<font color="#0000ff">10/11</font>

Squat: 3x5x88
Press: 3x5x66
Pen.Rows: 3x5x110

<font color="#0000ff">10/14</font>

Squat: 3x5x88
Bench: 3x5x99
Deads: 1x5x176

I had some bad fish for lunch on wednesday which resulted in frequent trips to the toilet. I felt dehydrated and had stomach cramps so I decided to postpone the workout one day.

Then on saturday I was hung over and didn't feel like hauling ass to the gym before it closed.

So now I have a small dilemma. My partner can't make it on tuesday and thursday, so I need to either do the whole week solo or skip a rest day to get in synch.

I tweaked my lower back a little when I was doing the deadlifts. There was a felt a small sting when I was lowering the weight on the last rep and it's a bit sore tonight but nothing bad. I was also going to start ramping the weight this week, so a days rest is probably a good idea but I'll probably just say [censored] it and work out tomorrow regardless.

Btw, I got a nice little boost today as I was working out. A woman that's a regular at my gym (she's a lifter) commented on how she had noticed I was getting more cut in the last couple of months [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Wolfram\'s \"Starting Strength\" Log

<font color="#0000ff">10/16</font>

Squat: 3x5x99
Mil.Press: 3x5x72
Pen.Rows: 1x5x116

My partner was able to switch up his schedule so I got in a days rest on Monday which was good 'cause my lower back was a little sore. I took some anti-inflammatory meds (Voltaren Rapid) and it felt much better.

The workout went great, I had no problem with the increased weight and can't wait to add more.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:35 AM

<font color="#0000ff">10/18</font>

Squat: 3x5x110
Bench: 3x5x105
Deads: 1x5x198

My buddy hurt his forearm doing military presses in a f-ed up way (I wasn't there) so I am spotter-less for a while.
The soreness in my left groin has returned. I hope it won't be a problem. It's usually fine the day after.

I'm adding 2.5kg (5.5lbs) on the light exercises, 5kg (11lbs) on the squat and 10kg (22lbs) on the deadlift. Deadlifting 100kg next week will be fun. First time I'll lift a triple digit number (in kg's)
Old 10-19-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The soreness in my left groin has returned. I hope it won't be a problem. It's usually fine the day after.

[/ QUOTE ]
Consider taking some time off of leg exercises (bent over rows, deadlift, squat). I hear that's a muscle that doesn't recover well.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:41 AM

<font color="#0000ff">10/20</font>

Squat: 3x5x121
Mil.Press: 3x5x77
Pen.Row: 1x5x121

The weight is starting to get challenging now. I find that when I start struggling with the squat I have a tendency to shift my weight from my heels to my toes to finish the lift. It's like I have more power on my toes or maybe I'm shifting the weight of the bar forward to employ the back more, I dunno.

And finally the dam broke. I injured my lower back during the pendlay rows. The weight was pretty heavy and I might have rounded my back during one of the reps or something. I'll probably have to cut out exercises involving the back for a while (deads and rows, not sure if I should cut out squats).

How long can I expect to be out for with a bad back like this? I'm gonna pop anti-inflammation meds like candy but should I add physical therapy as well?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:07 AM

Don't be afraid to take time off. I know you have a lot of motivation right now, and it sucks to get sidelined, but if you plan on weightlifting for a reasonably long time you should expect injuries along the way. You might be able to work through some injuries but I think anything major like lower back should be approached with more caution. Take a week off and see how you feel. We will bump your thread and make you feel shame if you abandon your workout program entirely.

Also, what exactly hurts your back?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be afraid to take time off. I know you have a lot of motivation right now, and it sucks to get sidelined, but if you plan on weightlifting for a reasonably long time you should expect injuries along the way. You might be able to work through some injuries but I think anything major like lower back should be approached with more caution. Take a week off and see how you feel. We will bump your thread and make you feel shame if you abandon your workout program entirely.

Also, what exactly hurts your back?

[/ QUOTE ]
I just stood up from my desk now and tried bending over at the waist and that hurt. After a few tries it didn't hurt as much. I did some air squats and they didn't hurt until at the very bottom when the back starts rounding off a little bit. It gets pretty stiff after I sit for a while.

You think I should stop working out completely? I was planning to do bench presses tonight, see if I could do any squats (doubtful) and then do some auxiliaries like pullups or curls.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:06 AM

Hopefully you just tweaked something and in a few days your back should be better. Sounds like your form was off and caused this problem, maybe lifting with your lower back. Your row is really high in comparison to you other lifts, perhaps this is a sign that your form is not perfect. In the off time study the lift, watch as many videos as you can, in another log I posted a link with some good videos.

Your squat has really improved in the last couple of weeks. You improved so much you have probably stalled. I would keep the weight steady and concentrate on form for another week or until you can manage the lift without leaning. Or if you need to deload and attack the plateau.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 AM

wolf, im in the same boat w/ an injured lowered back. i suspect i did it doing squats. i go pretty low on my squats but two days ago i squated waaaay down (w/ slightly less than i usually do). by the end of my workout i could feel my back tensing up.

yesterday i had a lot of problems doing daily physical activities. unfortunately i was working outside w/ a powerwasher which required a lot of bending and lifting. i popped a vicoden to get through the day.

the workout i injured myself doing i intentionally went heavy on to make up because i missed the day before. now working hard as a makeup is going to cost me more time away from the gym due to my injury.

to those who know, assuming i injured my back doing squats was more likely the result of too much weight or poor form?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:51 AM

bwana, I'm confused by in the beginning you say you did less in order to go deeper, and later you said you went particularly heavy.

In any case, form is obv important, and bad form a potential source of injury. If you want to change the way you are squatting, better to dial it way back and advance slowly then to try this new style at a heavy weight. It is conceivable that you developed a butt wink trying to get greater depth-- but that is kind of a shot in the dark.

I also think: Don't worry so much about missing workouts. There's no competition you are getting prepped for, right? It's health for life and you plan to be around a while, right? Get healthy first and, you won't be taking a huge step backwards. Consider it an inexpensive reminder of your mortality.