Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: People who buy bottled water are fish at life.

So if Penn and Teller says it's right is it. Just try tap water from different cities, they definitely have a different taste. I can tell when my parents give me water out of the kitchen tap when I visit and when they give it to me from the fridge which has a filter.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So if Penn and Teller says it's right is it. Just try tap water from different cities, they definitely have a different taste. I can tell when my parents give me water out of the kitchen tap when I visit and when they give it to me from the fridge which has a filter.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much my scientific experiment. I have been to several people's houses who have offered me a glass of water. I can quickly tell if they took it out of the tap or if it was filtered. Every time.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ya, I should start carrying a cup in my pocket at all times so I can just use the gas stations tap water.......

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what water bottles are for. Some of the smarter yet more image conscious people I know pour tap water into an old evian bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

We did this at a poker club I used to run becasue one fo our players insisted on having bottled water.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RE: people saying the taste is different:

Penn and Teller had an episode of BS on this question.
They had a waiter at a nice restaurant offer a couple the "water menu". He brought them a bunch of different water selections, which he described by different names, saying they all originated from different countries, etc.
The couple claimed to taste a difference, but all of the water was from the same garden house out back.

If you think one water tastes better than the other, it might be psychological thing. OTOH, that doesn't mean spending the money is a sucker play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting I guess. But in the right cities I imagine it wouldn't be as difficult to pull off the garden-hose play.

I'm 36 so when I grew up I don't even think there was any bottled or filtered water around anyway. If there was I didn't know about it.
I pretty much just drank water out of the tap all the time and was pretty old-school in my thinking that bottled-water is just freaking ridiculous.

I think I'm pretty open-minded about it as I've had tap-water at some places that I thought was fine.
And have also had bottled-water that I thought didn't taste so fabulous.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that all big American cities had water that was similarly good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time you are in vegas, try some tap water. horrible. I never drank bottle/filtered water until I moved here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I don't even like to rinse my mouth with Vegas tap water when I brush my teeth there.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:15 PM

So I never noticed before than Americans call it tap water, but not a tap. [censored] strange.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:17 PM

i think ppl are overestimating the taste difference between tap and bottled water. i'm not saying this because i think tap water is that great, but just because perception is notoriously succeptible to suggestion. e.g. placebos can provide relief for all kinds of ills.

and i'm sure you already knew this but you just aren't one of those silly people who would make such a mistake. well, the mind is also famously overconfident when it comes to evaluating its own abilities.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:28 PM

Dude, there's also a huge difference in the granularity of the 3rd sense of people. Just because you can't taste a big difference in water doesn't mean that other people can't, either.

It's like some people being able to smell that someone has had a smoke from 5 miles away (my dad is one of those), while I can basically stand right next to that person and not notice it at all (and that being a non-smoker, fwiw).
Old 07-06-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Relying on Penn and Teller is ultimate LOLz. One couple's supposed response to a stunt is even bigger LOLz.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ya, I should start carrying a cup in my pocket at all times so I can just use the gas stations tap water.......

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what water bottles are for. Some of the smarter yet more image conscious people I know pour tap water into an old evian bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

We did this at a poker club I used to run becasue one fo our players insisted on having bottled water.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why you never take an opened bottle.