Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-10-2007, 03:46 AM

Default Re: Appetizers that don\'t show up before your food

[ QUOTE ]
Man, we are the luckiest people in the world. Not only do we have an abundance of food, we get to be picky about the order it comes in. I think sending it back is wasteful.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT
Old 11-10-2007, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This exact situation happened to me recently at the new Council Oak Steakhouse in the Tampa Hard Rock. I sat by myself in the lounge as I could smoke there and the main room was full. So I ordered a french onion soup and a New York strip. I was starving and was wondering what was taking so long with the soup, when the waitress finally showed up with the soup and the steak. I was pretty shocked, but was too hungry to bitch about it. Had this happened while I was dining with other folks I probably would have said something, but due to my overwhelming hunger, I just sucked it up and ate both.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a much more difficult situation because onion soup isnīt as easy to eat simultaneously with a steak.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is a much more difficult situation because onion soup isnīt as easy to eat simultaneously with a steak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Now you're on a clock to eat both while they're hot. This time I would probably send the soup back and tell 'em i don't want it anymore.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:21 AM

id post about it in the worst forum ever, ldo
Old 11-10-2007, 10:13 AM

i just eat it all without really seeing a problem
Old 11-10-2007, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Situation 1:

You are at a steakhouse for dinner with a friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit lying!

[ QUOTE ]

Situation 2:

You are eating lunch at a Japanese restaurant with a date who you've been out with several times before.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're crazy, man!

[ QUOTE ]

Situation 3:

You are at a middle eastern cafe by yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Much better.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This exact situation happened to me recently at the new Council Oak Steakhouse in the Tampa Hard Rock. I sat by myself in the lounge as I could smoke there and the main room was full. So I ordered a french onion soup and a New York strip. I was starving and was wondering what was taking so long with the soup, when the waitress finally showed up with the soup and the steak. I was pretty shocked, but was too hungry to bitch about it. Had this happened while I was dining with other folks I probably would have said something, but due to my overwhelming hunger, I just sucked it up and ate both.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume the salad was delayed because somebody didn't get to setting it up on the plate.
But maybe they have pre-prepared salads in which case it's kind of inexcuseable. I don't know.

But with the soup, I'm pretty sure they don't have to make it right then and there. You have a big container of soup. You pour some in a bowl.
There's really no reason why they shouldn't be able to bring it out first.

When something like this happens I assume that the soup was either already sitting up there and the server was lazy and forgot to bring it out in advance. Or they just didn't think to pour it in advance or something and then only noticed that soup was ordered also once they got the steak ready.

Thinking about how long it takes to pour a cup of soup compared with how long it takes to prepare a steak leaves me thinking it's fairly inexcuseable to bring them both out at the same time. It should be incredibly easy to bring the soup out right-away.
And any restaurant that screws this up and somehow does NOT realize that people want their soup right away don't know what they're doing at all.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:32 PM

No lie MicroBob. I was seriously astonished, this is they type I expect at a national chain like Friday's or Chili's with some new trainee server. Now given, the restaurant is newly opened, but if you're going to try to parade yourself as a top quality steakhouse, there's really no excuse for that kind of service, ignorance or incompetence. I'm sure had I told a manager, they would have been shocked, but sometimes, it's just not worth it to complain.

BTW for all of you tip crazy OOTers, I still tipped %20, but I typically tip 25%+.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:34 PM

and P.S. Bob, this was likely entirely the server's fault. It's French onion soup, which was served hot with the chese melted on top. So I'm assuming through ignorance she just rang them in to come at the same time. Had it been sitting in a window, I doubt the cheese would have stayed melted.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:53 PM

Runkmud,
I would do the same thing because French onion soup is so delicious I couldn't send it back.