Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Pooh Bah Post tl;dr

[ QUOTE ]
I never tilt because of variance it is always because I played a hand bad

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I can get sucked out on and/or coolered all day and I'm like w/e, but if I call down when I know I'm beat it's like I go on instatilt. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2007, 01:55 AM

Thats a good point, I definitely go on some pretty big tilt when I make a bad call or whatever also.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
punch the floor

[/ QUOTE ]

this is very bad advice...I did this once and broke my hand (not from poker tho).

[/ QUOTE ]man ur about an donk as garret
Old 11-25-2007, 02:30 AM

I cant freaking believe you are a poohbah
Old 11-25-2007, 02:47 AM

I still haven't come to grips with tilt. Poker can be frustrating at times. Those are when I just quit playing for a while. Usually after 30 mins or so I am fine and can play again. I just try to stop myself once start feeling tilted and do something else.

About a week ago was the worst of all. After losing seemingly every hand for two weeks and getting owned every time I sat down it started to affect me outside of poker. I was pissed off at people for no reason, etc. Took a few days off for the holiday and I never want to get like that again.

My best advice is to stop playing. It's the only thing that works for me.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:49 AM

I think I play a lot worse if I am playing like I am hanging in front of a tv. For me that's not the best way to approach it. A better way to view poker, at least for me, is seeing it as sport. When you play a match, you need a good warming-up. The same holds true for poker. So I drink a cup of coffee, make sure I am not tired (don't play after having worked for 6 hours behind a computer screen), take a shower, make sure I work out enough (not really a problem for me), don't set goals in terms of money, set a stopping time (my play deteriorates a lot after something like 2 hours) and leave my computer for a while. If I follow this routine I have the feeling I can think about the big picture and accept the loss of a pot better.

Finally, I think it's really important to note that most of the time villains aren't playing back at us, but just have a good run of cards. Don't start a dick measuring contest to find this out at showdown. And if you do feel you are getting outplayed, find a better table. Don't forget we are at microstakes.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:20 AM

100% Agreed OP.

Variance/Coolers dont tilt me too much if my money goes to a decent reg, but I just go [censored] nuts when theres some [censored] up 70/10 monkey that sits there 400BB deep who took 3buy ins from me because he hits [censored] cards all day long and outdraws me every single time.

It just doesnt feel fair that the fish is getting the money when he cant play for [censored] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 11-25-2007, 06:23 AM

things that cure my tilt:

-running hot

-taking a break

only one of these options is under your control
Old 11-25-2007, 07:31 AM

Nice post - I am very prone to tilt and it took me ages to realise it. It's very difficult for some people because of temperament and easy for others because of same. I found the biggest help was making sure you're over-rolled for the level you're playing. I'm a good winner over a large sample at NL100 but I found I was playing very badly for a while - just going into autopilot and not improving anything at all. Meanwhile I was withdrawing and playing on a short bankroll which increased tilt. Enjoying the game and improving so I can appreciate better play is my main goal since poker is just a hobby for me. But I was starting not to enjoy it. I take a break now and then and don't play for a few weeks.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:43 AM

In my experience you have to get used to variance at each level individually. (It's not that different but the absolute value is...which can affect your emotions and therefore affect your playing.....disagreements?) I maybe be wrong.

However, let's say 50NL.... I was not good and then I started gettting good and I was beating it...then I was playing 100NL and I was doing dumb [censored] and I was being overagggro and throing away money.

Then I got used to 100NL and got used to having variance at that level which meant bigger swings.

Looking back I find it funny that the swings at 50NL at the imte meant nothing to me and the ones at 100NL were like god hitting me in the face.

In my opinion everything else being equal it is a comfort level thing....and when you immediately move up you will not be comfortable with the the monetary amounts....you should an hopefully will become comfortable with htis very quickly especially if you turn out to be a winner up there.

This is related to your bankroll which needs to be big enough to accomodate you.

Also taking a shot of a set # of BI'S's may help with this....I have never tried this though so I have no personal opinions to offer.