Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: OOT, What is your life situation?

age-34

occupation-
poker in a ton ways. small cardroom owner, play live, grind a bit on the net, done a bunch of poker consulting, travel to play tournaments (rarely now)
stakes vary from 1/2 nl and pl to 75/150 limit on net and a bit bigger live when i travel. play 2-20 spread limit at my cardroom and a weird form of "nl" but my state has weird poker laws. i get to play this game a ton at home.

family-
married (very happily) for 6 year and have 2 young sons. have exteneded family close by. my in-laws are literally the best people in the world that i have ever met.
how smooth do i run at life?? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

how happy with life-
extremely. i have been ridiculously blessed with family, friends, love, etc. money is ok. work as much or as little as i really want in most respects, which has allowed me to spend more time with my sons in a couple years than my father was able to in my entire life.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 PM

Family: Married to HS sweetheart
Happiness: Very. I wish I had more time in the day to work on my side projects and general interests. I find that I only have 3 things that I can focus my attention on at a time. Wife always takes 1 slot, and then it's a battle for the other two, currently it's work and poker but I'd like it to be poker and my other interests.

All things considered things are great.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And dude, I hear ya. I was in your shoes when I was 24. Was in a PhD program in medical microbiology and I hated where that career was going. That was maybe the unhappiest years of my life. In the end I cut my losses, downgraded to a MSc and bolted. I then locked myself in 4 years of medical school which was a tough decision. I don't have any regrets, but with you having a fiancee and stuff it might be tough for you to take on 4 years of another program and all that extra debt you will incur. Once you start a 9-5 with steady income things might turn around for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I finished that same sort of program (PhD Micro/Immuno) and have been on an extended post-doc ever since. Ironically it would be easier for me to get an academic job that focuses primarily on basic science if I had gone the MD route. However PhDs get to live the life of a scrubby student for years past when they should be responsible adults.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:50 PM

"Life promises so much and delivers so little"

Arthur Schopenhauer

I've found that I'm a lot happier when I'm not constantly asking myself whether or not I'm happy.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:55 PM

Occupation: Don't want any of you bastards potentially messing something up, but I work for a major company and make good money in regards to the work I put in. Also am a student worker as my school and I plan on taking up poker again after a self-imposed break
Family: No significant other and definitely not looking; I love being single
Happiness: Dealing with a ton of [censored] right now, probably a 50/50 mix of random bad luck and my own personal poor decisions, but overall when I look at the big picture I can't complain. I have many options in my route to life, I'm learning valuable lessons now while I can afford to, and I've forcibly made myself a much different person than what I was from last year or even six months ago and have experienced a lot
Old 10-24-2007, 03:02 PM

Supervisor

Single

I mostly stick to homegames now. I dick around a bit online, but nothing serious. I'm not cut out to play serious poker.

Happy? Depends. At this current moment, not terribly, but that could change within the hour.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:10 PM

To all you that are happy right now - [censored] YOU!
Old 10-24-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And dude, I hear ya. I was in your shoes when I was 24. Was in a PhD program in medical microbiology and I hated where that career was going. That was maybe the unhappiest years of my life. In the end I cut my losses, downgraded to a MSc and bolted. I then locked myself in 4 years of medical school which was a tough decision. I don't have any regrets, but with you having a fiancee and stuff it might be tough for you to take on 4 years of another program and all that extra debt you will incur. Once you start a 9-5 with steady income things might turn around for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I finished that same sort of program (PhD Micro/Immuno) and have been on an extended post-doc ever since. Ironically it would be easier for me to get an academic job that focuses primarily on basic science if I had gone the MD route. However PhDs get to live the life of a scrubby student for years past when they should be responsible adults.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually a completely true observation. And I didn't mind the research part at all, it was like daily intellectual masturbation. What I hated was all the administrative BS that goes with a faculty position (writing grants, reviewing grants, writing papers, committees and whatnot). All the students were loving it and all the faculty were depressed....just didn't want to end up like them. I think a private job in research is the way to go.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:22 PM

Paralegal
Single
Nope.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:08 PM

-Occupation (If poker, please list stakes)
Software Developer
-Family? (GF/Wife . . kids)
Live w/GF of 5 years
-Would you say you're happy with where you are?
Sure, if I'm unhappy with something then I change it or get the hell out. I've always been like that.