Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 12:52 PM

Default limpers and raise sizing

I need some help with how I handle limpers. I play a fairly standard TAG game (21/12) but I started thinking tonight that I don’t take limpers into account at all when I decide to raise a pot. For example, let’s say I have QJ on the BTN or the CO and its limped/folded to me. I normally raise in this position (standard 4xBB +1) but my question is, “should I be playing this differently based on the # of limpers?” Put another way, should I still be raising 4BB+1 with a hand like QJ even if I have 3 limpers in front of me? What if I have a low SC? Should I just call with marginal hands like this when so many people have limped? Do you change your starting hand requirments when so many people want to see the flop? Thanks.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: limpers and raise sizing

with a hand like qj, and many limpers I would just call in late pos. You are getting great implied odds and there are not alot of flops that you will really be ready to go to the felt with. If you flop top pair with either the j or the q you will easily be outkicked, if you flop 2 pair, there is prob a straight draw out against you. I would just call with the great implied odds and be ready to muck most of the time on the flop.

With strong hands however, the general rule is to add 1 bb for each limper to whatever your standard raise is in your situation. So if your standard raise is 3.5 times bb and you have 2 limpers then go 5.5 times bb. Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:09 PM

Full Ring or 6 max? Either way read this:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1
Old 01-29-2007, 01:15 PM

As with all rules, this rule needs to be applied in the right situations. For instance, if I'm in 10NL and holding AA PF and there are 2 limpers I don't want to raise .50 (3-4BB+2) because that will probably push everyone out. They'll know what I have.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:26 PM

I should clarify my question. If I'm raising in these situations, I am raising 4BB+1 no matter what (I guess my post title was misleading). I guess my real questions is whether or not my hand raising requirements need to tighten up the more limpers there are in front of me.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As with all rules, this rule needs to be applied in the right situations. For instance, if I'm in 10NL and holding AA PF and there are 2 limpers I don't want to raise .50 (3-4BB+2) because that will probably push everyone out. They'll know what I have.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were two limpers at 10NL and I had AA I'd raise to 60c every time, sometimes they fold but they call a lot. If I was going to adjust how much I raised aces PF at 10NL I'd raise more not less because a lot of donks love to see the flop.

They won't know what I have because I raise two limpers with a wide range of hands.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should clarify my question. If I'm raising in these situations, I am raising 4BB+1 no matter what (I guess my post title was misleading). I guess my real questions is whether or not my hand raising requirements need to tighten up the more limpers there are in front of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you raise the same (4BB+1) with all of your hands, villains will not have any indication of what hand you have. I bet AA the same way I bet 86o.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you raise the same (4BB+1) with all of your hands, villains will not have any indication of what hand you have. I bet AA the same way I bet 86o.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree with that but I don't like betting 60 cents with a pair of sixes or whatever just because 2 people limped in so I bet 3-4BB everytime regardless of how many people come in. That way I don't fold everyone with my good hands and I don't blow a bunch of PF money with marginal hands.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:27 PM

You offer people great implied odds tho. And it generally won't fold limpers.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:59 PM

I completely agree that the size of my raise shouldn’t differ whether I hold AA or 72, but I am trying to figure out if the # of limpers who precede me into the pot should affect the range of hands that I am willing to raise with. In other words, are there hands that you would normally raise with but limp or fold instead because of the number of limpers ahead of you? QJ is a hand I would normally raise if it is folded to me on the button. I want to know if you would still raise it if you have 3 people limp ahead of you. How about SC’s? Do you still make a standard raise of 4BB+1BB for each limper? I am not questioning how much to raise, but whether or not we play the hand fundamentally different based on the number of limpers.