Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 12:04 AM

Default .25/.50 Fixed Omaha8 stars hand

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Omaha/8 (10 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 folds, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero ?

Flop call was just a misclick so ignore that, but what should you do on the turn? Fold right?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Re: .25/.50 Fixed Omaha8 stars hand

Hi Jailblazers -
[ QUOTE ]
what should you do on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]There are 4.5 big bets in the pot and it will cost you 1 big bet to call. Assuming SB also calls, and then calls one bet on the river, about as much as you can optimistically expect, Hero is getting 2.75 to 1 implied pot odds for half the pot. And the odds against the board pairing are about 34 to 10.

Thus the odds against the board pairing are greater than the pot odds Hero is getting. And that indicates Hero should fold.

However, there's another factor. Hero doesn't know if BB is betting a low or a flush (or both). If BB is betting low without a flush, and if SB also doesn't have a flush, then Hero probably wins high be default. And since the king and ace of clubs are both on the board, it looks a lot like BB was betting low back on the flop, rather than a club draw. (Of course maybe he had both - or maybe SB has baby clubs plus a low).

A deuce on the river gives Hero a six low with a live three, possibly a winner for low.

Hero obviously wishes he had pushed the raise button instead of inadvertently pushing the call button on the previous betting round, because either one of these opponents might have folded, or at least BB might not be betting this round. Oh well.

But what to do now? Hero increases his chances of winning by raising, hoping to knock out SB, but that could back-fire if SB has the flush.

I don't want to raise and I absolutely hate to call here (SB could come alive with a check-raise, or a raising war could erupt on the river). But I don't like to fold either.

I don't like any of the choices.

Raising seems too rash, but at least if you raise here, these guys probably will be calling your raises for the next twenty years.

Tough choice. I could go any way. Probably folding is best.

Buzz
Old 11-12-2007, 03:48 AM

I like raising preflop. I find that getting the shorthanded to increase the value of you AA is worth more that hoping to flop a big hand/draw against a field.

Given the size of the pot I'm almost folding on the turn.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:26 AM

By not raising the flop, it's like you were slowplaying, but then the scare card comes on the turn, so I think you fold. Playing for half of a small pot, you don't have to kick yourself too hard if you fold and it turns out your opponents are both going for low. Even if your aces are good now, one of them could hit a straight on the river.
As Buzz mentioned, it could also depend on what table image you want. If you call the turn and somehow win a piece of the pot, your opponents will see how you played, and not knowing about you mis-click, put you on a super weak/tight image.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like raising preflop. I find that getting the shorthanded to increase the value of you AA is worth more that hoping to flop a big hand/draw against a field.

Given the size of the pot I'm almost folding on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

And by 'almost' I meant also.. as in I agree with Buzz about folding. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]