Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-04-2007, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Did the US Nuke Syria?

Hey Man,
I think the only thing that has been proven in this thread is that a MOAB could have done the same damage. I'm not looking to prove a damn thing. I just wanted to examine the evidence to see if it were a real possibility. It certainly is a lot of fun to speculate about.

BTW, you are completely out of line.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are REALLY speculating in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you missed it, that's kind of the point.

Go level somewhere else.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My personal opinion is that this was an all Israeli or all American operation. There is no need for the two countries to conduct such a limited mission together, unneccesarily complicating the sortie (if both have the necessary capabilities).

I think its most likely to be Israel, with the leaks designed to present a clear picture - that Israel has the US's full support for limited operations against such sites (unconventional/nuclear weapons).

I dont think its possible for Israel to have acted unilaterally, "trying to drag the US in" - no way Israel performs this mission (other than at a time of out and out war) without US permission.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm leaning in the direction of all Isreali as well. Given the history, though, they feel it is always better to ask forgiveness than permission.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What would be the benefits of using a nuke over MOAB for the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason I can see is to send a message. But, it's some message and with a big backfire risk. I am pretty much in agreement with everything else you said, though.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You guys are REALLY speculating in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you missed it, that's kind of the point.

Go level somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, enough with this talk of leveling. It was clear NY sarcasm, it was a post on the first page, and I didn't think anyone would be confused by it.

What I meant by REALLY speculating, was that there is no reason to believe that little black spot on the map is a crater, either from a bomb or otherwise, and you guys are really just pulling stuff straight out of your asses. I was trying to be polite about it.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:59 AM

Of all the people posting here, I didn't expect you, an ex-submariner, to put up this crap.

If OTOH you're leveling us, congratulations.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:54 AM

well, im also pretty sure that it was conventional weapons. too much risk for no seemingly operational benefit to use tactical nukes.

and Israel dosnt need to ask permission to eradicate a threat close to its borders - i meant more that this would have been discussed between the two countries and cleared beforehand.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:21 AM

This is old news. It happened on Sept 6th and it's widely agreed upon, that the Israelis flew the mission using conventional weapons.
As screwy as GW may be, he's not going to authorize the use of nuclear weapons against Syria.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is old news. It happened on Sept 6th and it's widely agreed upon, that the Israelis flew the mission using conventional weapons.
As screwy as GW may be, he's not going to authorize the use of nuclear weapons against Syria.

[/ QUOTE ]

and evidently everyone missed the story about how Syria cleaned up afterwards - they leveled/dragged off all debris to prevent analysis - that's why it looks wiped clean.

Nuclear warhead in syria - [censored] almighty - like discussing if the earth is flat.

RB
Old 11-06-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and evidently everyone missed the story about how Syria cleaned up afterwards - they leveled/dragged off all debris to prevent analysis - that's why it looks wiped clean.

Nuclear warhead in syria - [censored] almighty - like discussing if the earth is flat.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it more likely that Syria quickly cleaned up the debris in order to conceal the fact that the site did indeed host a nuclear development facility of some sort? That would seem more likely to me than a nuke being used where a conventional weapon would easily suffice.