Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 02:40 PM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

[ QUOTE ]
This barely falls under "strategy", but it's fresh in my mind since it happened at my local cardroom a few hours ago.

A very bad loose-passive limit holdem regular (call him Sammy) dusts off a few racks by playing his usual style of limping every hand and calling all the way down. In less than an hour, Sammy goes on a heater and picks up a quick six racks.

Another slightly better but still very awful regular (call him Marlin) comes over and says, "Hey Sammy, nice stack! Is that your record win?" Sammy replies, "I always lose." Marlin (assuming hyperbole on Sammy's part) says, "No, I mean when you win, is this the most you've ever won? Or have you had bigger wins?" Sammy, confused, says, "I always lose. I just come in and play until I lose it all." Marlin comes back, "But you win sometimes, right?" Sammy (still confused) just looks down and says softly, "I lose every single time."

So, I guess it's strategy. Sammy's poor strategy is showing up every night at the cardroom.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see plenty of people like this at my local B&M and have to wonder what their motivation is. Besides addiction, I guess?

Curiously, I left the table last night up $26 (sigh) to take a nap and a guy who had been tangling with me in pots all night came back to the table and asked my buddy if I had busted. Yeah, $226 gone at 4/8 in the time it took you to wander away from the table, douche.

Being able to leave - stuck or winner - is a skill.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to tell him how he was wrong, but he didnt believe me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well at least you tried. Whatever happens, make sure you keep on top of your crusade to educate the fish.

While you were at it, did you give him your wallet, and let him [censored] your wife?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first part was pretty funny, but the second one makes no sense at all...good try though!

I should have stayed quiet, but it is hard when a guy is sitting there commenting on your every play and calling you an idiot.
I thought it was a joke at first, but i was so astounded by his logic that i wanted to learn more. I had never experienced or heard of somebody being so out of line with their reasoning before.

after he busted out he said "i guess your strategy can work...gg"
Old 05-06-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The first part was pretty funny, but the second one makes no sense at all...good try though!

I should have stayed quiet, but it is hard when a guy is sitting there commenting on your every play and calling you an idiot.
I thought it was a joke at first, but i was so astounded by his logic that i wanted to learn more. I had never experienced or heard of somebody being so out of line with their reasoning before.

after he busted out he said "i guess your strategy can work...gg"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's why they allow you to ignore chat. If its getting to you, just ignore and play your game.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:36 PM

This isn't really strategy but the other day I'm dealing a tournament and two players get it all-in, one has JT and the other has QJ, and the JT guy is like "well, this is about a coinflip as I understand it". Then he lost the coinflip [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. How can anyone think JT vs. JQ is a coinflip, common sense.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:10 PM

I went to a B&M yesterday for the second time. I heard 2 good ones, both from the same guy. Not really strategy, but I thought worth mentioning. I was in the sb when the cutoff raised, and I folded. The bb called, and checked the flop, the preflop raiser bet out and won the hand. The next hand, I am otb with pocket kings. 2 players in already, I raised. The guy says, oh, its a steam raise. Huh? He said, you are steaming and its a steam raise, its sooooooo obvious. Some other guy pointed out I hadn't played a hand for almost an entire round. He says, I know, that's why she is steaming.

Same guy hears one other guy at the table telling his bad beat story. Some guy called his all in with an inside straight draw, and hit it to beat his set. They were both about average stacks. This guy says, that's not a bad beat! The guy telling the story asks what a bad beat would be to him then. He said, well, if the guy is willing to put his chips in the middle, its not a bad beat, he is taking the risk. NOW IF THE DEALER allowed him to keep playing the hand without putting any more money in, now THAT is a bad beat.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't really strategy but the other day I'm dealing a tournament and two players get it all-in, one has JT and the other has QJ, and the JT guy is like "well, this is about a coinflip as I understand it". Then he lost the coinflip [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. How can anyone think JT vs. JQ is a coinflip, common sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. While I was dealing a tournament there was an all-in with KK vs. AK and the guy sees the KK and says "well it's a race." I kept my mouth shut but I was laughing on the inside.

The other day when I was playing there was an all-in preflop with pocket tens vs. JJ. Jacks lose but is happy he made the right call preflop. Third party chimes in and says "You weren't ahead. There were two cards that helped you and two that helped the other guy. It was 50/50." I thought he was joking at first but after a few moments it was obvious he was serious.

I guess these aren't really strategies but it does explain some of the idiotic plays/calls that are made.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing a 10 person sit and go online. We get to 4 handed and top three cash. I raise 4 hands in row(Aj Aq...etc) Guy in the bb the last hand then says...

"You are going to lose all of your money pal"
me-What?
"you are raising every hand...you should never raise pre-flop"
me-are you serious right now? you have to be joking.

"No, i have lost so many times with AA all in pre flop, i dont raise because you dont know what is going to come on the flop...any two cards can win."

me-this has to be a joke...there is no way you actually believe that.

"you are a joke for raising everytime you have a hand...you'll just lose your chips faster that way. I guarantee you that i will finish ahead of you."

me-ok pal...

That conversation goes on for about a half-hour with me trying to make my point, but he always just says"you never know what is going to happen on the flop"

Needless to say, the guy never raised, busted out in 4th place, and i went on to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is strong evidence that you are not as smart or as good as you think you are.

I always wonder about the intelligence of the players who table coach. Is it just lack of emotional control? Or are you guys just losing players who need to reassure yourselves to keep donking off money?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While I was dealing a tournament there was an all-in with KK vs. AK and the guy sees the KK and says "well it's a race." I kept my mouth shut but I was laughing on the inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the definition of a race is 50/50, but AKo vs KK is 30-70, so while not really a race, AK will win a decent share of the time, it's not like KK doesn't have to sweat it.

[ QUOTE ]
The other day when I was playing there was an all-in preflop with pocket tens vs. JJ. Jacks lose but is happy he made the right call preflop. Third party chimes in and says "You weren't ahead. There were two cards that helped you and two that helped the other guy. It was 50/50." I thought he was joking at first but after a few moments it was obvious he was serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of other stupid 50/50 strategies. There was this one guy in a 10-person homegame tourney I played at briefly, whenever he'd have a tough decision for all his chips, he'd tank and inevitably make the call. His reasoning would be "I either win or lose, so it's 50/50, and I'm getting more than even money, so I have to call." This happened several times.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:11 AM

For whoever mentioned this, I routinely say "well, I've got Jackpot odds" when calling pre-flop at my 6/12 games. Gives me a nice table image.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to a B&M yesterday for the second time. I heard 2 good ones, both from the same guy. Not really strategy, but I thought worth mentioning. I was in the sb when the cutoff raised, and I folded. The bb called, and checked the flop, the preflop raiser bet out and won the hand. The next hand, I am otb with pocket kings. 2 players in already, I raised. The guy says, oh, its a steam raise. Huh? He said, you are steaming and its a steam raise, its sooooooo obvious. Some other guy pointed out I hadn't played a hand for almost an entire round. He says, I know, that's why she is steaming.

[/ QUOTE ]

usually when people make comments like this, they have a strong hand and are hoping to get more action from you. You didn't say how this hand turned out, but that was my immediate reaction.