Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: iPhone vs iPod Touch: What say you EDF?

Gotta go with the IPhone especially since it dropped $200 on it's price tag recently.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the iPhone's interface but lack of decent speeds (EDGE sucks right now and even when they roll out faster speeds it still won't be available on current-gen iPhones) is holding me back. Hoping to see what goes down with the European iPhone release and if it'll work on US carriers (or be hackable to work on US carriers).

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true? I thought that since the iPhone runs on an OS, any updates would be downloaded right into the phone from iTunes.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:46 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Apple isnt allowing it on the ipone or itouch, Helio will and will take them over

[/ QUOTE ]

This is by far the most retarded statement in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed

also rumors are that when leopard comes out apple will release the sdk or whatever for 3rd party apps.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the iPhone's interface but lack of decent speeds (EDGE sucks right now and even when they roll out faster speeds it still won't be available on current-gen iPhones) is holding me back. Hoping to see what goes down with the European iPhone release and if it'll work on US carriers (or be hackable to work on US carriers).

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true? I thought that since the iPhone runs on an OS, any updates would be downloaded right into the phone from iTunes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still need to have the correct hardware inside the phone to do 3G. Lots of stuff can be added via software updates but 3G will not be one of them.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:46 PM

I might be that I just don't understand the technology, but won't the internet aspects of the iTouch be severely less beneficial than the iPhone's due to connectivity? Again, I just might not understand something, but doesn't the iPhone connect through two ways: 1) wifi 2) through ATT's network? Without the network connection option, it seems like the need to be a in a place with wifi/free wifi severely limits the iTouch's coolness.

Aside from that, the size limitation will stop me from getting the iTouch. I have a 5-year old 15gb, and while it works fine, I plan on upgrading because I have about 40gb of music, and want it all on there. I'm sure it sounds stupid to some, but I'm the type of person whose listening preferences vary, and want to have everything accessible. Especially if the internet thing is an issue, I'll be upgrading to a 80gb "classic" for relative pennies.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:14 PM

Hey Porter -
Everything you said is spot on
Old 09-10-2007, 10:25 PM

I've been rethinking my stance. I absolutely will not get an iPhone, because an all-in-one device has no appeal to me. As I said earlier, I am stuck with a PDA phone for work and want to get a small phone for personal use.

My music library is currently at 140gb and I have about 200 cd's I am in the process of ripping, but I really don't need it all available at once. I was reading some of the early reviews of the 160gb Classic on the Apple forums, and there seems to be a major issue with scrolling speed that may be related to the new graphical interface, but may just be a problem of that huge a hard drive.

My old 15gb iPod is pretty much permanently in my car and I haven't changed the music on it in a really long time. A 16 gb iTouch might be really nice to carry around. Since it won't be stuck in my car, I'll be much more likely to refresh the contents often.

As for the web issues, I really don't need the ability to surf the web wirelessly. I rarely use the internet on my PDA, so I won't miss out on much.

I still think I'd like to hold out for 32gb, (or at least until the product is delivered and I can see what problems there are with the first model) but I certainly wouldn't mind if one magically appeared during the holidays.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:42 PM

Hopefully 32GB SSHDs will come down in price so the next gen of iPhones and Touches can use them and not be $600+ each.

I don't think the point of the Touch is to be a wireless internet browser. It's to be a great personal media player that you can use in wifi hot spots to buy music if you want. The strength of the device isn't in browsing the web, although on the iPhone it is very nice when I'm on a wifi network.

If the Touch is as nice to use as my iPhone, sounds as good, and looks as good it will be a great media player. I've listened to my iPhone through the same speakers as a 5G iPod and played the same audio book and the iPhone sounded much much better, but it is what it is; a small media player. If you want everything you own in one place this isn't going to be the device for you.