Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: jack kerouc

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people always equate intelligence with literary savvy?

[/ QUOTE ]
You've been through all of
F. Scott Fitzgerald's books
You're very well read
It's well known

- Dylan, "Ballad of a Thin Man"

I think it's common for people with inferior intelligence but lofty ambitions / skewed self images to pursue literary awareness. Having read the classics (and I include Kerouac's "On the Road" among them) shouldn't be considered proof of intelligence. It's generally an indication though, since most people reading classic literature are driven by that special curiousness that define intellectuals.

For the record, I thought "On the Road" was pretty horrid. Then again, I only read the Norwegian translation, and I was only 14-15 or something at the time, so that doesn't necessarily mean much.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Go ask them if they have seen Psycho, North by Northwest and Vertigo.

There's LOTS of stuff out there that lots of eduated but ignorant Americans aren't the least bit familir with and they simply don't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, go ask them if they've heard of Psycho, NBW, or Vertigo.

[/ QUOTE ]

get off it already, people know exactly what is being discussed here, not every OP has to be taken literally.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can understand if someone hasn't read Kerouac, but to genuinely not recognize the name is to be oblivious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oblivious to what? Middle of the road 20th century American literary figures? Go ask all of the "smart" people you know if they are familiar with Don DeLillo, Thomas Pynchon, Cormac McCarthy, Philip Roth, etc etc etc. You'll draw just as many blanks as you would with Kerouac, and they are FAR better writers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you intentionally missing the point here? I said nothing about the quality of his work. I'm reasonably sure that FAR more people have heard of Kerouac than any of the others you mentioned, simply because he's somewhat of an icon and saluted throughout pop culture.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:37 PM

What do you guys get out of reading literature though? I love to read, and I read a ton, but 99% of what I read is non-fiction, how can any fictional book teach you anything, why is it a sign of intelligence? why do you think you are smarter for having read The Great Gatsby, other than being able to answer some trivia questions once in awhile? If Im reading fiction, its for nothing else but enjoyment.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There's LOTS of stuff out there that lots of eduated but ignorant Americans aren't the least bit familir with and they simply don't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

get off it already, people know exactly what is being discussed here, not every OP has to be taken literally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, with this one the distinction is pretty clear. A lot of people have not seen The Godfather or read The Da Vinci Code. But everyone should know what they are (broad examples).
Old 08-03-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, with this one the distinction is pretty clear. A lot of people have not seen The Godfather or read The Da Vinci Code. But everyone should know what they are (broad examples).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I agree, but I think the discussion has turned away from whether you had heard of him, and whether you actually know who he is. going back to the literal OP when you keep quoting people, when its obvious they are talkign abotu something else seems like a waste of time.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys get out of reading literature though? I love to read, and I read a ton, but 99% of what I read is non-fiction, how can any fictional book teach you anything, why is it a sign of intelligence? why do you think you are smarter for having read The Great Gatsby, other than being able to answer some trivia questions once in awhile? If Im reading fiction, its for nothing else but enjoyment.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't understand the concept and function of art. Illumination of the human condition is a good beginning.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's not writing, that's typing.

- Truman Capote

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Dorothy Parker wrote that.

EDIT: Looks like I'm wrong.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't understand the concept and function of art. Illumination of the human condition is a good beginning.

[/ QUOTE ]

My illumination of the human condition comes from meeting and talking with humans, I dont see how reading about some rich guy in teh 1920s is going to illuminate anything about someone in 2007. and Im not trying to pick an argument, Id like to learn how reading literature can help me learn more about people in 2007
Old 08-03-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My illumination of the human condition comes from meeting and talking with humans, I dont see how reading about some rich guy in teh 1920s is going to illuminate anything about someone in 2007.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me back up. I am not arguing that reading these great novels makes you better or more intelligent than someone who reads Richard Dawkins. I am merely stating that art has a function, and that functin is sharing truths about who we are. Gatsby isn't about a rich guy in the 20's, it is about finding meaning in life when all those around you are relentlessly pursusing meaningless activities. This is something that I identify with very much. Try harder to find personal meaning in literature and you may be rewarded.