Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 09:45 AM

Default For Americans Abroad...

I had previously still been using my US Neteller account. Has anyone here successfully changed their Neteller address? What was the process? Ive emailed them, but havent heard back. Will you need to have a foriegn bank account to transfer with, or will the American account still work?

What other options are available to Americans living outside of America to transfer funds?
Old 01-20-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Re: For Americans Abroad...

Do you have a foreign bank account? Try using your debit card or doing a bank transfer. Neteller and all these eWallet solutions were primarily designed to aid US bettors.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:08 PM

You need a foreign account.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:43 PM

And if you're living abroad you probably have one. I'm an American living outside of the US and I have a foreign bank account. Even if you're just saving yourself the conversion fees it's always good to have a local account in the local currency.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And if you're living abroad you probably have one. I'm an American living outside of the US and I have a foreign bank account. Even if you're just saving yourself the conversion fees it's always good to have a local account in the local currency.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true you probably have a foreign account somewhere. However, it's not always a good idea to have one in the country you are living. I wouldn't recommend one for Argentina. Also, I don't pay conversion fees, I get the interbank exchange rate with ATM withdrawals and my bank charges no commission. I also have ARS, USD, EUR, and CHF accounts at my one bank that I use (not in Argentina).

This for instance makes it impossible for me to use Neteller since they won't take wires from Switzerland when my address is Argentina. It's also no causing problems with Party Poker. I suspect KKF is in the same boat as gambling is illegal in Thailand and as such using a Thai bank account for funding online poker is probably not a good idea.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true you probably have a foreign account somewhere. However, it's not always a good idea to have one in the country you are living. I wouldn't recommend one for Argentina. Also, I don't pay conversion fees, I get the interbank exchange rate with ATM withdrawals and my bank charges no commission. I also have ARS, USD, EUR, and CHF accounts at my one bank that I use (not in Argentina).

This for instance makes it impossible for me to use Neteller since they won't take wires from Switzerland when my address is Argentina. It's also no causing problems with Party Poker. I suspect KKF is in the same boat as gambling is illegal in Thailand and as such using a Thai bank account for funding online poker is probably not a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, yes Thailand can be a bit of a pain in the butt. I'm actually in the middle of planning a little holiday down in Phuket for March or April (though I do want to avoid Songkran).

Well, he has the double issue of being in a place where nobody wants your business (gambling being illegal in Thailand and all) and needing a bank account. I have to admit that I just assumed some place like Europe. And you'll have to excuse my ignorance on this but I would assume major international banks offer services in places like Argentina and Thailand. I can see why you may not want a local Argentinian bank account but if you had an HSBC, RBS, or Barclays account via their offshore services divisions you could keep USD, EUR, and GBP balances.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:16 AM

You don't need a foreign bank account, because outside of US and Canada Neteller isn't tied up to your bank account anyway. What you do need is an accepted ID with your foreign address (i.e. passport or driver's license) and a current (within I think three months) utility bill with your name and address in the foreign country. That's what they required of me, and they were strict that it was a utility bill and not some other letter.