Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 08:13 PM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

Not really strategy, but table talk between a SB and BB battle.

Folded to SB, who calls, BB moves all in.

SB: "I gotta call, I have 2 live cards, and flips over 5,2o"

BB: "no you don't" and flips over 9,2o

I wasnt sure if the "no you dont" referred to the having to call, or to having two live cards.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Harrahs New Orleans 4-8 game. 8 way preflop capped. Flop was 55Q. 5 way capped. Turn was 2. 5 way capped. River is a Q. Now board reads QQ552. A lady who has just been calling all the way comes out betting. Everyone folds to a guy on the other end of the table who raises. The lady who doesnt realize she had been raised turns her cards face up showing a Q. The dealer tells her she has been raised, and with cards still face up says "I raise again." The guy who raised stands up, looks to her end of the table, sees the queen and says "Oh my God, shes got the queen. I call." Then he shows a five. WTF?! Someone asks him "You see that youre beat and you still call." Guy looks at other guy like he's an idiot and says "Never fold a full house."

[/ QUOTE ]standard [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone where I work thinks the "computer hand" Q7o, was proven to be the best hand in hold'em by the use of computers. I don't bother to tell them it was shown that at a full table, if everyone played to the end everytime, Q7 is the median hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, I heard this from a guy as well at a 10/20 limit table. I told him..."you don't say...interesting. Would have never guessed."

He donked off a grand in an hour or so.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:58 PM

God, whoever started the "computer hand" line is a genius. I've got to introduce this one when I play sometime.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:58 PM

Today I'm at a 1/2 NL game. There is a tournament going and the early bustees always populate this game, so I move down from 2/4 to play it.

preflop raise to $16 from early position who is shortstacked. 2 callers, one which is the BB. Flop is A, 9, Q rainbow. Shortstack goes all in for another 45. Middle player Folds, BB calls.

They flip. All-in turns over AK, BB turns over 5-2 offsuit.

No more help on turn or river. Somebody asks Mr 5-2 WTF and he says "Sometimes I just get married to a hand."
Old 05-03-2007, 11:21 PM

"i never raise AK. its a drawing hand.... it nevers hits when i raise."
Old 05-03-2007, 11:29 PM

things I say at the table:

"I wouldnt raise AK PF if i were you..its a drawing hand.

wow thats a bad raise, you only had top pair.

cmon you know as well as I do that this game is all luck."

I do not want the fish to play well. shame on you if you offer sklanskian or 2 + 2 nuggets at the table.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:42 PM

Leveling is part of what makes live fun.

[ QUOTE ]
- After a 42o SB hand wins a big pot with 2 pr the dealer says, "That just proves that $4/$8 is all luck. There is no skill what-so-ever in limit poker." One pretty sharp guy next to the dealer laughed and said he believed there was definitely skill involved and starting hand selection would be the first place to start. The dealer concedes and says "Well whatever, I guess there might be some skill involved but no more than 5% at most. Trust me I deal, so I see how much luck is involved. No limit....well that's skill."

[/ QUOTE ]

Dealer isn't terribly off the mark here. I actually think NL is ~5% skill for each hand. I have virtually no Limit experience, but from what I've read about the strategy and the variance, it's definitely under 5%.

Anyway, the best story I've heard wasn't too amazing. Happened a couple of years ago. A live 1/2 grinder, looked like he played a lot of poker (probably in his 40s, probably unemployed, ashy pale skin), says the best poker move he's ever made in his life was folding AA pf. 3 people before him pushed, so he folded, and his hand would have lost to trip Queens. Saved himself $200.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:22 PM

I had to get an account just so I could drop a few nuggets from the 3/6 games I play in Oklahoma:

ME: "4,5,6,7,9 is not a straight." This guy was trying to claim straights with gaps in them and otherwise angle-shoot all night.

One guy, kinda shocked: "Straight beats three-of-a-kind?!?!?!?"

This guy breathed through gills: "Ya know, I've come to the conclusion that there is really no logic to poker." He lost about $100 in the next 5 hands.

There's one regular in my cardroom that counts outs to pairs under the highest card on board as outs to winners. I make sure I play at his table every time.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:24 PM

In the Orleans last year I was playing an evening donkament, $200 or something. This egg makes it 3K to go leaving himself 2500 behind. I had AQ so obv I'm like "allin, lol donkaments". Unbelievably he goes into the tank. Then he says "I have Queens, I don't know what to do". He gives me the massive staredown, taps the table and mucks it.

But wait, it's not over. He keeps bugging me to tell him whether I had Aces or Kings. Like on and on. Finally in the break he comes up to me and says "just tell me if it was a good laydown". I say "No, it wasn't". He glares at me, says "Then you made a bad play" and stomps off.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ... DONKAMENTS !!