Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Ask me anything about PRAGUE or CZECH REPUBLIC

[ QUOTE ]
How much is a nice 2br apartment?

What are Prague's strengths and weaknesses?

Are you ladies attractive and easy? Do most people speak English?

[/ QUOTE ]

A nice 2 bedroom apartment in Central Prague can easily fetch more than $1 million.

If you go slightly away from the centre, which is a very well connected via underground, bus and tram links then you could get a v. nice apartments for around $85,000-100,000.

Prague Strengths:

It is an absolutely beautiful city. The architecture is amazing. Its a city known for its beauty and 100 Golden Spirals, many of the building have spiral roofs.

It is relatively cheap:

Decent 3 course meal for two will be around $100-200 depending how central you are. In the outskirts you can get a 3 course meal for 2 for $30

There are so many things to do, you can go sightseeing, offers great shopping, contains Europe’s largest shopping centre (Chodov Centrum). There are also constantly huge bands playing. When I was there in the summer Rolling Stones, Ossy Osborne, Pink, Madonna were playing there in 1 months period. There are plenty of football matches, ice-hockey (which Czech’s are extremely good at)etc etc.

Easy transport links which are cheap and reliable.

And the night life is great, loads of bars and clubs, strip clubs.

Czech's have the best bear in the world and its only $2 a pint. In rural Czech its $0.90

Anyway the list could go on lol.

Prague Weaknesses.

Lots and Lots of stag and hen parties. Friday and Saturday and notorious for this and you will see loads of them around the city.

A lot of conmen and pick pockets. When changing money NEVER change with a man that will come up to you and offer you a better rate than the exchange office. They use old Russian, Ukrainian notes and try and pass them of as Czech currency. This has been a big problem, as stupid tourists fall for it.

Taxis will rip you off if your foreign. Keep to the main brand AAA Taxis and you will be fine. They will charge you well over $50 more than the fare cost.

Czech women are without a doubt world renowned as the most beautiful in the world. They are pretty easy to pick up and as there are soooo many good looking girls compared to good looking guys then they have to do with the ugly ones. It’s very common to see 8-10 girls going out with very ugly blokes. If you speak to them in English then you will have no problems. They are also amazing in bed and will be up for anything.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:59 AM

And a EPT event is scheduled for Prague!! Whoop Whoop!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:36 PM

How would you compare Slovakia with the Czech Republic?
Old 08-31-2007, 11:56 PM

Are drugs a crime? Is the punishment bad?
You mentioned what it costs to buy an apartment. What does it cost to rent an apartment?
Old 09-01-2007, 12:45 AM

I'm going to Prague (from London) in October. I'm 54, our group is (are?) all old farts like me. We like architecture, art, good restaurants, and good bars, but where the habitues would not be the age of our great-grandhchildren. Suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:32 AM

How much does it cost to rent an apartment there?
Old 09-01-2007, 10:47 PM

Are there any particular jazz clubs or venues to see live rock/indie bands that you would recommend?

Is Petrin hill worth checking out?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How would you compare Slovakia with the Czech Republic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very Different.

Slovakia used to be part of the former Cechoslovakia, but in 1992 they peacfully split.

I would say that Slovakia is more rural than Czech. Also its a smaller country with a lesser population than to Czech.

The only thing i can say is magical about Slovakia are the Tatra mountains. They honestly are one of the most beautiful mountain ranges in the world. With mountain tops reaching over 3000m its quite amazing sight.

They have a slighty different language than the Czechs, they do not pronounce their accents therefore it sounds a lot softer that the more harsh sounding Czech language.

I wouldn't really recommend Bratislava becuase its dark, dull and boring. The Shakespeare plays at the castle are the only nice things to see, but they wont be playing till summer 2008.

Honestly i would stay to Czech but if you feel more adventerous and are backpacking then i would check slovakia out.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are drugs a crime? Is the punishment bad?
You mentioned what it costs to buy an apartment. What does it cost to rent an apartment?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES drugs are ILLEGAL. They carry tough prison sentences but you wont be sentenced to death like other countries. If Police find drugs on a tourists then they will arrest them and treat them as a czech national.

The Czech nightlife scene has a pretty heavy drug usage but its been trageted by police.

But i would NOT recommend smuggling drugs in/out of the country as the airport is very strict and they check every hand luggage now. It will be very risky for anybody trying it!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any particular jazz clubs or venues to see live rock/indie bands that you would recommend?

Is Petrin hill worth checking out?

[/ QUOTE ]

The best Jazz bar is:

Agharta Jazz Club
Zelezna 16, Old Town, Prague 1

This is beacuse Agharta is a popular jazz club close to the Old Town Square, with a great atmosphere and superb acoustics. The musical style is fairly broad, covering jazz, blues, funk and swing. I love going to that bar and would recommend it.

and then

Reduta Jazz Club
Narodni 20, New Town, Prague 1

Founded in the 1950s, Reduta is one of Prague’s oldest and most well-known jazz clubs. It is famous for the ‘Two Presidents’ gig that featured Bill Clinton on the saxophone which was supposed the be amazing.

I would DEFINATELY recommend going to Petrin Hill. Once your on top of the mini eiffel tower you will get the most spectacular views of Prague. It is one of my most favourite locations in Prague. You can see Charles Bridge, Prague Castle, Museum, Poweder Gate, Vyshehrad and many many more sights.

I would not leave Prague without going up it. It has a lift that is included in your daily travle ticket or costs only 12KC if you dont have one which is about $0.75