Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Frat \"Hood\" party

This might belong in politics so mods please move and forgive me if you think it does.

I noticed this story on Yahoo. What do you think, OOT? Does the fraternity need to be taught a lesson for this or is having poor judgement not a crime.

I don't want to turn this into flaming cause I know this is a touchy subject. I was just curious as to what everyone thought.

Hood Party

EDIT: Fixed link
Old 10-31-2006, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Frat \"Hood\" party

At first read, it seems like the usual hyper-sensitive politically correct BS that you'd expect. There's nothing wrong with this--does anyone get upset when a frat has a "white-trash" party?

PS-Congrats on yo prostate foo.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:51 PM

JHU frats are filled with [censored]. They thought a party where all the rich losers from NJ who couldn't get into a real ivy league school come dressed as black people would be funny. It was not, and they had a guy hanging outside. Some punishment would be valid if it offended people in the community...and I'm sure it did. Nobody's getting arrested obviously, but suspending the Frat itself sounds fair.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At first read, it seems like the usual hyper-sensitive politically correct BS that you'd expect. There's nothing wrong with this--does anyone get upset when a frat has a "white-trash" party?

[/ QUOTE ]

well maybe if the people throwing the 'hood party' were black this analogy would make sense.

although if black people threw a 'white trash' party and dressed up like trailer trash i would probably think it was pretty funny.

the fact that it's a frat event and that it happened in an area where racial tensions are already present makes the reaction pretty standard. if they had thrown this thing in the middle of nebraska or whatever i don't think anyone would have noticed. wouldn't make it more or less tasteful, just sayin.

i for one would probably not feel good bringing any of my black friends to this party.

NT
Old 10-31-2006, 04:56 PM

I go to JHU, and yesterday morning as I was walking to class the BSU was outside with signs saying "BAN SIGMA CHI" and "STOP RACISM" etc and were out there form at least 9-6. Basically, what happened was the party was announced on facebook and had some stereotypical black jokes and references. There were also some Chappelle jokes on the bottom, and everyone thought it was amazingly offensive. A lot of people seem to think that this is being blown way out of proportion, because the kid was just repeating some jokes and using words like bling bling. Nothing too wrong was said, but the BSU also handed out pictures of the pirate hanging and it looked pretty bad. No one I know went to that party cause sig chi kinda sucks here. Also, apparently the NAACP is planning on suing the university unless proper action is taken so I dunno what's really up with all this as of now.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:56 PM

what's a hoochie hoop?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:57 PM

To me, the issue isn't the theme of the party, it was more about the pirate skeleton hanging outside. Does someone more familiar with this know if there's any significance to it being a pirate?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:58 PM

I don't have a big problem with a bunch of white guys dressing up like Flava Flav for a party. Whatever.

What got me was the skeleton hung outside. That seemed like the part that was really over the top.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:00 PM

Fruit Basket,

Big hoop earings. Not really a hallmark of just the black community any more.

Stuff like this is bothersome, less because of the execution of it, but more the attitude behind it. I mean, yes, it's funny to see a white kid obviously trying to be black. There's a lot about the stereotypical aspects of any culture that is pretty amusing. However, setting up black culture as someting to be mocked by pretty white kids, just kinda unsavory.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:02 PM

no punishment. they did nothing wrong. tasteless maybe. wrong no.