Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: things that you\'re unnecessarily ocd about

[ QUOTE ]
whenever i look at a digital clock, i multiply the hour by the minutes. right now, 4:46 is 184

[/ QUOTE ]
I might start doing this. Exercising mental arithmatic is useful.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well she assigns them around based on their "weight" like I said and I imagine if it doesn't balance for her she rearranges numbers until it does. If she can't make it balance then it requires she rearrange or maybe add something to the scene. Stuff like a single picture is probably beneath her skills at this point. It would be more like a whole wall of photographs or the arrangement of the couch, lamp, table, curtains and rug.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can see where she's coming from. I used to count the numbers of letters in sentences, to the point that sometimes I only talked in sentences whose letters multiplied 5 (I could do it pretty fast). I also used to count angles/patterns you can create inside squares (and I'd do this if not thinking of anything else and looking at a picture, say). Stopped both through "force of will" I guess - making myself not do it again. They're not exactly useful things to be doing in everyday life, and they sound kind of similiar, with the traps you can get your mind stuck in.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, I can't imagine NEEDING to put it on an even number or a multiple of 5. What is the reasoning behind this?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no reasoning. That is why we're all nuts. If we could understand it logically, we might stop doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I understand. I just don't understand. Dig?

I do find it particularly weird that you all do it the same way. Evens or 5s. That part seems awkward. Does anyone do odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do about most of the things in this thread, just not the bat [censored] crazy weighting furniture thing and anything to do with books I'm not fussy.

For the volume thing I do evens or numbers ending in 7, multiples of 5 send me crazy, mostly on my PC screen. 67 is my favourite. Although I prefer 47, but 47 is too low.

I also count when I walk and if there is a change of material I am walking on then the step before the new material has to be an even step. If it isn't I just do a funny little step that makes me look like a mental person to passers by. But rules are rules.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also acronymize sentences I hear or say. If I spoke or heard the sentence before this one, I would say 'IAASIHOS' in my head. I've gotten pretty fast at this obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I can see where she's coming from. I used to count the numbers of letters in sentences, to the point that sometimes I only talked in sentences whose letters multiplied 5 (I could do it pretty fast).

[/ QUOTE ]

duuuuuuuuuuude. you guys are stone cold crazy mofos.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 PM

If I ever use the toilet in someone elses bathroom, ill check to make sure ive flushed it at least 5 times. Usually 4 in the bathroom, then ill walk out of the room and immediately walk right back in and check once more.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:59 PM

Oh, and I also wont write with red pens. Feel like im losing money.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do the air-typing thing as well, over and over. Sometimes I'm pretty sure I made a typo and I'll have to use vi (unix editor) codes to erase and restart. And the screen has to be empty for it to count (must start with a cleared screen in my head).

I also acronymize sentences I hear or say. If I spoke or heard the sentence before this one, I would say 'IAASIHOS' in my head. I've gotten pretty fast at this obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I see a particularly good grouping of letters on a sign, I'll try to anagram it. When I go to the movies I think about Regal Glare Lager. Red Robin = Rob Diner = Brine Rod. My co-worker has a monitor by some brand "Sceptre", and I was pleased when I found "respect". I'm not very good at it, and I consciously try and get better, which is perhaps the weirdest of all.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:18 PM

I have a hard time walking down stairs at an even pace because the first few steps will create a rhythm that I'll stick to. I also tend to make notice of words that look weird like rhythm.

I've locked my keys in the car twice and since then I always check for my keys before I close the door even though I have a spare in my wallet. I am also a habitual wallet checker even though I've never lost one.

I cannot stand cabinet doors left open. If I can hear a dripping faucet it is all I can hear. I got both of these from my mother.

Where I live we have 14% sales tax and I try to figure out the grand total before reaching the cashier. It was much easier when the tax was 15%.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Where I live we have 14% sales tax and I try to figure out the grand total before reaching the cashier. It was much easier when the tax was 15%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored], where do you live? 1950's Russia?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

I have never had a stereo or a tv that used a numeric volume system. Seriously, I can't imagine NEEDING to put it on an even number or a multiple of 5. What is the reasoning behind this? I mean I do some weird number things now and then, but this one just seems really pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the closest I can get to a logical explanation is saying even numbers/multiples of 5 are more "clean" and orderly. I mean, come on, 73 is just a horrible, sloppy-looking number, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely, 666 is a much more harmonic number.