Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Is it possible to just be an unlucky person?

Didn't read your post, but in short, no. Certainly, a person can get the short end of the variance stick, but inherently unlucky? No.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:02 PM

I feel like im in the exact same situation as you regarding poker. I constantly build up my stack at the tables winning small/meduim pots where there is actual "poker" played, then get kings or aces and get all my money in against idiots on the flop or turn as an 80%+ favourite and lose. I make sure I analyse any big pots I play and the huge majority of the time I am a huge favourite when I play a big pot.

I know this is just variance. I know it must change. In the meantime, all I can do is strive to maintain a healthy outlook, not let it affect my life outside poker, maintain a realistic overview of my play, good and bad, realise that I can still learn and improve and continue to dedicate myself to that.

I dont see there is any other choice. All I know is that if I can stick to the above, when variance decides to be kinder to me, Ill be better positioned to be take advantage.

hope things turn around for you soon...
Old 11-19-2007, 06:14 PM

I felt I had a similar thing so I recorded in a spreadsheet, on a monthly basis, every single hand where the pot was >80% of a buyin and I poker stoved every hand exactly to get an exact equity.

The most important thing I found was that I waaaayyy over estimating my average equity in the pots where I was all in. Across the lot, I was hitting 60% on a good month ranging down to about 48%.

The exercise also began a good habit of continual detailed review of hands from a number crunching perspective even though luck owes me about 12 buyins at present, my $$$/hr has shot up due to noticing and fixing leaks.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:55 PM

Hey Russ, I skimmed your post and read the last paragraph, but I can promise you as far as poker goes, in the long run there is absolutely zero luck in this game. I used to feel like I couldn't catch enough cards to be a big winner, but after a while of this I just decided I had to somehow figure out what the big winners in my games were doing that I wasn't doing, and it did the trick.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:07 PM

Don't think you are unlucky, good luck and bad luck evens out in the long run.

Sounds more like a garden variety loser.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:43 PM

OP, did you put this in the psychology section because you were wondering if somehow your subconscious is putting you in these unlucky situations (or situations where you have a better than average chance of being unlucky)?

I think this affects all sorts of people. It is better to not go through life being depressed and a victim of bad luck. Life is too short and it is simply not worth it. Find out about how to make +ev decisions not just at cards but in all of your actions and you will start running good. The people that do the best aren't always the best they just put themselves in the most situations where they have a chance to succeed. If you play cards this way you will win in the end and your luck will certainly improve (or at least seem to).
Old 11-20-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just FYI, there is no Santa Claus

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT????????? Who is that fat guy in the red suit I see in the supermarket every year?

[/ QUOTE ]
A child molester in disguise.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:48 PM

op,

gambler's fallacy
Old 11-20-2007, 11:55 PM

If the girl in the pic is your girlfriend then you're not unlucky, she has a nice face and huge boobies.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:19 AM

being born in a first world country means you are extremely lucky to begin with, to be an unlucky person, id say you would be born in iraq, then get bombed and having missing limbs while getting the aids, thats unlucky. your likely just bad at poker