Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2006, 04:35 PM

Default Can science offer moral philosophy?

In Scientific American October issue 2006 page 3:
[ QUOTE ]
Scientific research delas in what is measurable and definable; it cannot begin to study what might lie beyond the physical realm or to offer a comprehensive moral philosophy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first sentence is obviously correct but what would lie beyond the physical realm? To me everything lies within the physical realm, if something would come up (witches with magical power for instance), then this would be incorporated into science (I don't see exactly how in that case but still).
This is however somewhat besides the point. My question (see title) is about the last statement. If a society sets up clear-cut goals, would it not be possible for a theory of humans to come up with an optimal moral philosophy?

Reasonable goals could be:
Everybody should feel safe.
Everybody should be able to have an interesting job.
etc.

This is of course not a complete list but you get the point. So, is it possible? If not, why?

I understand this might disturb religious readers, but please do not reply. Keep this thread non-religious, only science comments please!