Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2006, 05:15 PM

Default So i dropped out of school today...

I’m thinking this is the right forum for this, but I don’t really know.

It is something that I have been considering for a while now. A lot of you probably saw my pooh-bah post in small stakes where I said that I was seriously considering not returning for this semester.

Basically, I have zero interest in school or any of my classes and feel like I am wasting my time here. This may or may not be permanent, but I feel it is best for right now.

Over the past few months, I have made far more money than I would imagine a college degree could get me and I really don’t have the motivation to do school work and get decent grades.

If I ever plan on going back, I think I would be better off without a terrible transcript, so I think just dropping my classes for right now is in my best interest.

So, anyway, today is officially the first day in my professional gambling career. I plan to use a lot of my newly acquired free time to study the game and improve. I think I still have a lot of leaks to fix. Some time, after I am done with my taxes and all that [censored], I will probably look into training with stox or something.

I guess that’s all I can really think to say right now. Ill keep you updated and let you know when I go BUSTO or whatever.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:23 PM

Default Re: So i dropped out of school today...

good luck on your venture.

Just curious... who paid your tuition? Was this refunded in any way?

I always wonder when someone drops out of school to "try" poker, are the parents the ones footing the bill for tuition?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:26 PM

thanks,

i am paying my dad back for what he has spent on my tuition

i am also getting half of this semester's tuition refunded to me from the school
Old 02-27-2006, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks,

i am also getting half of this semester's tuition refunded to me from the school

[/ QUOTE ]

while we're on the subject how do your parents feel about all of this?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:33 PM

nw,

you seem like an awesome poker player and good person. i wish you well.

my suggestion is that you remain on campus or close so that you can mack dumb sorority sluts.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:37 PM

Good luck. I've been doing it for like 1.5 years now and I'm actually finally going back to school next fall. I've learned a ton though and had a good time so I regret no decisions. It's one of those things for some people--you just have to take off and see what it's like for yourself before you can ever consider being happy and focused again in school.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thanks,

[/ QUOTE ]

while we're on the subject how do your parents feel about all of this?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, they are certainly somewhat dissapointed, but they know how well i have been doing, and agree that if i am not willing to put forth they effort to do well in school, i am better off dropping out for now so that i can have a somewhat clean transcript for the future if i decide to go back

at first, like in nevember when i first started thinking about dropping out, they didnt approve, but now they see that i am making a lot more money than they are

they would like for me to be educated, but i am really just not motivated to do the work when i am making as much money as i am playing poker and they understand that

another problem is that my brother, who actually taught me to play poker, is a losing gambler with a serious problem and he gets pretty jealous of my success, but he does not have what it takes to really study the game and set bankroll limits and all that for himself, what i am doing, just makes him want to blow all his money on poker, i am not going to stop playing because of this, but my success is not really helping his problem
Old 02-27-2006, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

you seem like an awesome poker player and good person

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it all the underage arrests or the dealing weed that lead you to the conclusion that he was a good person?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:41 PM

What was your major?

College was the best time of my life now that I look back (graduated in 1999). I couldn't imagine dropping out. Not because of the education or the thought of advancing my future, but just because of the "college experience".

Let's look at my college schedule:

8:00 am, get up and go to class
9:00 am first class
12 or 1 pm. Done. Time to party or go to work.

Sure there is homework and crap like that. My theory is that college students blow the studying/homework angle out of proportion. I think a lot of this is show. I managed to get a B.S. in Computer Science in 4 years with minimal studying and still had a good GPA.

Also, I kept a job all through college. If online poker were an option back then, I could have probably made some SERIOUS bank while in school. I had so much free time back then.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:41 PM

newhizzle,

You always seemed like a nice guy and a good poster, so I hope it all works out. All I know is that if I were to ever go down the route you are going I would take a lot of time to travel around the world. Just a suggestion, good luck.