Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Another \"Am I a D-bag\" thread

[ QUOTE ]
Since this is my 3rd "am i a D-bag" thread I'm assuming the answer is "yes" since I keep having to question these situations, but here goes anyway. Again, I will try to be impartial with my telling of the story and not just give the version that makes me look ok.

Backstory on me and this fellow is that a couple weeks ago he pulled an angle on a newb and I called him on it and he got really upset that I would question his integrity. It got dropped, and then tonight this situation occurred.

We are in a pot together. River comes a third heart giving me a flush. I go all in, he insta-calls. I flip over my cards. He uses the F bomb quite loudly saying "You F*er." I don't respond. I ask dealer to chop one of the redbirds, and I tip her 3 dollars. (Now, to give you guys some info on this game, tipping red-birds is pretty common after large pots, and I've even seen a black chip given as a tip, however my thing is I usually tip .1% of the pot rounded up to the nearest dollar, so this pot was 2K+, so that equals 3 dollars).

About 30 seconds later, he asks the dealer "How much did he tip you, a dollar?" She puts up 3 fingers indicating that I tipped her 3 dollars, and he give a "psssshhh" and rolls his eyes.

This is where I speak up. I say "Do you have a problem?" He responds "I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the dealer." I respond "yeah but you were talking about me. Do you have a problem with how I tip?" He responds "yeah, I do." I say very nastily "Who the hell do you think you are?" That's when floor is called over and that's pretty much the end of the situation.

The reason I ask is that a couple guys from the table who are buddies with this guy got in my face about starting with him. That's why I ask you guys, am I a D-bag?

Thanks for the replies

tl;dr. I win big pot, tip 3 dollars, villain makes fun of my tipping, I say "Who the hell do you think you are?" Am I a douche?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like between the beat and past encounters he’s steaming and makes a rather childish attempt to embarrass you. In this case he comes across as a passive aggressive douche but you bite and escalate into full confrontational mode when a smile and shrug, or better yet, completely ignoring him as you stacked his chips would have kept you in control of both him and your emotions. You rewarded him and probably took him off tilt.

Since it appears you’ve been finding yourself responding emotionally to situations at the table, for your long term survival and profitability it might behoove you to quit internalizing and expending energy on who was right or who acted douchey and look at which responses/non response will help make you a better winning player.

The dealer was caught off guard and with experience (or a private word from you later) might handle the situation better in the future. Regardless, tip what you feel comfortable with and never give the comments or gestures of other players or the dealer a second thought. An exception perhaps being if it’s an extremely profitable super loose fish fest full of large pots and over tipping and you want to maintain the image of rollicking along with everyone else.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:38 PM

So you think it's ok to get involved in something that doesn't involve you (an "angle" where villain doesn't show his cards first...even though that isn't even an angle, it's just being kind of a jerk) but you get mad when that same player puts himself into YOUR business at another time?

Yeah that makes you a bit of a d-bag. Seems like you were just looking for a way to get into it with this guy. And for all anyone knows this guy wouldn't have said a word in this situation if you hadn't gotten into his business before.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:22 PM

I agree that the 'angle' from a couple weeks prior was a really unnecessary confrontation.
Whether his not showing was appropriate or not I think that giving the sarcastic "uh huh" is practically begging for some sort of response.

Yes, people are jerks at the table. But it seems OP can't keep himself from starting stuff up with people he doesn't like.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, people are jerks at the table. But it seems OP can't keep himself from starting stuff up with people he doesn't like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I believe this is my main problem. I gotta work on this.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:18 PM

About 30 seconds later, he asks the dealer "How much did he tip you, a dollar?"

Answer: "Yes, I did. And I'm still waiting for my change." You have to joke this kind of stuff off and play poker.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:00 PM

You'd be a douche if you didn't confront him.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:23 PM

in a 2k pot, I tip 20$ and still feel pretty bad about it. in germany 2% is expected and actually you might get thrown out if you dont tip enough for a long period of time.

but I guess they rake less over here
Old 11-26-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I said something to him "you know you were first to flip," he said that he couldn't hear because his earphones were in. This is someone who has been playing cards for years, and he had been able to hold conversations perfectly fine with his earphones in, so I gave a sarcastic "uh huh" to him. He immediately got red in the face and shouted "are you calling me a liar?" I kind of shrugged, and that was also pretty much the end of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm...yes u are a d-bag. First you butt in the hand where you weren't involved and were clearly wrong in that situation. Then you called it an "angle" and put it in the beginning of your post to set up a negative perception of the villain. Ohh and "Do you have a problem with xxx" sounds great in the setting where you can't get your balls broken. What if he does? What can YOU do about it? You sound like a little p()ssy who feels safe in the poker room and loves to pump his chest while risking nothing. DIE !!!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:24 PM

It seems like you have the type of personality where you get into a lot of confrontations with people. In all the years I've been playing poker I've never gotten into any sort of verbal battle with another player. Not one. Funny how there are other players who always seem to end up in some kind of altercation. Maybe you need to look at yourself and ask why you constantly seem to find yourself in these situations.

That being said, I do have to call you out on the tip. You just won a $2,000 pot and you ask the dealer to chop a redbird? Can you be any nittier? Does the 200 pennies you are saving really outweigh the negative vibes you send to the rest of the table (and the dealer) with that action?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:36 PM

In my opinion I do not think you're a douche... most dealers and most live players would. I personally am a dealer as well as a player so I can see it from both sides of the spectrum. In Florida, a $3 tip on a $2k pot would have SEVERAL players at the table getting on your case. As a dealer, of course I am greedy and want a bigger tip, but I just got $3 for a minute and a halfs worth of work... shippit?

I didnt read the rest of the thread, but I'd predict you'll have a lot of support on this because quite frankly 2+2ers are not good tippers. There's absolutely nothing bad about that, but they just feel that it cuts into their net profits too much to justify it being crazy. Most live players are recreational players and they become friends with the dealers and they get guilted into tipping way too much because they have a personal repour with the dealer.