Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Hitting the Ball Far

[ QUOTE ]
I just ordered a sports sensors swing speed radar. I'll post a review/what it says about my clubhead speed when I get a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd put a couple of dollars toward a pool guessing clubhead speed.

I got 144 [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2007, 06:28 AM

Looks like Stadium Golf...

I have pretty damn good eye sight and it's near impossible accurately see where your ball lands past the yellow/black (270-300 yds) at night (let alone during the day) even if you're on the second deck. I don't doubt that you can hit the fence in the air, but I don't know about flying it.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:22 AM

F all the haters man, do what you do.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just ordered a sports sensors swing speed radar. I'll post a review/what it says about my clubhead speed when I get a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd put a couple of dollars toward a pool guessing clubhead speed.

I got 144 [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good guess. Top clubhead speed I got today was 146mph. My swings were between 142 and 146. I wasn't using the "step through" move that is in the OP. I've been away for a few weeks so today was my first day swinging in a while and I couldn't get the timing right with it.

from today:
long drive club 142-146mph
regular length driver 135-139mph
2 iron 115mph
6 iron 106mph
Old 06-10-2007, 04:26 PM

today:
I was hovering around 144-146mph. I hit 148mph once and 151mph once. Those 2 shots were crushed but I'm not sure if they were accurate readings. A 5mph jump seems pretty big.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdvsUeefX-c

This carried around 360+. Next stop REMAX district qualifying.

Anyone else like to rip it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say that 360 carry was a little bit hard to believe until I saw you write that you are 6'4 and 240 (it's hard to tell since you use a long shaft and I have a bad eye for that sort of thing. The best part of the video is the guy next to you who hits a drive about 170.

Since you are from the San Diego area, I should note that I drove the green at the 15th hole at Barona Creek this year, which is 360 from the whites [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (the course was dry as [censored] that day) You might need to hit 3 wood though.

Good luck at the ReMax!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:57 PM

I haven't played Barona Creek yet (haven't played many actual rounds at all lately). I need to change that.

I caved in the face on my 3 wood a few weeks ago, just got the replacement back from Callaway.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played Barona Creek yet (haven't played many actual rounds at all lately). I need to change that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went on a golf vacation in San Diego about two months ago and played Aviara twice, Maderas, Barona Creek, La Costa, and Torrey Pines.

All of them were great except for La Costa, which was very disappointing. Aviara stood out the most by far - very nice course.

I liked Barona (at least as a course) but my playing partners didn't - there was a group of five ladies from the reservation ahead of us with their kids, and they were joined by the group ahead of them around the turn, which meant that they had 6 (!) carts and about 11 people (maybe 8 of which were playing). Needless to say the back nine was pretty slow.

That (and some questionable service) aside, it's a very nice desert-style course. I think limon mentioned it in a golf thread awhile ago as well.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:36 AM

Tell me about Maderas. I used to live right there before it was built.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell me about Maderas. I used to live right there before it was built.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maderas is very very nice as well (I would rate it number 2 out of all of the courses I played on the trip). It's (IIRC) a Johnny Miller course, and is quite challenging. There are a lot of hills and mounds and drastic elevation changes, and knowledge of the course would help a lot. Conditioning is fantastic, and the greens are fast.

There are a couple of holes where homes come into play (all of the homes bordering the course are massive and probably several million dollars a pop), but for the most part it's not too annoying.

They have fantastic practice facilities as well, by far the nicest I've seen anywhere. In particular they have two short game greens you can hit <120 yard shots to, and I'd have gotten there several hours early to get some practice in if I'd have known.