did not have numerical advantage. If you view the cards simply as numbers, then you will understand what I mean:

2-10 represent the numbers they are.
Jack = 11
Queen = 12
King = 13
Ace = 14.

To understand numerical advantage multiply the cards by each other.
Thus; A*J = 154, 7*6 = 42, J*4 = 44, Q*K= 156.

In that hand, I would've never won with AJ, despite the fact that Sklansky would consider hand to be dominant over QK. However, if I had QK, I would've won. AJ would've certainly beat J4, and 76 never had a chance against any of the other 3 hands described. This is because of numerical advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, AQ (168) would have beaten KQ? Because here is where your theory may need some refinement. KQ (156) < AQ (168), yet, counter-intuitively, in the final hand, KQ would have prevailed despite the fact that AQ clearly enjoys the numerical advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I forgot to address this when I was writing last night. AQ does enjoy the numerical advantage, and has math on its side. KQ enjoys more synchronicity (they are not gapped, and closer together) which would mean it has more luck on its side. Of course, any two cards can beat any other two. Despite A*K having a distinct NA over 2*4, 2*4 always has the completely random possibility of winning over A*K, but according to NA it is less likely.

Also, the only way to employ this theory is knowing and having a very good read on your opponent. It is only useful for helping to calculate your luck odds. If you have a good read that you have a numerical advantage against your opponent, that your hand is "luckier", then this could help to aid you in winning the hand.

Thanks for asking this, and thanks for the constructive criticism. My theory definitely needs refinement, I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps the sample size is too large.

Look for a dollar from me shortly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay! Thank you!
If you or anyone has any doubts that I'm broke as a joke, I can provide screenshots of my Poker Stars cashier as proof.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.timecube.com/ = OP

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not mean this thread to turn into a religious battle between the faithful and the pagan. Posting this link is irrelevant and ignorant, please stick to the topic.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:59 PM

Do we need anymore proof that not everyone should be allowed to post in this forum?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. it really takes balls to leave your name (youngdro i think) attached to a post like this... Im guessing this post was written as a joke. i shouldnt respond but i feel compelled to just because i will never get those precious minutes of my life back...

[censored] you youngdro you [censored] douchebag piece of [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is no joke and nobody forced you to read it.
No one forced you to reply and offer a negative opinion.
Do you not think that your negativity and ignorant puerile insults are a waste of time either? I can understand that you're not very open-minded and ideas as deep and complex as this take a leap of faith to understand. Your mother probably never taught you to not offer your opinion unless you have something good to say. You could've have easily read, exited, and never replied to this thread... but you chose ignorantly to respond dismissing (but not disproving) my theory and insulting my character, which was unnecessary and unwarranted.

I am the better man, and yes, I do have quite large testicles, thanks for noticing.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do we need anymore proof that not everyone should be allowed to post in this forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love sheep.
They love to follow the crowd and redundantly repeat what others have already said.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:24 PM

After reading the part where he claimed his hand was a double belly buster when it was a simpe oesd, and the fact that he doesnt realize the concept of all in equity, i pretty much quit reading this after close to 20 seconds.

you are a moron sir, my dad has a phd, who gives a [censored].
Old 04-16-2007, 01:26 PM

hey youngdro. im going to trace your ip address and come over. by tomorrow you and your brothers bodies will be at the bottom of a river..
Old 04-16-2007, 01:58 PM

I wont make fun of ya but you theory sounds bad. I will give you K-9 and I will take A-6 and we will do 50 flops at 50 a piece.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:07 PM

Some quick advice:

1) Move this thread to BBV

2) Juxtapose with This thread where OP demonstrates why overcards are superior to Pocket Pairs

3) Hilarity ensues!