Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-30-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: PDT 2/2 : Why has tipping increased?

I think that this is merely because the ballerness of El D and his friends has increased over the years. They have more money to throw around, they eat in nicer restaurants and so their tipping level has increased. I'm sure there are plenty of stingy tippers still out there.

I doubt that Diablo has his finger on the pulse of the actual staff as to what they expect from their customers. The "expected" tip is calculated from 1. His friends and 2. 2+2. His friends like to keep up appearances and cheap 2+2ers don't like to be flamed.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:35 PM

iron,

"I doubt that Diablo has his finger on the pulse of the actual staff as to what they expect from their customers."

I doubt iron has any f'ing clue about anything.

First off: Also, if you don't agree with the premise of this question, DON'T RESPOND IN THIS THREAD, thanks.

Secondly, I have extensive experience in the bar/restaurant industry and am friends w/ tons of servers/bartenders. Tipping has increased, both in terms of amount and expectation.

Finally, I don't f'ing care about the fact that plenty of stingy tippers still exist. I mean, there are still virgins in their late 20s. That doesn't change the fact that about 50% of kids in high school are having sex.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my g/f claims that in the parts of the midwest she's lived (Wis. & Indiana) 10% is pretty common. I suspect she's just cheap. Can anyone from a flyover state confirm this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm from Illinois (non-Chicago area) and I personally tip based off 20%. Sometimes more sometimes less. I don't know anyone who tips based off 10% in non-Chicago IL, which should be comparable to Indiana and Wisconsin.

I don't know why I tip as high as I do. It isn't about "being a baller" or anything, because I certainly am not that.

I think that it is like Ray Zee said. I just have less of a value for money. It's not detrimental for me. I don't have credit card debt or anything like that (just college loans). The other reason, I assume, is that there is some intrinsic motivation within me and I enjoy helping others, also as Ray stated.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:47 PM

El D,

I feel it may contribute somehow to this thread by saying that I am 22 and have always considered "standard tip" to be 15-18%. This is what I was always brought up on.

That said, I tip 20% or so almost every time I eat.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:51 PM

Tony,

10% is def on the cheap side anywhere, but my experience in the midwest and south is that tipping is still closer to 15% than 20% there for most, while in more urban/cosmopolitan/whatever cities like SF/NYC/LA/Boston it's closer to 20% for quite a few more people.

Autograt of 18% in Texas or Atlanta would be received pretty poorly, I'd guess (I haven't done group dinners there for a long time, though, might be wrong), but it's pretty common now for groups in SF/NYC.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:09 PM

Have we become more of a service economy?
It would make sense then, that more people have worked service jobs, and thus know what it's like to depend on tips for their income.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:10 PM

I think the bulk of the reason is sociological. If I had to guess, I would say that the incremental moves are because (as has been suggested) people want to feel 'better' than the norm. If the norm is 15%, then 20% is 'better'. Also, I am sure this is pushed by the perception of what more rich and/or famous people do. I don't think this really goes on at a conscious level though. This seems similar to words and names coming in to and out of fashion with the masses to me. We are, as individuals and cultures, striving by large to be better than the norm, however we perceive better than the norm as being.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:15 PM

I think there's a common perception today that there's a larger gap in wages between the high-end and low-end jobs. Tipping has become a form of charity. People feel that the minimum wage is not high enough, that the typical entry level service job is not enough to live on, and take it upon themselves to provide what they feel is a more fair income for them. Whether or not this perception is true could be an interesting thread subject.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Autograt of 18% in Texas or Atlanta would be received pretty poorly, I'd guess (I haven't done group dinners there for a long time, though, might be wrong)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's common here for groups.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have we become more of a service economy?
It would make sense then, that more people have worked service jobs, and thus know what it's like to depend on tips for their income.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stated this as well but I dont think its getting enough attention as a factor in this thread