Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-19-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Is this a \"bad beat\" or just poor playing ?

Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 30/60 Blinds, 8 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

Hero (UTG): 3,620
UTG+1: 1,185
MP1: 2,030
MP2: 1,170
CO: 1,315
BTN: 690
SB: 8,570
BB: 1,305

Pre-Flop: (90) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to 120</font>, 5 folds, <font color="red">SB raises to 180</font>, BB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to 240</font>, SB calls 60

Flop: (540) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets 540</font>, Hero calls 540

Turn: (1,620) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets 1,620</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to 2,840 and is All-In</font>, SB calls 1,220

River: (7,300) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: 7,300 Pot
Hero showed 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (a full house, Sixes full of Aces) and LOST (-3,620 NET)
SB showed 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a full house, Aces full of Fives) and WON 7,300 (+3,680 NET)
Old 11-19-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Is this a \"bad beat\" or just poor playing ?

Preflop - don't minraise either time. Once he three-bets, just call. The raise to 240 is just being silly.

Flop - lets assume he is not bluffing. What hands are you beating when you call? You can't beat any pair aside from 22-44 and any ace just outflopped you. You are calling - either fold if you believe you are drawing to two outs, or move in now if you believe he can fold.

Turn - once you hit your miracle card, get the money in and after that its just luck.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:51 AM

I probably would have folded after he bet the flop, guessing he had A and high kicker after the preflop betting. After that I think you just got very unlucky against someone who wasn't likely to fold two pair.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:57 AM

1. You don't need to show the results, unless you put it in a font color that hides it. The results won't make a good play bad, or a bad play good.

2. You have a relatively large stack, and you got involved with the one player who could bust you. Unless you think the player is capable of semi-bluffing the pot with a heart draw on the flop, you're either way ahead or way behind. I wouldn't have called the pot-sized bet on the flop.

3. Turn bet - it's plausible that he could be playing with aces or fives, but it's understandably difficult to fold a full house, and the push to make him pay to see the last card is a good bet, since he's already signalled that he has a hand and will likely pay you off. At that point, it's just poor luck.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:09 PM

I can't understand why he chose to raise and call a reraise with A3
Old 11-19-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't understand why he chose to raise and call a reraise with A3

[/ QUOTE ]

1. He sucks.
2. Minraise.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:29 PM

Do you mean he saw a minraise in front and thought hero was trying it on?

He must have put Hero on a range which included an A where the kicker would have beaten 3. After the flop he beats to see where he is and gets called. I would have thought Hero had an A and probably better kicker and he still calls the reraise on the turn. All in all SB play was very bad and got very lucky (I think, but believe me I am no expert as my pokeroffice results prove [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 11-19-2007, 01:59 PM

What are you trying to accomplish with the min-raising? You should analyze your plays and make sure there's a reason for everything you do.

Flop, I would fold for a pot sized bet. If he min-reraised, there's a good chance he's super strong, and otherwise there's a strong chance he has either a pocket pair or an Ace, which leaves you way behind.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are you trying to accomplish with the min-raising? You should analyze your plays and make sure there's a reason for everything you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as I've only been (attempting to) play poker for a week, now while reading up on it at the same, time, I'm not quite ..ahem .. up to speed on the nuances of raising .... heck I'm not even out of neutral yet [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'm still just getting up to speed with reading the board [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

With 66, should I even be raising? ... or even playing the hand for that matter?

I've read different things some saying don't ever raise pre-flop unless you have AA, KK, AK, other things I've read have suggested if you're going to get into a pot, start with a raise to knock out anybody with marginal hands.

My "reasons" at the moment are a mixture of testing things that I've been reading, and a lot of guessing-hunches [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

That's why I've been only playing freerolls, though I might start trying the penny-stakes stuff ... after a few more thousand practice / freeroll hands [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mike
Old 11-19-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop - don't minraise either time. Once he three-bets, just call. The raise to 240 is just being silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I wrote in my other post, admittedly I have much to learn about how/when/what to bet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Flop - lets assume he is not bluffing. What hands are you beating when you call? You can't beat any pair aside from 22-44 and any ace just outflopped you. You are calling - either fold if you believe you are drawing to two outs, or move in now if you believe he can fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I only called as I thought 66 55, was a decent hand but not unbeatable, so was hesitant to go all in. The last few tourneys I played in I've been (a bit) more aggressive and have had some improved results.

Mike