Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Great film

Thanks for the explanation. From what I remember in the movie, it almost looked like Anton was scared or nervous waiting in the room.

I certainly didn't expect him to leave, once he's had his gun drawn and aimed. It seems out of character at that point.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the explanation. From what I remember in the movie, it almost looked like Anton was scared or nervous waiting in the room.

I certainly didn't expect him to leave, once he's had his gun drawn and aimed. It seems out of character at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I didn't really get that either. It certainly would've been easy for Anton to kill the sheriff, and he didn't seem to have any qualms about killing people.

The only thing I can think is that maybe killing Jones unnecessarily would've violated his principles in some way, kind of like in Silence of the Lambs when Clarice says Lecter won't come after her because he'd "consider it to be rude." Anton kills the wife for no reason, and potentially at great risk to himself, just because his principles demanded it. Jones had done nothing to him, so maybe killing him would have been rude.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I didn't really get that either. It certainly would've been easy for Anton to kill the sheriff, and he didn't seem to have any qualms about killing people.

The only thing I can think is that maybe killing Jones unnecessarily would've violated his principles in some way, kind of like in Silence of the Lambs when Clarice says Lecter won't come after her because he'd "consider it to be rude." Anton kills the wife for no reason, and potentially at great risk to himself, just because his principles demanded it. Jones had done nothing to him, so maybe killing him would have been rude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was basically trying to say that Anton is basically like a ghost.

I think that if he had still been in the room when Jones sat down he would have killed him but he was gone by then
Old 11-13-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was basically trying to say that Anton is basically like a ghost.

I think that if he had still been in the room when Jones sat down he would have killed him but he was gone by then

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my take too. there really wasn't anywhere to hide in the room, but he disappears anyway. he won't be found if he doesn't want to be. the book is different. chigurh isn't in the room. he sees the sheriff enter the room from his truck in the parking lot and then pulls a disappearing act.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:33 AM

He hid behind the door that had swung open, and the door was never shown to be closed, so either he was there as long as Jones was there, he left while Jones had his back turned, or he was truly a ghost who could sneak out at will (that is, get out of the room w/out Jones noticing in the time it took Jones to get inside).

But I don't think he was really ghost-like, because Moss was able to detect him beforehand, as well as get the jump on him in the street. On a related subject, one of the things that interests me most and is never revealed is how/why they caught Chigurh at the beginning. That's the type of thing that always fascinates me about these stories.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He hid behind the door that had swung open, and the door was never shown to be closed, so either he was there as long as Jones was there, he left while Jones had his back turned, or he was truly a ghost who could sneak out at will (that is, get out of the room w/out Jones noticing in the time it took Jones to get inside).

But I don't think he was really ghost-like, because Moss was able to detect him beforehand, as well as get the jump on him in the street. On a related subject, one of the things that interests me most and is never revealed is how/why they caught Chigurh at the beginning. That's the type of thing that always fascinates me about these stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is explained somewhat in the book. Spoiler here... <font color="white"> At some point in the book Chigurh explains that he did something odd. He was at a restaurant or diner and a few young men disrespected him. Normally, he would have always killed them. This time he decided he would let them go. However, when he is leaving the restaurant, they confront him again and he kills at least one of them. I forget the exact details. He is pulled over by a cop shorty afterwards and he lets the cop arrest him. He says that he wanted to see if he could get away. He was testing himself I suppose </font>
Old 11-14-2007, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is explained somewhat in the book. Spoiler here... <font color="white"> At some point in the book Chigurh explains that he did something odd. He was at a restaurant or diner and a few young men disrespected him. Normally, he would have always killed them. This time he decided he would let them go. However, when he is leaving the restaurant, they confront him again and he kills at least one of them. I forget the exact details. He is pulled over by a cop shorty afterwards and he lets the cop arrest him. He says that he wanted to see if he could get away. He was testing himself I suppose </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, I'd completely forgotten about that. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're being too literal - Anton hiding behind the door is simply the Sheriff's projection of what COULD BE beyond the door and waiting for him. It's the Sheriff's own fear - an illusion.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:26 PM

hyachachaa I have to wait another week before this comes near me
Old 11-17-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Re: No Country For Old Men

I really liked this...however, I have long realized that my love for the Cohen Bros. movies is mostly because of their humor, story-telling ability and their exquisite craft. None of their movies ever really "moves" me beyond, "wow, that was a cool movie."

Their phenomenal filmmakers and I'm a huge fan. T But like Tarantino, it seems most of their movies are about other movies or movie making in general. nothing wrong with that, I guess, but it does leave me with a feeling that something's emotionally missing after I see one of their films.

No Country is great. I enjoyed it immensely. I loved the very bold choice of not having any music at all. The dialogue was so rich and perfect it created all the music needed.

Brolin, Bardem and Jones were all terrific. I actually liked Harrelson's role in this. And I've always had a crush on McDonald. It was cool seeing Barry Corbin and Stephen Root, too. really, Brolin was a revelation. Who knew he was so good?

I really liked Jones's last scene, too. Very moving.

But for some reason, it's not quite Once, Michael Clayton or Gone Baby Gone. Those three are still the best films of the year for me so, so far. I liked Zodiac and Breach a lot, but they aren't quite great films for me.