Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-26-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Down Swings

taking a break is essential. wait until your motivated to play good poker. I lost so much continuing to play. I usually take a break eat my favortire food (taco bell) watch a little of rounders (if you dont own you tube bay bay) and just to clear my mind and play the best poker I can.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are a winning player BANKROLL deals with the swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont post obvious, yet irrelevant resonses like this.

What everyone else said is spot on. Take a break, analyze your game and most importantly, DONT PLAY ON TILT! I've struggled with this in the past, and the best way to break an approaching downswing is to close all your windows immediately the second you start to tilt and things are going to chit.

Talk with friends, read read read, 2+2 it up, go down a level to rebuild confidence, or just take a break from all things related to poker for a couple days and clear your mind...all things I do and they work well.

[/ QUOTE ]
For the benefit of OSUGreg1983 who obviously could not understand the point I was making I will expand.

If you are correctly bankrolled the downswings should not be as painful and therefore you will avoid tilting (or at least greatly reduce it). Every player needs to accept that downswings are an inevitable part of playing poker. Variance will occur and is one of the main reasons players tilt and then go on a downward spiral and play worse.

I have playing online poker for 5 years and much longer than that live. I am a winning player over an enormous timescale. I never redeposit and only withdraw. The reason is that I am correctly bankrolled. I go through downswings as all players do but I accept this and it doesn’t hurt so much because I know it will turn. Taking a break does not break the spell. You need to carry on playing correct poker and making the right decisions.

Some players will not be winning players and will need to set a budget on what they can afford to pay for their poker entertainment but even those players will benefit by playing within a good bankroll. You don’t want a few bad beats to mean a huge chunk of your bankroll has gone.

Good luck to the OP in dealing with your swings.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DONT PLAY ON TILT!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I qualified my statement, did you?

I would expect more maturity from a 2+2er with 700 posts. The initial post you made is extremely unhelpful to OP who is seeking advise, not a remarkably stupid comment such as the bankroll reply you left. You didn't explain your thoughts or offer suggestions pertaining to what OP was actually asking. OP made no suggestion to the fact that his bankroll is insufficient for the stakes he's experiencing variance at. He simply wants sound advice on how to deal with a typical downswing. When I first started playing cash I didn't know what a normalish downswing contained, nor what to do when I was getting slaughtered in the short run either.

Go to BBV if you want to troll a post, here you're just asking to get banhammered. Grow up or find another forum.

OP I think you have seen a solid amount of advice here besides Rek who needs to figure out this isn't the BBV thread for noobs.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are a winning player BANKROLL deals with the swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

What everyone else said is spot on. Take a break, analyze your game and most importantly, DONT PLAY ON TILT! I've struggled with this in the past, and the best way to break an approaching downswing is to close all your windows immediately the second you start to tilt and things are going to chit.

Talk with friends, read read read, 2+2 it up, go down a level to rebuild confidence, or just take a break from all things related to poker for a couple days and clear your mind...all things I do and they work well.

[/ QUOTE ]
For the benefit of OSUGreg1983 who obviously could not understand the point I was making I will expand.

If you are correctly bankrolled the downswings should not be as painful and therefore you will avoid tilting (or at least greatly reduce it). Every player needs to accept that downswings are an inevitable part of playing poker. Variance will occur and is one of the main reasons players tilt and then go on a downward spiral and play worse.

I have playing online poker for 5 years and much longer than that live. I am a winning player over an enormous timescale. I never redeposit and only withdraw. The reason is that I am correctly bankrolled. I go through downswings as all players do but I accept this and it doesn’t hurt so much because I know it will turn. Taking a break does not break the spell. You need to carry on playing correct poker and making the right decisions.

Some players will not be winning players and will need to set a budget on what they can afford to pay for their poker entertainment but even those players will benefit by playing within a good bankroll. You don’t want a few bad beats to mean a huge chunk of your bankroll has gone.

Good luck to the OP in dealing with your swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you would have posted this in the first place I wouldn't have taken to you the way I did. Lesson learned? Great!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DONT PLAY ON TILT!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I qualified my statement, did you?

I would expect more maturity from a 2+2er with 700 posts. The initial post you made is extremely unhelpful to OP who is seeking advise, not a remarkably stupid comment such as the bankroll reply you left. You didn't explain your thoughts or offer suggestions pertaining to what OP was actually asking. OP made no suggestion to the fact that his bankroll is insufficient for the stakes he's experiencing variance at. He simply wants sound advice on how to deal with a typical downswing. When I first started playing cash I didn't know what a normalish downswing contained, nor what to do when I was getting slaughtered in the short run either.

Go to BBV if you want to troll a post, here you're just asking to get banhammered. Grow up or find another forum.

OP I think you have seen a solid amount of advice here besides Rek who needs to figure out this isn't the BBV thread for noobs.

[/ QUOTE ]
As you can see I have expanded above. I thought it was obvious what I was saying. Hope that heps you but I think the OP probably understood anyway
Old 11-26-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You didn't explain your thoughts or offer suggestions

[/ QUOTE ]

One liners are detrimental to learning, this is what I was getting at.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:04 PM

This thread has some good stuff:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/newrep...part=1&vc=1

Hope that helps.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 PM

Kill a few donks in my head, then move on
Old 11-26-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But seriously, sometimes taking a break and finding leaks in your game is the best way to break out of a downswing, you can also drop down a level to rebuild your roll and confidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

One important point is that not all downswings are 'downswings'. You should look at the hands that are costing you and ask if its variance/bad luck or if there are some particular hands/situations you're playing poorly.

.Z
Old 11-26-2007, 09:30 PM

Here's what I do: go over the bad sessions / bad hands, and figure out whether you're getting the money in good and losing, or getting the money in bad and losing. If it's the former, you can chill out because there's just nothing you can do to even out your luck, and your losses will be super short-term.

If you're getting the money in bad, understand that there are changes to be made in your game and go from there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]