Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Cuba Embargo

This has bugged me for a while, but it came up today when I heard that the Miami herald published an Obama op-ed piece criticizing the Bush Admin's recent tightening of the embargo. The fact of the matter is, Castro is way down on the brutal dictator list and Cuba isn't even close to deserving the treatment we heap on them (travel ban, remittance restrictions, trade ban).

On top of this, its become increasingly obvious that sanctions don't work to cause regime changes. Also the primary reason for the embargo, Castro hatred among Cuban expats, is weakenig. I don't know if Obama has a "Nixon goes to China" moment in him, but he's our best shot.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Cuba Embargo

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if Obama has a "Nixon goes to China" moment in him, but he's our best shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:45 PM

"On top of this, its become increasingly obvious that sanctions don't work to cause regime changes."

Yeah, increasingly obvious. After 20 years of sanctions failed to topple Castro, it was still iffy. After 30, the evidence got a bit clearer. 40 years and people with two brain cells to rub together started thinking that perhaps Castro was here to stay. But now, after 47 years, and Castro on his death bed, we've finally gotten to this point where letting people visit and send money to their relatives slightly more often is even on the political table. What a country!
Old 08-21-2007, 04:45 PM

PVN, Most likely to execute instead of most likely to support.

WW, I was thinking specificially in terms of sanctions on other countries, NK and Iraq are two easy ones.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:53 PM

Has there been anything studied or written about whether having an embargo against a place like Cuba acts as a deterrent to other nations in the US's sphere of influence to attaining similar adverse status? If so that could be a valid reason for keeping it place even if its not effective in terms of regime change and other overtly stated purposes.

It does however seem as though this is remnant of the cold war and due for some reevaluation especially if Cuba would become a profitable trading partner for the US businesses.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:54 PM

should have invaded Cuba instead of Iraq to get rid of this problem. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This has bugged me for a while, but it came up today when I heard that the Miami herald published an Obama op-ed piece criticizing the Bush Admin's recent tightening of the embargo. The fact of the matter is, Castro is way down on the brutal dictator list and Cuba isn't even close to deserving the treatment we heap on them (travel ban, remittance restrictions, trade ban).

On top of this, its become increasingly obvious that sanctions don't work to cause regime changes. Also the primary reason for the embargo, Castro hatred among Cuban expats, is weakenig. I don't know if Obama has a "Nixon goes to China" moment in him, but he's our best shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agreee with you on sanctions being generally bad and that they don't work for the desired political purposes (one exception I can think of at the moment, though: restriction of dual-use military equipment, as trying to keep that kind of stuff out of the hands of dictators is a good idea. But that's really a different issue).

Cuba is probably pretty far down the list of international concerns at the moment, but IMO it is prett silly that these ineffective (and by now, largely pointless) sanctions are still in place or are getting tightened. It's actually worse than silly, as some of the sanctions mentioned might prevent Cuban-Americans from adequately helping relieve the poverty of relatives or family still in Cuba.

More misguided policies courtesy of the massive federal government.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Fidel/Raul Die.....Then We Talk Trade

Communist Cuba under Castro has spread a lot of evil in the world.
Spreading wars in Africa, Central America, and South America. Then at the birth of communist Cuba, Castro stole a lot of American assets via nationalization. I think Americans have reason to be irritated with Castro.... Then that fool Kennedy tried to get payback via the Bay of Pigs and he screwed that up..... Typical....

The embargo won't be forever but if we open up trade with Cuba, Castro is the big winner and he could use the wealth from trade to finance more revolution like Hugo Chavez wants to. I don't want to reward Castro so my position is no trade until BOTH Castro brothers die (Fidel and Raul)... Both this men are despicable human beings that have killed millions of people with their attempts to spread communism. Screw them... After they die, then we can talk about normalizing our relationship with Cuba.

PS
Cuban cigars suck! I tried some in the Caribb and I was VERY disappointed.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Fidel/Raul Die.....Then We Talk Trade

[ QUOTE ]
Communist Cuba under Castro has spread a lot of evil in the world.
Spreading wars in Africa, Central America, and South America. Then at the birth of communist Cuba, Castro stole a lot of American assets via nationalization. I think Americans have reason to be irritated with Castro.... Then that fool Kennedy tried to get payback via the Bay of Pigs and he screwed that up..... Typical....

The embargo won't be forever but if we open up trade with Cuba, Castro is the big winner and he could use the wealth from trade to finance more revolution like Hugo Chavez wants to. I don't want to reward Castro so my position is no trade until BOTH Castro brothers die (Fidel and Raul)... Both this men are despicable human beings that have killed millions of people with their attempts to spread communism. Screw them... After they die, then we can talk about normalizing our relationship with Cuba.

PS
Cuban cigars suck! I tried some in the Caribb and I was VERY disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You rewarded castro? He's using your BIG AMERICAN DOLLAR to finance more revolution! I'm reporting you to the neocon reeducation center immediately. Do not run, agents will arrive shortly to take you away.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PVN, Most likely to execute instead of most likely to support.

WW, I was thinking specificially in terms of sanctions on other countries, NK and Iraq are two easy ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is my reading comprehension out here or are you suggesting that it is possible, if not likely, Ron Paul would call for the execution of Castro? Or are you merely stating chances of him supporting Castro are so slim that execution is slightly less unrealistic?