Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 11:44 PM

Default No wonder I keep losing

5 handed 60/120 game. Game was 3 handed for a while and just became 5 handed. Villain is Roc. He knows how I play against others and against him, he knows I know how he plays etc etc. I am fairly sure that I should have folded every street here. The river is probably the most profitable decision (or least unprofitable) I made all hand.

I open UTG with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Roc 3bets from small blind, I call and pot is HU.

Flop Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He bets, I call. Maybe he has AK.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He bets I call. I hate money.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He bets I call, I'm in too deep now.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:12 AM

Default Re: No wonder I keep losing

pre is fine too?

does roc ever fold, like if you were to fsdr the turn or something?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pre is fine too?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how we can fold pairs on the button 3 handed so I am not sure if you or HOWMANY is saying that.

As far as your question, I think Roc is more likely to 3 bet a hand with air than fold any hand you want him to fold. The turn spade putting up a second draw is just too likely to be viewed as a semibluff from a dude with "suspicious" as his middle name.

Roc and folding don't belong in the same sentence. Bug, have you already forgotten his CR and 4 bet with 72 on the Txx board?

Edit to say wtf is going on here preflop? Are we 3 handed still? Just reread the post and it looks like we are indeed 5 handed and you are UTG. Meh, just stay away from this hand. Doubtful it is profitable and will just jack up your variance, especially when you are running rough sean.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see how we can fold pairs on the button 3 handed so I am not sure if you or HOWMANY is saying that.

[/ QUOTE ]

hero is UTG 5 handed. He's in the hijack basically, which is fine to raise fullring a lot of the time, but in S/H, you have less fold equity.

Also, what's the blind structure in this game? 30/60? 40/60? 20/60?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hero is UTG 5 handed. He's in the hijack basically, which is fine to raise fullring a lot of the time, but in S/H, you less less fold equity.

Also, what's the blind structure in this game? 30/60? 40/60? 20/60?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, see my edit. I don't know where they played this but the blind structure is usually 2/3 or 40/60.

It is a somewhat close decision since attacking the blinds will be pretty important in a shorthanded game but Roc calls any 2 out of the big blind and maybe 75% out of the SB so I don't think we can turn a profit here.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:41 AM

Yes this hand is just plain unprofitable 5 handed and I doubt it's close. I was actually running like a champ at this point in the game and I looked down and saw a WIRED POCKET PAIR and raised, and as Roc was 3betting it actually registered that the game was no longer 3 handed and I might want to not play bad. So I put all my brain power into flopping a set and winning a big pot but that failed. So now I have a pair and I call down like a doofus.

Also for everyone else, raising at any point postflop is a very bad mistake. Getting 3bet off the best hand is astronomically more likely than getting him to fold like 22-66. My policy against Roc is to never (never) raise a hand that I have to fold if he raises back. This is even more true in spots where it looks like I might be semibluffing. I guess I should have elaborated more on how Roc plays but I just sort of assumed that most people have played with or heard of him if they are in California or Vegas.

*edit*
Blinds are 30/60 in this game because we are playing $10 chips.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pre is fine too?

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as your question, I think Roc is more likely to 3 bet a hand with air than fold any hand you want him to fold. The turn spade putting up a second draw is just too likely to be viewed as a semibluff from a dude with "suspicious" as his middle name.

Roc and folding don't belong in the same sentence. Bug, have you already forgotten his CR and 4 bet with 72 on the Txx board?

Edit to say wtf is going on here preflop? Are we 3 handed still? Just reread the post and it looks like we are indeed 5 handed and you are UTG. Meh, just stay away from this hand. Doubtful it is profitable and will just jack up your variance, especially when you are running rough sean.

[/ QUOTE ]

see, earlier in that say I saw roc raise or reraise pre and fold to flop c/r's. sooooo I dunno?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:19 AM

dude if he's a live guy, you only beat a 3barreled AK here, I think you have to fold turn maybe flop.

wow, I treally think your downswing is affecting you. Even the tone of your posts makes me feel sad. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Like it sounds like your playing without hope? Is poker fun for you anymore man? PM me if you want

JT
Old 08-24-2007, 12:22 AM

preflop is an open-muck 5 handed IMO.
Also, if you're going to showdown, I like popping turn.

edit: nvm. Popping turn sucks. You might get 3 bet by one of the many many draws on board. I think calling down probably sucks too, but I don't know how either of you play, so take that for what it's worth.

With that said, I think Folding preflop>raising>calling
flop I think folding>raising>calling
turn I think Raising>calling
River I think Calling>folding

Does that make ANY sense?
These high stakes hands between skilled players confuse the bajeezus outta me, and my thoughts on them are equally WEIRD
Old 08-24-2007, 12:27 AM

i'd fold this preflop.
postflop totally depends on your relationship with Roc.