Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Things in news stories that bug you

[ QUOTE ]
Here is something that just bugged me after I saw it:

"Cop drops slippy puddle lawsuit"

First off, a police officer suing someone for slipping in a puddle?

And secondly, is it slippy or slippery? Slippy sounds so corny and lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's a good one too.
Read the original story here

Serve and protect, lol.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is something that just bugged me after I saw it:

"Cop drops slippy puddle lawsuit"

First off, a police officer suing someone for slipping in a puddle?

And secondly, is it slippy or slippery? Slippy sounds so corny and lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's a good one too.
Read the original story here

Serve and protect, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

"The child, Joey Cosmillo, fell into the family pool in January. He was resuscitated but suffered brain damage and can't walk, talk or swallow. He lives in a nursing home and eats and breathes through tubes."

"Police Sgt. Andrea Eichhorn alleges the boy's family left a puddle of water on the floor, causing her fall during the rescue effort. She broke her knee and missed two months of work."

"It's a situation where the Cosmillos have caused these problems, brought them on themselves, then tried to play the victim," Heil[the officer's lawyer] said."

Maximum insensitivity possible?
Old 10-12-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NS,

Excellent post, thanks. Now if you can find some stuff that explains how the f the manager got a verdict for $1M!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The short version is that they were convicted of a crime (and fired) and they convinced the jury that had McDonalds not hidden the evidence that this had happened over and over in other stores, they would not have been convicted or fired. I do agree with you that this was a much weaker case. Had it been a separate trial, they would likely have lost -- I think they benefited from the pairing of the two cases together.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Disclaimer: I don't necessarily intend to support or not-support Bill O'Reilly with this post.

The recent ridiculous news stories that have accused O'Reilly of calling soldiers that disagree with the war in Iraq "phony soldiers" has seriously made me tilt harder than anything ever.

It seems like seriously none of these media sources gives ONE FLYING F*** about what he actually said, because it makes a better story to just report what they wish he had said. It's ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're confusing two things. Rush Limbaugh is the one being attacked for saying the "phony soldiers" comment. Bill O'Reilly defended him.

Bill O'Reilly was being attacked for a different comment about black patrons in a black restaurant that was taken out of context, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, he is not confusing anything. Limbaugh called a rash of people who posed as soldiers (officiating weddings etc), as phony soldiers, the media took it out of context, O reilly defended Rush saying basically - wtf do you want, there are people running around that have never been in the military and are claiming they are, rush said nothing wrong in saying they are phony soldiers - the left wing media doesnt know how to read/listen and just completely spun everything saying that they were calling all soldiers etc phony.

On a seperate issue, O reilly went to some sould food restuarant up in new york, and said something a long the lines of "there was no MFing, no thugs, etc". Depending on how you take it, it was somewhat racist, but I heard the clip and it was more of a satire type comment than anything imo, ie if went to a chinese restaurant and said "weird, there was no ching chongy types, or panties in vending machines..who woulda thunk that these stereotypes arent true"
Old 10-13-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2005Mar7.html

This story is really pissing me off, 50 something mexicans on death row, are going to be wasting more of our tax dollars because of a BS international law.

[/ QUOTE ]

guids,

The US was a primary backer of this treaty back in the 60s since so many international travelers were Americans and at risk of being railroaded if arrested.

So far, the US court system has set aside the ruling from the international court. The appeal to the Supreme Court is the final stop.

Also, the Bush administration is actually supporting Medellin, not because it necessarily cares about him, but because they think they are defending powers of the executive branch.

If anything, this is a really interesting case of where treaties fit into US law, and what discretion the executive branch has to enforce the supremacy of those treaties over US law.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:22 PM

I live in Orlando and that lawsuit story has made the front page for a couple days....lol@ her being an undercover hooker. Shame she didn't break her neck.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Disclaimer: I don't necessarily intend to support or not-support Bill O'Reilly with this post.

The recent ridiculous news stories that have accused O'Reilly of calling soldiers that disagree with the war in Iraq "phony soldiers" has seriously made me tilt harder than anything ever.

It seems like seriously none of these media sources gives ONE FLYING F*** about what he actually said, because it makes a better story to just report what they wish he had said. It's ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're confusing two things. Rush Limbaugh is the one being attacked for saying the "phony soldiers" comment. Bill O'Reilly defended him.

Bill O'Reilly was being attacked for a different comment about black patrons in a black restaurant that was taken out of context, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, he is not confusing anything. Limbaugh called a rash of people who posed as soldiers (officiating weddings etc), as phony soldiers, the media took it out of context, O reilly defended Rush saying basically - wtf do you want, there are people running around that have never been in the military and are claiming they are, rush said nothing wrong in saying they are phony soldiers - the left wing media doesnt know how to read/listen and just completely spun everything saying that they were calling all soldiers etc phony.

On a seperate issue, O reilly went to some sould food restuarant up in new york, and said something a long the lines of "there was no MFing, no thugs, etc". Depending on how you take it, it was somewhat racist, but I heard the clip and it was more of a satire type comment than anything imo, ie if went to a chinese restaurant and said "weird, there was no ching chongy types, or panties in vending machines..who woulda thunk that these stereotypes arent true"

[/ QUOTE ]

Guids,

Please reread my post. That's pretty much what I said, except, yes, he IS confusing the two issues.