Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Failed stack a donk vs random river aggro

I usually bet a little more on the flop because you can get a lot of value from pocket pairs and random 8's. On the turn I dont really like the check i feel you can still get a lot of value from the same hands as the flop as the 5 isn't terrible scary.

I call the push pretty fast.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 PM

I was thinking about my bet sizing but the flop is so dry that I thought that a difference in bet size was negligible. Plus maybe I was being hopeful but I was thinking I could possibly get 2 callers on a 5 bet as opposed to 1 on a 6.5. There really isnt anything to protect against so I would want some random mid pp to think "oh a small bet and a small flop, I can call that"
Old 11-22-2007, 12:03 AM

board isn't very good for stack a donk btw. If he bets like half pot on the turn I don't think I'd ever raise. Might check/call check/call.

Your river bet is pretty big btw. I'd be surprised if he's trying to bluff that, but at the same time he shouldn't be checking the turn with any two pair hands. I could see check raising the river if the dude is prone to bet TT+ here when checked too. Should have a solid read to pull that one tho.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:07 AM

Say I bet like 12 on the river, can I fold even then? It seems like any normal size bets gets me to put in around 40% or more of my stack. I had no read on villain other than stats and he gave me no reason to believe he is going to bet this river. I would have wanted to smack myself if I check and he checks behind 99 or some [censored].
Old 11-22-2007, 12:20 AM

Without knowing he shoved the river I wouldn't think he's much stronger than TT here, so thats why I'd lean towards a smaller bet rather than a big potsized bet. You could conceivably do that with JJ+ here since villian cold called button...

On a board that dry betting into 3 opponents no matter what betsize you do on the river he's almost never going to believe your betting with air twice.

If the guy is bluffing its really spewy on his part. You show up with JJ+ here a lot and it's a pretty weird river card for you to fold on.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:25 AM

problem is your range looks really polarized after that pot sized bet, I'm not saying that the bet size was bad (it could be though), but it makes things tough when he shoves. However, you are getting 3:1 and there really aren't many combos that you lose to. A3s, 43s, 22/33/55/88 so that's 9. i divided sets by 2 because it's unlikely. In fact I think I'm being a little generous. We need to be ahead of only 3 combos. I think that makes it a call, esp given the turn check.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:02 AM

I agree with Checkthenuts about the river bet sizing and the reason for it. His river shove really doesn't look like a bluff. Few villians would shove over a PSB as a bluff after you bet into the field on the flop and although you checked the turn your river bet wouldn't look like air to me. And on this board given the action it's probably either air or big pair+ so if he had a mediocre hand he would call. It's sick because of the odds you're getting on a call. I would say call but with the right read it'd be a fold and it's probably marginal either way.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:30 AM

I'm likely betting the turn. Don't know how strong your stats read about him being a floater is, but given it's 4-ways on the flop, there's still plenty of value to be made from his made hands and he's likely to pot control with these hands I think betting is probably better.

I bet less on the river. Now I think I fold. If he did float the flop he would have bet the turn when you checked so when he checks the turn it's likely either with a monster or a bluff catcher (there's no draws without sd value). He won't push a bluff catcher on the river so voila, monster. Great odds make it close though.

Also OP, you get one vote from me being the worst nitpicker in the thread. Baba explained why he would bet the turn and why it would be better to crai turn if it had be a true stack-a-donk situation, one of the better posts in the thread.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:36 AM

I think you should fold here. You'd be happy if he called, but when he raises you are almost never good. I think he has some kind of hand or a missed draw. A missed draw never bluffs over a big bet at this level imho, and a weak hand would just call, not turn into a bluff.

Also I would just c/c or c/f river, as played. I think at this point KK has more value as a bluff catcher.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:37 AM

Nick what stakes are you playing and for how long?