Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 03:56 AM

Default Question about table selection (more specifically pokerstars 10/20 6m)

It seems like the 10/20 on stars is always filled with regulars. Do you guys find it profitable to play a table with 2 regulars and 2 or 3 unknowns? I've generally been avoiding any table with 2 or more regulars, but I've found by sticking to this rule that I often won't have any tables to play. That's not the end of the world because I play other games and other sites, but the 10/20 is my main game and I'm just wondering if I'm being too wussy. I'm not really afraid of playing the regulars, it's just that my thinking is that I'm probably not better than them since if I was I'd probably be playing higher, so why not wait for worse opponents to pop up? But then I think if I'm always avoiding good players, I might make more money right now, but my game will never improve to the point where I can move up in limits and make alot more money... I know most of you guys are thinking "Just play pu**y!" but thanks for reading
Old 09-11-2007, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Question about table selection (more specifically pokerstars 10/20 6m)

if you are a regular, remember that they are probably equally afraid of you.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Question about table selection (more specifically pokerstars 10/20 6m)

I don't think there is a single 10-20 player that I avoid. Just cause they are regulars doesn't mean they are any good
Old 09-11-2007, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Question about table selection (more specifically pokerstars 10/20

I rarely leave a table at 10/20. only if its all regulars. Even then, on most of the regulars I have notes that indicate they are not expert. Other regs likely have similar notes on me so whatever.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:31 AM

i disagree with most of the responses, although they may equally be afraid of you any edge is generally so small that rake is the winner. At stars you have plenty of options and table selection is huge. Having said that I play mostly at AP where we always have 4 regulars at any given table.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there is a single 10-20 player that I avoid. Just cause they are regulars doesn't mean they are any good

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the attitude that the stars regulars have that make that game so beatable.

juice i have no idea who you are and i'm 99% certain you're not one of the guys i'm talking about - you just made a very quotable statement.

Table selection is fine if you're trying to win. If there is a better seat, you are making a mistake by not taking it. If the games that are going are all terrible, you can play a little higher or a little lower. But as far as I can tell in the time i've been playing again - you can always find a few good games. If not, hell, it's a great time to start learning NL (when there are no good limit games).
Old 09-11-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But then I think if I'm always avoiding good players, I might make more money right now, but my game will never improve to the point where I can move up in limits and make alot more money...

[/ QUOTE ]

In general I avoid good players and I play in juicy games only. I agree with you that it will be hard for me to improve my peronal game if I never play against better players, but thats when you have to ask yourself what youre trying to accomplish. I just want the money. Im not trying to be the best limit player in the world. So what do you want? The money? Or the glory?

I'd also would like to point out that if you play on juicy tables only you can still move up pretty high. The drawback is, you will be moving up at a slower rate since you wont be getting a relatively high volume of hands, but you will have a lot more fun in the process since you will always be playing with a strong edge. Theres juicy tables all the way up to the highest limits. However the problem is, as you move up higher and higher, the games where you have a strong edge are less frequent but they still happen, so now it becomes a patience game. As youre looking for a weak game at such and such level you simply grind it out at some lower level where the weak games are relatively frequent.

This is how I approach poker and I have been very happy with my results. I also still beleive you can improve your game despite playing mostly weaker players. What you have to do is study the game constantly when your away from the tables, like reading this site, or running various scenarios/hypotheticals in your head of every situation you can imagine.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:18 PM

I would spend more time on seat selection against regulars. Put three regulars to my right and I'll play all day - to my left and I'll leave.

YT
Old 09-11-2007, 01:10 PM

Hmm if u play stars u have probably played a ton vs me. I typically 6 table 10-20 6max. screen name is juuuiice. thought it would be obvious given that my 2+2 sn contains 8/13ths of my pokerstars screen name [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] . Also I am 100X better than anyone else playing 10-20 so I am guessing against even the toughest regular, I still have a distinct edge
Old 09-11-2007, 01:18 PM

So much for humility... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]