Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Re: November \"I FORGOT MY MANTRA\" Low Content chit-chat thread

[ QUOTE ]
November 5th here in a few days, where they'll be a ton of fireworks and bonfires, many of which will have an effigy of Guy Fawkes on top of it.

1605 it was, and we've never really forgiven the papacy for supporting the plot to overthrow the English parliament. Ya don't mess with the English and get off easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Guy Fawkes. I lived in London (Golders Green to be exact) when I was 7 and 8 years old and I had completely forgotten about Guy Fawkes Day. The title is ironic in that way.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:33 AM

Kimbell,

I have no knowledge of such topic. Therefore, I recommend you incorporate some sort of explanations as to why you appreciate them and stuff. Then I'll be more likely to check them out.

That said, that's just the opinion of someone who would check in on the thread but not contribute much. But it's a start for you, to help you weigh your options. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2007, 02:25 AM

kimball, I think an amalgamation of them all would be awesome.

I personally love female artists because rock(and to be honest, all music) is such a male driven art that it's always interesting to really delve into the females that drive the art. It's a different perspective and it's a perspective that I always welcome

on a completely different topic, right now, I'm watching before sunset again. Solo's post made me want to watch it again. what can I say, I just love this film on so many different levels
Old 11-04-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Solo's post made me want to watch it again. what can I say, I just love this film on so many different levels

[/ QUOTE ]

Only in the Lounge would people actually read that monster. It was like writing four discussions at once. <3

I wonder if I could teach Before Sunrise in an AP English class sometime? Haha.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So there's a thread that The Lounge needs, but I want to discuss a bit before starting it, to make sure we do it right. As has come up in a bunch of disparate discussions both recently and in the past, Dom and me and daveT and others have a soft spot for female singer/songwriters. I'm sure I could summon up endless paragraphs of my love for Aimee and Neko and Bjork and countless others, but what form do you guys think the thread should take? A contest like the hot movie people, or a critical discussion of albums, or 'link to an artist no one has heard of,' or...?

[/ QUOTE ]

My vote is critical discussion and some recommendations. If this comes to pass, I'm going to throw down Patricia Barber. You and Dom have your work cut out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2007, 04:51 AM

Thanks for the input, guys, and keep it coming. After thinking about it more, I'm pretty sure that there are enough artists and enough posters who will show up with their favorite that we don't have to worry too much about keeping it going. I just don't want it to be

"hey, anyone heard of Patricia Barber?"
"nope. anyone heard of Nellie McKay?"
"nope"
"..."
"..."

so there's gotta be some kind of structure to this thing, you know? Some way where everyone is connected to a central, moving discussion instead of just making isolated posts.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the input, guys, and keep it coming. After thinking about it more, I'm pretty sure that there are enough artists and enough posters who will show up with their favorite that we don't have to worry too much about keeping it going. I just don't want it to be

"hey, anyone heard of Patricia Barber?"
"nope. anyone heard of Nellie McKay?"
"nope"
"..."
"..."

so there's gotta be some kind of structure to this thing, you know? Some way where everyone is connected to a central, moving discussion instead of just making isolated posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could it be like the DVD Club? (Chick singer song club) With many having access to stuff like Napster and Itunes it might be interesting to have an artist of the week or tune of the day type of thing??
Old 11-04-2007, 01:29 PM

Kimbell. I am contested out. And I would like to think that someone would toggle this in their faves for more than the pictures.

I think a critical discussion of albums, links, reviews on looks and fashions. I think having everyone write shining reviews of their favorite female artists, and especially individual songs by female artists would be the best way. There are several songs that I like, but can't stand the rest of her stuff. "Fragile" by Jennifer Marks comes to mind.

I like how you came here and decided to discuss it first.

Edit to add: Simply writing: love Mozilla, is not going to cut it. There is no way to enforce the rule, but if you are going to put this much pre-thought into it, may as well up the ante a bit.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:21 AM

Can I change the topic for a minute? I'm having work problems.

I'm dreading going into work today. There's this guy who is giving me a hard time. He's decided to comment on everything I say, even my tone of voice. I could make a comment on the donuts and he lashes out at me. It's become bizarre. Once he told me he was going to punch me in the face if I didn't sit back down in my seat. It was truly out in left field seeing as how he is my friend. We were never enemies.

Friday he scolded me in front of all our coworkers for my "attitude". It was the most frustrating situation because he butted in where he wasn't needed and then had the nerve to comment on my tone of voice with another manager. He was serious too. I was like "are you kidding?" He goes "no I am not kidding."

I mean up until Friday this guy was my friend. Everyone comments on how well he and I work together. We've gone out socially and even been to each other's homes. We've been paired up to work evenings together because we get along so great. He tried to make up for his poor behavior late in the day but I was pretty depressed about it. Why would a guy who is 8 years younger than me become increasingly aggressive?

Btw, he's extremely obnoxious to his wife. He's almost a bully. Personally I can't stand to listen to him on the phone. It makes me cringe.

Any advice on how to handle a coworker like this? Talking to him about it makes him go all red in the face.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:44 AM

Show him your toes?
Seriously, *EMAIL* him a detailed note with a friendly tone. Sign, 'your friend Katy'. Dont ask him why just tell him how u see it/feel.
He probably is going through something very private and very serious (lost money, missed promo, mistress died).

Don't let it fester. GL.
Closed Thread