Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Good spot for a Squeeze?

MP2 has been aggressive and no reads on MP3. My image should be tight.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t2679)
UTG (t1982)
UTG+1 (t6425)
MP1 (t2419)
MP2 (t4126)
MP3 (t3046)
CO (t3150)
Hero (t2650)
SB (t4050)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t450</font>, MP3 calls t450, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero?</font>
Old 08-02-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Good spot for a Squeeze?

This is pretty much the definition of a squeeze spot.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:13 AM

Yeah, as I posted it i realized that but I guess my question is, do you take every single squeeze opportunity you can, or do you wait until blinds are bigger or antes start?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:17 AM

as i'm always posting in any "squeeze thread":

a squeeze is a sort of bluff, where you need a very good read on your opponents, otherwise it is too expensive to be +EV.

as you posted:

[ QUOTE ]
no reads on MP3.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is def. not a good place for a squeeze.

btw we see here in the last time tons of "squeeze" posts where you find a raise,call hero?.
bluffing is much more than some sequences on the table - it has to do a lot with analyzing your opponents, get their betting patterns, notice if they are able to lay a hand down, get a feeling for the table - if you manage all this and find a good spot - move in.
but don't do a "squeeze" after any raise - call sequence and a mediocre hand.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
don't do a "squeeze" after any raise - call sequence and a mediocre hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't a smooth call in late position from an unknown typically signal a marginal hand that will most likely fold?

What range do you put the caller on?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 AM

i can't give you a range, because me - same as you in this situation - don't know anything about the caller.

and this is my main point.
bluffing is great but only works with good information often enought to make you money/chips.

your main problem isn't the range (cause if anyone calls you, you are at best a 55:45 favorite, and will be a big underdog often enough) but his ability to lay his hand down.
unless you don't have this information you can't expect to get enough money out of this move.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:27 AM

I really don't think a lack of a solid read on MP3 is a good enough reason to advocate folding here, especially when our read on the open raiser is exactly what we want to squeeze here. How often is MP3 going to be a big enough wacko and call widely enough to make pushing here -EV? I don't think its going to be nearly often enough to pass up this spot.

Also keep in mind that when somebody doesn't have a read on a player, it often means "this player hasn't done anything worth noting yet," which would mean he is tight, which is exactly what we want.

Also the fact that we have an above average hand makes this more of a semi-bluff if anything, and we are often ahead when called.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think a lack of a solid read on MP3 is a good enough reason to advocate folding

[/ QUOTE ]

i never did that - without read i mine for a set anytime.

[ QUOTE ]
Also the fact that we have an above average hand makes this more of a semi-bluff if anything, and we are often ahead when called.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think the term semi-bluff is good here, as u usually use it for a draw hand in postflop play.
imo this is a bluff - you pretend to have a better hand than you actually have.
the fact is you don't want a call with your play, cause if your called you will face an overpair too often to make it profitable.
therefore you need solid reads and tight players, who are affraid you could hold QQ+,AK (what you pretend to have).
Old 08-02-2007, 11:55 AM

I flip a coin. Tails I shove, heads I fold.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:23 PM

I'm not a big fan of calling here, your stack barely gives you implied odds to try to flop a set, and even with 2 people in I don't know if you double up often enough to make it profitable.

I know what a semi-bluff is, I was just making a comparison to you calling a push here a bluff. I think you are underestimating your FE here and also underestimating how 55 does against the villains calling ranges, and also keep in mind that you're getting a pretty big overlay so getting it all in with something like AK is not a bad thing here.