Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Hong Kong

Looking for any good advice on Hong Kong, what to see and do, etc. Anything you want to throw out there will be fine. The one specific question I have is the location of any good bookstores, the bigger the selection the better. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Hong Kong

Only spent a week there a few years ago.

The things I remembr are:[*]Excellent tailors (still get my suits made from a little Indian tailor shop in Kowloon)[*]Most massage parlors are "sexytime" places vice "proper massage." So if you are looking for a proper massage make sure to get a reccomendation/do some research. That said, once I did find a proper massage place, I got the best one hour massage ever (including all the awesome Thai Massages I've gotten here) for something crazy like $15US. It also included steam room, hot tub, cold tub, and sauna.[*]If staying/visiting for more than just a few days, the hydrofoil/speedboat trip over to Macau is well worth it.[*]A night at the horse track is also quite a bit of fun.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:06 PM

My favorite thing about HK is just to walk around in wonder. It's a hugely dense city that feels bigger than NYC to walk around in.

Going to the Po Lin Monastery is crucial, and the History Museum is interesting. You should stroll through the various markets (although I was not impressed by the large tourist-oriented market in Kowloon). If you like hiking you can do plenty--Hong Kong island has some of its own hiking, but I imagine you could do better on Lantau (where the aformentioned monstery is) is on the mainland (much of HK is actually a nature preserve). It gets rural very fast once you get out of the cities and into the hills. Taking a trip to Macau is very worth it, but beware: I don't think there's any poker...at least there wasn't last summer.

If I could plan it again, I would go during the winter/NOT monsoon season. It rains very often during the summer, and a 'nice' day is overcast with 95 deg with 95% humidity.

I don't know about bookstores.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:41 PM

book stores will be way over priced compared to amazon.

if you go to mongkok, there is the BEST place to eat in hong kong on Soy Street. Its called 'Happy' and you will see their menu on a little stand with a picture of noodles and chicken wings. Go inside and order this dish. Its really really good. Its been the high point on all my trips to Hong Kong.

Hong Kong is mostly about the street atmosphere. Just walk around and try to eat alot of local food. Go to Mongkok for shopping. Its a fun, although chaotic place to hang out.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:46 AM

-Take the Star Ferry across the bay. It costs about 30 cents (U.S.). Best deal in the world with great views of the most spectacular skyline in the world. Make sure to visit Chinese Arts & Crafts, on the Kowloon side just across the street from the ferry pier.

-Go up to the peak at sunset for dinner. Eat at the Cafe Deco, ask for a table by the window (reserve in advance). Don't expect great food, but the view is unsurpassable. Take a taxi up there and back, the tram line will be too long both ways.

-In Kowloon, walk up Nathan Road and wander down the side streets of Tsim Sha Tsui. Go up to Aqua for a drink at their cool bar; don't eat there though, despite what looks like an exciting Japanese and Italian menu.

-North of Tsim Sha Tsui is Yau Ma Tei; set your watch back a hundred years and go to the jade market.

-On the Hong Kong side, go to Causeway Bay and walk among the biggest crowds you'll see anywhere. The food floor at Sogo Department store is fun, as is just wandering around the streets.

-Book stores: There's a great one in Pacific Place, I think it's called Kelly and Walsh. Adjacent to Pacific Place is Hong Kong Park, very nice and relaxing with lots to do, with great views of The Bank of China Building, and you're close to Hollywoood Road and the yuppified SoHo (South of Hollywood Road) area. Swindon Books, on Lock Road in Kowloon, has a great selection of books on Hong Kong, China, and Asia. There's another branch in Harbour City, but it's not as good. The art museum in Kowloon (right near the ferry pier) has a good selection of books about anything Chinese and arty; you can go into the bookstore without paying admission to the museum, although the museum is worthwhile.

I just got back last week. It was brutally hot and humid. Youg bringing the kids? Feel free to PM me if you like.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:55 AM

Great reply Andy.

Also if you walk pretty much straight up from the Star Ferry terminal on the Hong Kong side you should run into an area with antique shops. Sorry, I don't know the name of the street. Your concierge may be able to tell you.

Also, I've heard rumors you should go to the men's bathroom at the bar on the top floor of the Penninsula.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:12 AM

If u like good hash, there is section in Kowloon where Indians and Nigerians will approach you and ask u, they might stiff u on the quantity since ur a foreigner but u should be alright.

Also for drinking check out a night in LKF, cool area in Causeway Bay full of outside type bars...

Have fun. Asian women are great, and plenty of Filipinos in Hong kong, if Chinese girls dont do it for u...
Old 07-26-2007, 09:48 PM

Hollywood Road is the street with all the antique stores. There's also Cat St. (which I think might be a nickname, don't know what the formal name of the street is) with funky shops.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hollywood Road is the street with all the antique stores. There's also Cat St. (which I think might be a nickname, don't know what the formal name of the street is) with funky shops.

[/ QUOTE ]Cat Street is Upper Lascow Row but it's not hard to find. This whole area is interesting to walk around in, with lots of tiny temples and such. If you're in the Hollywood Rd/Cat Street area, go to the Man Mo temple as well. It's definitely worth a peek.