Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes

Old 11-21-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Tricky flop spot with AK vs 2 opponents 10/20

MP is a long time regular in this game and supposed to be pretty good. He`s on the loose side preflop but nothing crazy. I decide to call to let SB in who is a huge calling station type fish. He won a big pot vs me earlier when he rivered a str8 after he peeled the flop and turn with a gutshot. He is 60/5/1 with 32% wts.
What does the TAGs c/r mean? He probably vies me as reasonably aggressive but I dont think he thinks I am gonna stab here super light given SBs tendencies. What are we doing now and what`s my plan for the rest of the hand?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $20 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

SB ($2101.96)
BB ($3516.50)
UTG ($1960)
MP ($1917)
CO ($7748)
Hero ($2477)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $70</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $70, SB calls $60, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($230) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $170</font>, SB calls $170, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $485</font>,
Old 11-21-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Tricky flop spot with AK vs 2 opponents 10/20

Weird spot, but with the protected pot with the fish I think it's a fold, he is unlikely to do this with a draw or any worse made hands.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:48 PM

I think this is a fold. He's probably not c/r-ing 2 players with a worse hand, but I could be wrong....
Old 11-21-2007, 03:15 PM

I could imagine that he checkraises the flop because he doesnīt give you a big hand and want to see a freecard. The only big hands are AJ/66 and i think you make a bigger bet on the Flop with this hands.
AJ/A6 is also unlikely because not good good enough and need protection.
But i donīt think that this is often the case so i make a tough laydown.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:28 PM

I think this is a relatively easy fold. Given your description of SB, chasing with any piece, MP just isn't check-raising worse here.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Weird spot, but with the protected pot with the fish I think it's a fold, he is unlikely to do this with a draw or any worse made hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think the exact opposite is the case but I could be wrong. I just don`t see him ever check a strong made hand given there are so many draws I would check behind with the calling station in.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:55 PM

If the MP is smart, he's doing this to harvest the overlay that may present itself when the cold calls. The problem now becomes, you either have to push or fold. Pushing obviously is exposing yourself to the sb's range as well. The best you can hope for is a weirdly played AQ, which I've never seen anyone play in this way, and why would they?

Fold.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think the exact opposite is the case but I could be wrong. I just don`t see him ever check a strong made hand given there are so many draws I would check behind with the calling station in.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo.

I would raise.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo.

I would raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i think QKss JsXs is way more in his range than a made hand.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:10 AM

my read is that there is a very good chance AK is good here. I think his most likely holdings are a pair of jacks and a flush draw or a gutshot and flush draw. If he flopped 2 pair or a set why would he check the flop in a 3 way pot on a semi-dangerous board with only a solid player left to act and a calling station yet to be given the opportunity to call?

I would think a good player would disguise the strength of their hand with a continuation style bet in this spot and try to build the pot instead of check raising their opponents off their medium/weak aces. I think its much more likely he's trying to take it down with a hand that needs improvement like JQ or KQ spades.